Fame and Glory - may run on Sunday

He's probably one of the most over-rated animals in a long time. He is absurdly flattered by last year's proximity to STS.

I hope they take him to the Ganay, they'll be some comedy value in betting horses against him.

I disagree....his proximity to everything else in the Arc (even if you take that as the best he is capable of which I do not), aside from Sea The Stars, suggests he will more than hold his own against the older horses this year.

I disagree....his proximity to everything else in the Arc (even if you take that as the best he is capable of which I do not), aside from Sea The Stars, suggests he will more than hold his own against the older horses this year.

I thought you questioned the Arc form (Re: Cavalryman)?

I thought you questioned the Arc form (Re: Cavalryman)?

I do - but my point is he will be taking on the same horses in the Ganay, Tattersalls and Coronation Cup. One or two other dark horses might emerge but like I said he should be competitive against them at the very least.

This reminds me of the Champion Chase thread!! Gal, I don't follow the flat enough to support your view on F&G. I just think it's premature to write him off on the back of one run against a very Listed/Group 3 mare that had a run and would love the ground.

In fairness to Hamm and Gamla they did not rate the horse highly last season and assume they are basing their opinion of him on that rather than his outing today.

Yes! There'll be no more repeats of the CC thread, didn't make anyone look good (apologies). :)

Last edited:
I'm not speaking through my pocket, because I had no bet in the race, but Murtagh and O'Brien should have been called in by the stewards over the quiet ride Fame And Glory was given. He looked unfit in the parade ring and in the race he was prominent in the straight but wasn't asked to stretch, even with hands and heels.

In O'Brien and Murtagh's defence the ground at the Curragh was, yet again, testing in the extreme and the management really have to do something about drainage in the straight. But if Fame And Glory was a Tony Martin horse or a horse with a small trainer they would have been in trouble.

Was never going to be subjected to a hard race yesterday after last season.I rated this horse on Irish Derby day but strongly feel his best days are gone.

I'm not speaking through my pocket, because I had no bet in the race, but Murtagh and O'Brien should have been called in by the stewards over the quiet ride Fame And Glory was given. He looked unfit in the parade ring and in the race he was prominent in the straight but wasn't asked to stretch, even with hands and heels.

In O'Brien and Murtagh's defence the ground at the Curragh was, yet again, testing in the extreme and the management really have to do something about drainage in the straight. But if Fame And Glory was a Tony Martin horse or a horse with a small trainer they would have been in trouble.

Spot on there Grey, didn't back him either but if I did I would want a refund from ballydoyle. Not just a tender ride . The horse was not asked for any effort that he would not have been asked for at home doing work .

But if Fame And Glory was a Tony Martin horse or a horse with a small trainer they would have been in trouble.

Tony Martin gets away with a lot worse than that. Thank God O'Brien only pulls off a few gambles a year, mainly in maidens.

PS Here's Tony's latest plot from the first in Limerick yest
Top Four (IRE) 25/1 511-12 A J Martin —**ch g Karinga Bay - Rash-Gale (IRE) (Rashar)R C Colgan Held up, 10th halfway, progress 3 out, moderate 6th after 2 out, kept on from last

Last edited:
He's probably one of the most over-rated animals in a long time. He is absurdly flattered by last year's proximity to STS.

I hope they take him to the Ganay, they'll be some comedy value in betting horses against him

Completely agree. A good bet would be that he doesnt win another race this season

F&G is a good horse..but as with certain other horses has been hyped above a level he can attain..that was the case all last season..particularly on this forum.

he the type of horse that could string 5 losing runs together and people would be saying..needs better ground..needs 2 miles now..needs an oxygen tank now...bit similar to what i read about Zaynar other day.

i'm sure he will win again..he was simply schooled in public the other day...but he is no superstar as described over the last 12 months within these glorious threads :)

his win in Irish Derby was exhaggerated by an overly fast pace playing to him..similar to Rooster Booster in the CH..pace collapse flatters the winner of said race..due to ID win people think he is pegasus.

Last edited:
Wont give you anything DJ :)

But say he goes off at an average of 2-1 throughout the season over 4 runs laying that each time would be about 5-1? Would do the bet by laying each time, if was so inclined

The problem would be if they go Irish leger route IMO

Also EC, the form of the irish derby collapsed a bit too

I think Age of Aquarius is slow and can't understand the collective hard on that the forum has for him.

:lol:

I must admit, I am part of that collective hard on. I thought he looked like a four year old when he won his Lingfield Derby Trial and the time of the GP De Paris was sensational (As it is most years) and I suspect he'll be Ballydoyle's leading older horse over middle distances this year rather than FAG.

Think Age Of Aquarius goes there next - I would like to see him stepped up in trip. Either way interesting to see what they do with him.

I suppose plans will be up for change as time goes on. Suggestions now that Age of Aquarius goes to the Ormonde at Chester (distance more suitable) and Fame and Glory to the Mooresbridge (skipping the Ganay and, presumably, then going on to the Tatts Gold Cup).

There's quite alot of other info with regard to possible targets on the website.

Back