Exercise

Originally posted by Ardross@Jul 24 2006, 04:56 PM

Fair comment about a group of 50 year olds ambling about on a village green but not about the professional game.

I'll have you know my Grandad and his team were well into their 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's and possibly their 60's (I think that was the umpire though) and I think those over 50 would take great exception to that comment. I am sure they, like some on here felt they were under great physical and mental strain during the game.

Even more so when they were trying to work out why all the egg and cress sarnies had gone by 4pm! :blink:

I took up 'cricket' about 3 months ago. I work for a techie company and we have the pleasure of hiring many engineers and designers in the sub contintent and further afield. They formed a works cricket team and I signed up. We play a bastardised game once a week with all sorts of rag ball rovers equipment.

I have rarely enjoyed anything as much - the best part of it is the 'sledging' these guys from India give each other. It is unrelenting and they argue over everything. I have developed a deceptive slow ball, and batting average is up to 4.

But it could never be described as exercise.

Originally posted by Ardross@Jul 24 2006, 04:56 PM
What I find perplexing is that someone who is generally very well informed says something like " Cricket a sport? Just about. But it is hardly vigorous exercise."
Given that the topic concerns ways of getting some exercise, I don't see the problem with that.

You say that fitness is at a premium in cricket. I can think of very few professional sports for which fitness is less important. Cricket is a beautiful game, but to defend it by claiming that it is a sport that demands excessively high levels of fitness is a non-runner, in my book.

Anybody tried the luge? I've always fancied that - looks fabulously fast, with the prospect of a really good tip-over as an incentive to do it right. Nice thing is, having seen that female fatty who DID tip-over and went hurtling along on her Bouncy Castle-size bum, it looks like something I'd be pretty good at.

Back