Fairyhouse 2011

Bar the Bull

At the Start
There looks to be some nice racing on here this weekend.

Over the past 10 years, the Powers Gold Cup is arguably the weakest Grade 1 chase in Ireland. However if they all stand their ground this year we will be spoiled. Loosen My Load, Mikael d'Haguenet, Mr Cracker, Noble Prince, Realt Dubh, Quel Esprit, Thegreatjohnbrowne, Blazing Tempo and Saludos are entered.

In fact, the race looks so good, I am tempted to bring the Bull Family along for a day's racing. It is Family Day.

Am I mad? I have only been there once, and back then the only concern was queues for the bar. What is the racecourse like for families? What will the traffic be like, given that it is to be 20C and sunny and Easter Sunday? Will I park without losing my sanity?

Any other tips, other than Taafe's in the bumper?

Thanks, etc.

Was there Easter Sunday last year, wasnt jammed by any means, park in the car park a 2 or 3 minute walk from the turnstile. As regards what the family fun day offers, Im not so sure. What i do know is that its easy to get around, good views of the horses and easy to get in and out of.

Last edited:
Surprised at the lack of interest in the big race today - arguably the race of the weekend. Despite his defeat behind Jessie's Dream in the Drinmore Realt Dubh has always looked like an animal who would appreciate two and a half miles and I make his a half decent wager to beat Noble Prince today. Bit worried about his drift on Betfair though.

Last edited:
A little maybe, but it can't be much faster than it was at Cheltenham. He's trading longer than MDH now and that cannot be right.

I've had to place-lay Mikael at around 6/4......logic made me do it with ground and obstacles apparently against him.....but part of me still hopes he jumps like a stag and wins hard-held.

I had a little interest bet in the w/o fav market on both Gigginstown horses, Roi Du Mee may hate the ground but his last race aside he is usually a consistent performer and Mr Cracker would maybe be better at 3m but looks in fine fettle and could set a real good pace which would test a few of the market favs, so I have given myslef three places. The favourite looks solid hence the interest bet.

Unlucky. The race was the polar opposite of the Irish Arkle where it was RD who travelled the better and NP who was being harried some way out. Certainly fortunate to collect there.

I think Noble Prince would have hung on but any chance Meade is thinking he went for the wrong race at Cheltenham? Teh Bord Na Mona is looking some race now.

Last edited:
Backing three based on the 'wont mind going right handed nor the ground' recipe, Caim Hill, Some Target and Golden Kite

Quantitativeasing worth a try at a marathon trip, imo, and might not be all that harshly treated off 142 (though wouldn't have stones in hand either). I'll probably back him.

I think Willie Mullins could be on the verge of one of his winning streaks, Blackstairmountain comes to life this time of year and seems to prefer right handed tracks, I would add Dare To Doubt who I think on this track will take some pegging back.

Dare To Doubt (Fairyhouse3.45) bled at Limerick last time when beaten odds on so put a line through the run.

I like Eoin Griffens horse in this the Last Derby - think he has been crying out for this ground and trip - really fancied him for the Plate last year - he ran reasonably well and this race sprang to mind immediately as a better fit. He is as exposed as the rest but should give a good account at a decent price. Also like Some Target but the price is gone.

Backing three based on the 'wont mind going right handed nor the ground' recipe, Caim Hill, Some Target and Golden Kite

I'm a fan of Some Target - he should be much better suited here - jumped right at nearly every fence in the Cheltenham 4 miler and did really well to finish 5th on a track that clearly didn't suit.
http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video/Racing/0,27770,416364,00.html
Watched that Cheltenham race a few times now he's in Dark Blue - fancy he's still unexposed and improving although jockey bookings are a it puzzling unless Walsh or Casey can't do the weight.

Good racing there today:

I'm focusing mostly on the bumper - looks a lovely P2Pers race and the fav is IMO clearly the best horse in the race, was qualified over here in the UK last year but the trainer was of the opinion the horse was too good for UK points and sent him to Ian Ferguson in Ireland. The horse is a machine and won in the fastest time of the day last time out despite being heavily eased late on - Simonsig is a very worthy favourite and should win.

Simonsig is the joint top rated 5yo in Ireland this year - and the other also runs in this in the shape of Done En Dusted who's won two of his last three starts and would likely have made it his last 3 but for falling two out last time out, he's currently available at 16/1 and is well worth a bet. The third horse I like the look of in this is another with plenty of experience in the shape of Commanchewardance who won well at Loughbrickland late last month, his best form has come on a softer surface which is a worry but he stays well and if granted an easy lead he could be hard to peg back, he's 16/1 too at the moment.

Martin

Back