Fame and Glory - may run on Sunday

Ardross

Senior Jockey
Last year's bridesmaid may reappear in the Alleged Stakes the RP reports . Let's hope he wins a few this year and Steve M can get back some of the money he lost unwisely opposing Sea The Stars :p

I see him more as a 12f than a 10f horse really - and a Jockey Club Stakes and Coronation Cup campaign before the KG would suit but somehow I expect we will see him in the Ganay or Tatts instead.

Like to see them busy with him early in the season and then late on again. Not an Ascot ground horse at all I would not have thought. Looking forward to seeing how he has progressed as a 4 year old.

Like to see them busy with him early in the season and then late on again. Not an Ascot ground horse at all I would not have thought. Looking forward to seeing how he has progressed as a 4 year old.

Maybe but he ran one of his best races of the year chasing home STS in the Derby.

Maybe but he ran one of his best races of the year chasing home STS in the Derby.

Its been well argued (and we don't have to go there again :)) that I do not think Fame And Glory (or indeed STS) was seen near their best on Epsom Derby day.

Somehow I can't see him being a Grp 1 winner over 1m2 at 2 and 4. That would be weird !
Where he ends up at stud might have a lot to do with what St Nic does this year.

Last edited:
I think a part of the reason they have him out early is to get a Group 1 in the bag before the better middle distance horses appear, and hope his fitness edge gets him this. He is simply not good enough to win a decent Group 1. I would love him to mop up an early season race, have AOB talk him up and then race against Dar re mi, where I imagine the odds would be very nice indeed for Gosden's outstanding mare.

Last year's bridesmaid may reappear in the Alleged Stakes the RP reports . Let's hope he wins a few this year and Steve M can get back some of the money he lost unwisely opposing Sea The Stars :p

He always promised to make up into an even better 4yo and but for STS he may not have been kept in training, so I'm grateful to STS for that. He is a fine middle-distance animal and should take some beating this season... so yes recouping would be nice.

I would like to see them ride him much more positively this year - for such a stronger stayed his positioning in a few of his races last year was pretty strange.

I would like to see them ride him much more positively this year - for such a stronger stayed his positioning in a few of his races last year was pretty strange.

...you're preaching to the converted. While he won't quicken like Dancing Brave or Montjeu, once he's into his flow he'll outgallop pretty much anything. We've spoken about the Derby... if they were trying to get him beat in that they couldn't have done much better.

What about the Arc? Well beaten, and no pace excuses.

Ground on the quick side and it was actually a pretty slowly run race as the pacemakers were ignored. He should have followed hem rather than sticking in behind a wall of horses. Best horse obviously won though.

Surely it was quicker in the Derby though?

Do you think (not being funny) that he needs it soft to slow the others down?

I think you've hit the nail on the head there Hamm, if yielding or soft is in the going description he'd prefer it, not soft or heavy though, he moves well.

I do not know if it was faster run than the Derby but even saying it is does not say much for the pace of the Arc. The Derby form is very misleading - over 12 furlong the first two in the Derby are miles clear of the rest.

As a son of Montjeu it is hardly a surprise Fame would prefer some ease in the going.

Masterofthehorse and Golden Sword though went so spectacularly backwards that one cannot be sure that is the case.

Fame ran a very lacklustre Arc and shouldn't be judged on that. He's fine with a bit of cut, but they shouldn't get obsessed with the going for him, he'll be okay on anything other than extremes. He has a fine natural action.

O'Brien confirms Fame And Glory as a runner on Sunday and lists off the other likely runners as well on his website for the weekend.

No guarantee he will progress.I really liked him on Irish Derby day but I think STS broke his heart.

No guarantee he will progress.I really liked him on Irish Derby day but I think STS broke his heart.

I don't get that at all - Fame And Glory was far from knocked around when STS had established his dominance in Ireland. If any horse was to have his heart broken it would have been RIP after their final two furlongs in the Eclipse but he performed up to standard after that.

Fame And Glory did not get his trip and conditions after the Irish Derby again - that is what explains his defeats.

If you had to put your house on one likely to progress at four it would be this one. And any progress from what he achieved last year would indeed make him difficult to better.

Back