F****** Cheltenham

redhead

At the Start
What a bunch of thick-witted, moronic, dayglo-coated morons.

My day was totally ruined yesterday and I nearly got arrested for questioning the logic of the pillock in charge of the security team on the stairway from the Paddock Stand onto the Members' Lawn.

I and several other people have been standing on the landing opposite the horsewalk for over 20 years. Racecourse managers have passed us by, even on the busiest days, and never told us that we were obtstructing the stairway, which is wide enough to take 5/6 people abreast.

The landings on the stairway facing the Paddock was quite literally dripping with people, like window boxes, but none of these were told to clear the stairs (I spoke to some who had been there for two days).

Yesterday, some little Jobsworth told us that the Racecourse Management had told them that we were not allowed to stand on the first 3 stairways or 2 lower landings, but that we were welcome to view the racing from the third landing.

In order to see through the concrete block of the JA viewing area, we were told to kneel or crouch on said landing (between 2 flights of stairs) to watch the racing through the 2 foot gap beneath it.

I fail to see how this improves the Health and Safety of either myself or my fellow racegoers, who can either walk on me or fall over me. When I pointed this out the Police were called - very politely listened and said that yes, they could, technically, arrest me, but that it was such a lovely day that they didn't want to.

Surely the Racecourse Management don't hold their Annual Members in such low esteem as to, firstly, expect us to grovel on our hands and knees to watch the racing through a 2-foot gap, and secondly to risk life and limb (ours and our fellow racegoers) to comply with such an insulting and ludicrous order.

When I see Edward today I am going to hand my badge over and tell him that, in compliance with the Terms and Conditions, I cannot (and will not) comply with this order so will surrender my badge. I will also tell him that if Cheltenham holds its Members in such low esteem, I no longer wish to be a Member and will no longer attend any of its meetings.

That will be a wrench, but there are 50-odd other racecourses and I can always watch from home, have a bet and a drink for free in the comfort of my armchair.

You couldn't make it up! :blink:

:mad:

Last edited:
I'm a bit surprised at your post, Redhead, as people standing on stairways is something I personally hate and get annoyed about. I don't wish to upset or offend you but it's something which is not only annoying but dangerous as it obstructs the passages. I have to move about in my work, which involves moving about both during and directly after races, and there is little more infuriating than people blocking stairways and/or thoroughways.

I feel very sorry for the 'jobsworths' when they're shrieked at by 'don't you know who I am' types - often long-term racegoers and especially Annual Members, who don't seem to realise that racecourses now have to abide by the same rules as all sports stadia, which means NO STANDING IN STAIRWAYS. If someone collapses, you want the medics up the stairs quickly to them, if a fire breaks out, you want a clear run down, not obstructed by some ancients on their Zimmers who've been 'always' standing there since 1939.

A lot of things have changed over the past few years at racecourses, all part of them being fully licensed and allowed to open for business. There are now access ramps, sprinklers, fire extinguishers, fire doors, fire escapes, alarms, health/safety/security officers in place and enough doctors, ambulances, paramedics and First Aiders to provide immediate help to not just stricken jockeys, but stricken customers. Years ago, you didn't even have wooden rails, let alone break-down plastic ones, separating the run up the straight from the unrestricted crowds. You wouldn't have seen a fire extinguisher or a First Aider anywhere - although quite a few bobbies, mostly to keep irate punters from beaning the bookies or the unprotected returning jockeys.

Sorry, Redhead, but there is no way anyone should've stood on any stairways. They are access only to and from one place to another - like a sitting-room to a bathroom, where you don't expect to find the family sitting. I don't care if folks have clogged them up since they were built - times have changed, and, thanks to the dreadful incidents at many football stadia in particular, which are what have provoked the Health & Safety Executive to view all sports venues in a similar light (however much this leads to a gnashing of teeth), there are now dozens more rules in place about how you look after your paying customers. Every course has a safety/security officer burdened by a collection of handbooks on signage, road access safety, horsebox safety, restaurant safety, evacuation procedures (suspicious package/bomb alert/fire), horse welfare, you-name-it.

If racecourses fail to abide by these rules, they not only can, but will, be shut down until they correct their failings. Personally, I'd rather have a medic reach a person having a heart attack without having to try to squirm through irate, slightly-inconvenienced racegoers, than not.

Last edited:
If racecourses fail to abide by these rules, they not only can, but will, be shut down until they correct their failings. Personally, I'd rather have a medic reach a person having a heart attack without having to try to squirm through irate, slightly-inconvenienced racegoers, than not.

Well put

I see your points ladies and Gagsie - but you are missing my point.

My complaint was that we were told by the Jobsworth that the Racecourse Directive had ordered them to tell us that we could view the racing on our hands and knees on a landing between two staircases that are busy.

We were upset that the Management held us in such low esteem as to demand that we grovel on hands and knees to watch a race through a 2-foot gap, whilst passers-by walked over us.

I still fail to see how this is more compliant with Health and Safety, which is why I questioned it.

Apart from which, there are much better places to actually watch the race from – which we do.

