Female Trainers - on the up?

Pricey, she's taken - sorry! The o/h is Gearoid Costelloe, from the well-known Irish family which has produced a lot of top jumpers. But there's still Ann Stokell...

If you want to read a very nice article about her, get your hands on the December issue of TB Owner & Breeder magazine, which features her in an interview.

Gearoid Costelloe, from the well-known Irish family which has produced a lot of top jumpers

They are well respected for it.

As Flann O'Brien put it: "Go where you like in all the world, you'll always find the Irishman is looked up to for his jumping. Go to Russia. Go to China. Go to France. Everywhere and all the time it's hats off and graw machree to the jumping Irishman"

Trefflich, I award you a straight 10 for that remark about 'agreeing' with whether women should be so bold as to do this sort of work. I imagine you prefer yours barefoot, in the kitchen, and pregnant?QUOTE]

Had a feeling you would pick up on this Krizon. I only asked the question, I never said which side of the fence I was on. Neither if you must know. Casting aspersions and generalising, which you succumbed to, is exactly the point you were trying to defend in the case of sexism.

Last edited:
Joanna Morgans achievements seem to be getting over looked a bit, both in the saddle and as a trainer.First lady to ride at Royal ascot, first to ride i9n an Irish classic. Blacktype winners here and in the UK. A winner in Dubai. Many prolific winners of top handicaps.

Joanna Morgans achievements seem to be getting over looked a bit, both in the saddle and as a trainer.First lady to ride at Royal ascot, first to ride i9n an Irish classic. Blacktype winners here and in the UK. A winner in Dubai. Many prolific winners of top handicaps.

She has bred a fine looking daughter too it must be remembered...:whistle:

Trefflich: you asked whether "you" - Very Very Ordinary - would agree with women assuming higher positions in work. I'd have thought that, having put up the topic, it was likely that the viewpoint was that he (or she) did. So why put it in? Unless someone is some sort of fundamentalist, I can't imagine anyone not 'agreeing' with women holding higher - as in, more responsible - positions, including several prime ministerial positions worldwide, so it seems a really odd remark to throw into the discussion unless you wanted to make it some sort of agenda. So, what did you actually mean by asking VVO whether s/he agreed with it? (So I can brush up the cast aspersions while I do the dusting.)

Oh, I had Myriam on my list, and left her off! Thanks for the extra Irish ladies, Grey - hah! Forcing the men to work? As barstool polishers and pint mug inspectors, is it? :D (No reverse sexism there, of course... )

Worlwide, there's Gai Waterhouse in Oz, and, uh... erm... :confused:

Mme C Head-Maarek is not bad I hear.. Or have I not read thoroughly enough?!

Stay behind after school, naughty one! I have her up there, dearest, under her full and glorious name, followed by France in big letters!

Seriously, aren't there any female trainers in Germany, Italy, and there have got to be some in the USA?

Going back to the Flat vs NH question, I'm not sure why women haven't had quite the same good results with the Flatties as they've had with NH horses. I don't know if it's because there have been so many historical male-run yards down the years - bearing in mind that NH was a rather more coarse-cut business, with many horses 'trained' in a somewhat looser sense by gentlemen farmers and military types who hunted regularly with their own horses. So, once women entered the frame, the playing ground was slightly more even in terms of historical professionalism (or the lack of it). Well, it's just a thought - I couldn't back it up with stats and numbers in order to prove its existence or not, but it seems a weeny bit credible.

And, again, it does go to women being denied the chance to train in any meaningful and competitive way until 40-odd years ago, which has to be a distinct disadvantage in terms of getting backing, support, and being taken seriously as not just girly dabblers amusing themselves, instead of taking it as a lifetime commitment, like wot blokes do.

Any other thoughts on the reasons, anyone?

Last edited:
There used to be a lady called jutta schultheis (sp) or something similar - back in the early 90s she trained at warendorf in Germany... I'm sure my friends mate went to another woman trainer out there at the same time,but I don't remember her name....

Carolyn Costigan trains in Canada
Luka Vaclav trains in Czech Republic
Nina Bach - Germany
Andrea Bertram - Germany
Monika Balsczyk - Germany
Conny Brandstatter - Germany
Ira Ferentschak - Germany
Katja Gernreich - Germany
Angelika Glodde - Germany
Vera Henkenjohann - Germany
Erika Mader - Germany
Jutta Mayer - Germany
Marion Rottering - Germany
Sascha Smrczek - Germany
Francesca Folco - Italy
Annike Bye Nunez - Norway
Cathrine Erikson - Norway
Jenny B Hansen - Norway
Maria Robertz - Norway
Cathrine Slettemark - Norway
Gillian Duffield - Dubai
Tanya Boulmetis - USA
Melody Conlon - USA
Carla Gaines - USA
Leigh Ann Howard - USA
Jacqueline Jackson - USA
Rebecca Maker - USA
Amanda McKaughan - USA
Kathy P Monegeon - USA
Sabrina Obergfell - USA
Linda Rice - USA
Jenine Sahadi - USA

As I said, some may be out, some may be in, Simon. What's A. Stokell doing with herself? She was still going last year.

Good list from you, thanks for all of those names. Very interesting to see one woman from the Czech Rep, disappointing only one from Italy and none from Sweden - so far. Far East not yet as evolved as the countries mentioned?

I've heard of the last one on that list and none of the others.

Gai Waterhouse is a big trainer in Australia

Not sure what she's doing, Krizon, but she hasn't had any runners since mid-2010.

There's a few on the list no longer training or have had name changes.

Anabel King gone back to her married name of Murphy.

Stef Hggins,Norma Twoomey & Mouse Hamilton Fairley no longer train and I don't think Sam Davidson does either.
Not sure about Sally Anne Wheelwright with Mujamead having gone back to Tony Carroll and won both starts since.

I'd like to give Sophie Leech a special mention for managing to get my old yoke to win over hurdles. One of the greatest training performances of the century so far.

Trefflich: you asked whether "you" - Very Very Ordinary - would agree with women assuming higher positions in work. I'd have thought that, having put up the topic, it was likely that the viewpoint was that he (or she) did. So why put it in? Unless someone is some sort of fundamentalist, I can't imagine anyone not 'agreeing' with women holding higher - as in, more responsible - positions, including several prime ministerial positions worldwide, so it seems a really odd remark to throw into the discussion unless you wanted to make it some sort of agenda. So, what did you actually mean by asking VVO whether s/he agreed with it? (So I can brush up the cast aspersions while I do the dusting.)

It was a barbed question to the forum Krizon, not directed at VVO. You have fallen for it hook, line and sinker. Why is this even being discussed in the politically correct world we live in? I would have thought that differentiating female trainers would be a form of sexism in these times.

Anyway I've had enough of this bickering. It was an open question to stir up some debate, I've learned my lesson. Thank you Krizon.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Off the top of my head Prunnella Dobbs, Yvonne Dunleavy and Caroline Hutchinson are three more (Irish) names that can be added to the list.

Back