I shall address your points individually as this will be a long post.

Krizon - I never would scream at someone trying to do their job (God knows, I've been on the receiving end often enough) and generally comply as they are always polite when they ask us to do something. I did not scream at the Day-glo wonder. He accompanied me to the designated spot and I pointed out that it was very busy and asked how it was safer for me and other people.

He couldn't answer because his Supervisor had told him to say it. The problem was that every time a customer with a query went to see her, the Supervisor would conveniently not be at her post. I asked him to ask her to attend me and was waiting for her there when she sent the policeman up in her stead. He looked around and actually agreed with me, which is all that I wanted. I asked him if he would make a report on it and he agreed to do this, so I accompanied him downstairs and he asked me for a tip and we stood and chatted about the racing.

Shadow - The staircase we were standing on – for all of a minute - is rarely used - the Manager didn't even know where it was. We are not on the landing all the time - just long enough to watch the horses pass. We arrive as the first horse goes by and depart as the last horse passes. We obstruct no-one because only about 20 people per meeting use that staircase - the stand that it leads to is very exposed and not much used and the front staircase by the paddock is more convenient.

The people who caused the problem were those who only visit for the major meetings (2) and expected to stand there all the time to view the races. I only got involved because I questioned the advisability of the designated area.

Outcome
When I spoke to the Manager yesterday, he was shocked that were told to do this and assured me that it was not directed by Management.

We are happy to comply with Racecourse rulings – but I asked him to make it clear to those who visit less often. He asked what I advised and I told him to put signs up and make a regular entry in the racecard.

Yesterday, the Day-glo wonder – his name is Peter – thanked me for being the only person who was not rude and for pointing out to him that the area he had been told to send everyone was actually quite dangerous. (Apparently it allowed him and his team to score points over their Supervisor at the end of day debriefing, because they felt that she failed to support them.)

Ladies - I am really quite hurt that you see me as a person who would be so rude, undignified and undisciplined as to scream and shout to get my own way. I am more likely to be walked on by others who are that way inclined, but this I felt needed sorting and I did it my way.

By talking – with a smile – and the Manager and the Security chaps smiled back – and sympathised and promised to get something done.

Something very wierd happened to us on our way back to the car, which annoyed us terribly. We were in a hurry to get on the road; were walking towards the car when we saw a wallet lying on the ground with a twenty pound note half hanging out of it. I said to Mike that, even though we were pushed for time, we really had to hand it in to a policeman. He found a stewardy type person, who shouted to him as he walked away that, having opened the wallet it was found to be an advertising gimic. I then bumped into the person that was scattering these wallets around the car park, and told him it was a pretty dumb idea; his reply being that he thought it was rather clever. What annoyed us was the assumption that anyone finding a wallet with money in it would pick it up and look inside. Now, if I found a wallet anywhere else I would probably do so in order to find a contact name or telephone number, but we didn't like to do that in a situation where the chances of finding that person to contact was pretty remote and, as I say we were in a great hurry to get home. Are we being petty to be so annoyed; perhaps, in our dotage we are turning into Mr and Mrs Grumpy?

That would be annoying as you have taken time to do what you saw as being the right thing, only to find that it is actually a gimmick and that you have missed the break before the traffic.

You were probably tired after a long day and feeling a bit insulted that this person scattering wallets would assume that everyone would be dishonest enough to pick it up just for the £20 note.

Last edited:
Ladies - I am really quite hurt that you see me as a person who would be so rude, undignified and undisciplined as to scream and shout to get my own way. I am more likely to be walked on by others who are that way inclined, but this I felt needed sorting and I did it my way. [/FONT][/COLOR]

If it wasn't clear in my post, I didn't think you would be screaming and shouting, sorry if you thought otherwise.

This sounds like a bizarre situation, it's unbelievable that anyone would be expected to get on their hands and knees!

I do stand by my not standing on stairs bugbear though I'm afraid - I have dreadful problems moving around the racecourse and getting to and from my working pitch due to people blocking stairs and throughfares by standing on them en-masse. I appreciate that this may not have been the case in this scenario though.

All week moving to and from my working pitch at Cheltenham was an utter nightmare - the way up and down was constantly blocked, as well as the way to the door back into the stands, and often people weren't especially willing to move to let anyone pass either. I did lose my cool with some pisshead who thought it was funny to plant his foot by the door so I couldn't open it on my way out - I was trying to make a quick exit to avoid the crowds and thus ensure I could get out quickly and make it back to feed the animals yet he was grinning away holding his pint and coming out with wisecracks whilst he held he foot against the door. Cue yanking the door open hard and calling said tosser an unfavourable name that could probably be guessed at....

Last edited:
At Newmarket you always seem to get a bunch of "lads" who stand in a circle with lagers and terrible suits (last worn in court) who seem to find just the right spot to generate a "did you spill my beer?" response. Get that at sandown too and ive happily taken the chance and barged and spilt the beer...tossers

Point is (as SL rightly says) getting around on big days is hard work and i have every sympathy for the dayglow brigade

I don't know why the 'little jobsworth' or 'the pillock in charge' called the Police to deal with what was just - I assume - a polite request for you not to stand on the stairs, Redhead. Cops are called only as a last resort to plead a case which customers have ignored from lesser mortals, so I take it you refused to budge for the jobsworth/pillock, even if you didn't budge politely. I can't imagine the Police bothering to respond to anything less than what would've been considered a difficult situation. The Federation is paid a fortune for their PCs to attend these events, and they usually only respond to radioed requests for help with thieves/violence/threats/criminal damage and fights, and not just trying to urge a polite, quiet lady to get off the stairway.

But, whatever went on, stairways should not be obstructed. Regrettably, not everyone who works for a racecourse is aware of the immense new legislation now burdening stadia's safety and security officers - not even (I'm sorely tempted to say especially) management, who should be aware of the policies. Thus, anyone trying to say it'll be okay to stand on stairways in future is just plain wrong. If you think about it, it doesn't make sense, does it? In fact, far from racegoers cluttering up access points, they should be pointing out to the racecourse executive where these take place, since they can cause hindrance to safety and medical vehicles and personnel.

Last edited:
Oh I'm with Redhead here guys, I was astounded By some of the jumped up little twats on a power trip with their "steward" jackets.

There was one old chap with a grey beard in between tatts and members down by track who was chasing people and screaming at them to show their club badges like he was stopping people at checkpoint Charlie.

Total prick

Last edited:
No, he's not, Harry. If you've paid to go into one enclosure, you won't be best pleased to have it overrun by people who've paid less than you, and are just barging past the stewards. You'd soon enough be asking him to do his job if a mob just came charging into your more expensive enclosure, ignoring him and giving anyone who objected the finger. Also, the man's age is irrelevant - would you prefer it was a young woman?

In Redhead's case, the 'jobsworth' was only doing what he should be doing, with or without instructions - although I've never heard anything so absurd as telling people to crouch down like dogs to watch racing. Now that bit truly is ridiculous.

Last edited:
Dear Redhead,
just to try and make you feel a little better. Your security person sounds like Einstien,compared to the buffoon in charge at the Gateshead V Darlington football match this afternoon.

Kri, I've been a member for the last 22 festivals and I have seen all kinds of "security" believe me this guy was a wanker

And that's my last post and view on this topic

Last edited:
Two stewards, for H&S reasons, stopped Lester Piggott walking through the winners' enclosure until after the horses had been taken away.

Not a H&S issue but this reminded me - apparently LP and Peter O'Sullivan were asked to move from their table in the restaurant in order to make way for Katie Price (aka Jordan or whatever she's calling herself these days) :blink: Makes you wonder if the management have their priorities right.

Not a H&S issue but this reminded me - apparently LP and Peter O'Sullivan were asked to move from their table in the restaurant in order to make way for Katie Price (aka Jordan or whatever she's calling herself these days) :blink: Makes you wonder if the management have their priorities right.

If that is true the management should be shot. I was standing down in front of the guinness stand when her and her hangers on/ lackeys walked past. Got moved out the road for her and the photographers walking past. Total attention seeking bint :mad:

Okay, some safety nannying can go too far (re Lester Piggott)! But all racecourses will soon have to have the bulk and eventually all of their raceday staff trained to a basic level. I was one of a bunch trained via Telford College for Lingfield and now have an NVQ Level 2 in Crowd Control & Safety. (Personally, I'm legging it and let you lot take your chances.) :whistle: There's a fairly hefty guidebook to go with the photo ID badge I'm supposed to wear visibly on a leash - a lot of this is window-dressing to appease H&S stadia regulations, but, at the same time, if your raceday stewards don't know where you should go in case of a bomb threat/dodgy package/outbreak of fire, you could possibly find yourself a bit damaged.

The H&S and First Aid courses cost racecourses hundreds of ££ per person in fees and paid attendance, so you have to believe that they want their trained staff to ensure that the investment is well spent, and that they do their work to the standard expected.

In all seriousness, parade rings are far too crowded these days as multiple owners, trainers, officials and reporters can all go in, and, as the terrible story of Chris Kinane still tells, it's a split second only for a horse to wreck your and your family's life.

Last edited:
Is it awful of me to not want Katie Price to be associated with my favourite sport? Is it really true that Sir Peter had to move for her? I don't know what to say to that.

It was in Saturday's RP. I know you can never be 100% sure it's true but it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was.

Do you mean to say, Moehat, that you haven't been buying your favourite horseys the lovely bright pink Katie Price rugs, boots, and pwetty pink bwidles from her range of fashion items for equines? There are also pretty pink sweatshirts, blousons and tees for you lovely ladeeze to wear, so that you can match up with Your Little Pony.

What was amazing was her appearance at Hickstead a year or two back (bear in mind she's a local Brightonian), where she was mobbed by girl pre-teenies wanting her autograph, and buying the gear like crazy! I hear she's a half-good competitor, though I haven't seen her showjumping yet. Given her embonpoint, I can imagine the commentary... "And here's local lass Katie breasting the triple bar - and now here's the rest of her horse... "

Back