Festival Preview Nights

London Racing Club's Cheltenham Preview:

Panel was Lydia Hislop, Paul Jones, Phil
Smith, with betting insight from Martin of Star Sports.

Supreme:
Lydia: I was lucky to get 12/1 about Douvan. If I was having a bet now, I'd be backing L'Ami Serge each/way, nearer the time. People will try to take your money regarding Douvan, and there'll be a whole who will McCoy ride ? debacle. But why Douvan when LS has such a big top three chance and you've a big chance of getting your money back, and taking on Douvan at the sane time.
Phil: Douvan not Upto much in France. Rated 111 when he came to to Ireland and since run 153 and 155; To some extent, it's a figure in the air with him; He wins easily, and form only OK. L'Ami Serge's form a lot stronger.
Henderson felt that LS was badly handicapped off 132. (Cue joke about not understanding how to work out maths!) He may be ground dependent but King's Theatre gets plenty of horses who go well on good.

For a bit of fun, Qewy: Only 132, but only run twice: 2nd, 3rd, 6th franked form from Newbury win. Last 2 winners have ended the year 158.
LS had plenty of goes, and probably not a massive amount of improvement in him. I've got a few doubts about both of them, which is why I've thrown Qewy into the mix.
Paul: No influence from Mullins comments. Never really interested in ratings for novice events. Douvan will start 7/4 - 2/1; 9/11 of horses starting at that price beaten. Think L'Ami Serge a good each/way bet, as Irish will back Douvan.
Jollyallan doesn't jump well enough. McCoy ridden the Supreme worse than any other horse in his career. Should have won on four of his five runners up.
Martin: Can't see him more than 7/4. He's priced on reputation. It's about the right price. LS might drift. Jollyallan a lovely chasing type, and his run behind GLV - rated 153? - as good as anything seen so far? Qewy a lovely type. Seen cash for Bentelemar, who will enjoy the ground.
Champion:
Phil: Faugheen joint top rated with HF, Jezki was 169, dropped to 166, and TNO was 167 and only posted 162 in 5 wins since. Jezki's win last year was one of lowest in 7 years - Punjabi last 160's rated winner. Suspects that to win this year, you'll want 170. Who's most likely to do it? Could argue Faugheen because he's most progressive. The best form Leading up to a CH is last year's previous winner. Dave Dickinson critical of AP's ride in Ireland, - we all think Jezki can make 170,
Lydia: Think the CH form from last year a little disappointing; All beating eachother up, or HF beating Jezki. Jezki was disappointing last time, and just flat: BG gets on with him much better than AP; Harrington might play around with headgear. At time I'd tipped Jezki, Faugheen
unproven and while he has since, he's now just shorter

Paul: I respect him, but I think he'll be 3rd of fourth. My problem is if he'll be able to lay up during the strongest part of the race (top to bottom of the hill). Only chance TNO has is if he's a length behind the leader at the last. He's looked at his best on the much stiffer new course. I don't want to back Faugheen at evens. Jezki without TNO my bet. What I'd love to see is McCoy leading on Jezki; When he did at Punchestown, he said see you later to HF.
Martin: If Douvan and UDS win, - Faugheen for me. One of those where I can't see beyond first three in the betting. Artic Fire has seen the back of HF and Jezki. Harry Skelton, who rode Bertimont behind TNO last time, was very impressed.
Lee asks if 'anyone on this panel, or in the room, can see Walsh not riding Faugheen.' No hands up.
Mares - is Annie a penalty kick?
Phil: definitely not a penalty kick - have to take everything on trust. I like Carole's Sprit, and sure she will run a big race. AP 13lbs clear,
Lydia: Not a slam dunk. Harder for her than Quevega (most of her wins). Don't think that because Quevega won, that AP suddenly must. Don't think that any I've got her only 7lbs clear. Polly Peachum's last run on soft ground. I worry that Harry Fry might run Bitofapuzzle. Can't have Carole's Spirit. Jumps right badly.
Paul: Will AP be 100% Quevega never 100% IMO apart from for Mares Hurdle. Polly Peachum's only 7lbs behind and the gap may not be that big if fav not 100%. Polly Peachum each/way.
Martin: More than keen to lay her. Offered 4/5.
Rest of day 1
Paul: Everything right for Ned Stark. 10/1 now, but will be 5/1 on the day.
Phil: Cape Trib ran good race at Wetherby, and then poor when Malcolm's horses out of form. Watch the 4 Miler closely for the good. Wounded Warrior higher than Very Wood, but not sure that he wants 'classy.' Cogry would be one for him - will have a top jockey on board - stays all day, and good trainer.
Lydia: I quite liked Wounded Warrior for the NH Chase, but yard has Very Wood too.
Queen Mother
Lydia: SS probably won't be the same. Denman came back - wasn't quite the same but delivered one of best weight carrying performances ever. Thinks that he'll do better than at Ascot. He's in the mix. Thinks SDG is in the mix. Apparently SDG developed a corn before Newbury and the was fine before Chepstow with his new plastic shoes. Lots of measures taken for this to happen, and very concerned about that.
Dodging Bullets 'the horse that nobody can forgive regarding form tailing off. Can't have Mr Mole - improved on paper but the horse is a nutjob. Wonder if connects may switch CF, whose form lags behind front three in a way price doesn't.
Paul: CF if he runs. Johns Spirit may be moving to the - John's Sprit posting some good times at home. He may switch, with the old course being his things. There is a chance that Sire might not back up his performance at Chepstow; did finish quite tired, he knew he'd have had a race. I sense that Nicholls might prefer Mr Mole to John's.
Phil: As a racing fan, I liked what I saw from Ascot. On the one hand you could say it was an encouraging comeback, but he bled. Was on a panel with Andrew Tinkler. He and whole yard are full of Sprinter. Working very well with solid workhorses. 5,6lbs improvement might just be enough to win.
Would have been very disappointed if SDG hadn't won at Chepstow. A solid 172, but is he going to be better than that
The bookmakers prices reflect that; But they haven't got a clue either. Our 2 mile chase handicapper has taken two weeks off. Was 188, now 168, and has bottled it! Our 2m4f handicapper called me for advice - his problem! It's the most fascinating race of the week!
Martin - Doubts over all 5. SS should've finished closer last time for harder riding. SDG could only do what he did. DG not shown best past Jan. CF running over further. Bookmakers will try and get a result.

RSA

Paul: None of the front three can win on trends or stats. But that said, Don Poli will win! Doesn't know about King's Palace.
Lydia: All my love for Kings Palace evaporated in last year's AB when I was worried that TS might go too fast; Think he's no chance in heat of the RSA. Coneygree the fly in the ointment; Old course currently softer than new and less time for him to drop
Phil: Don Poli currently 156. Lord Windermere was 154, O'Faolins Boy was 156 after RSA. King's Palace may not replicate his best form. Coneygree should run in the RSA, but they may switch. Can't remember too many Gold Cup winners leading all the way - Denman took it from the second circuit. Lydia asks if he needs to lead. Phil suggests not; Coneygree's form so impressive, but please, please not in the Gold Cup.
The vet that scratched him at Plumpton is scared about him winning! But he took the right choice at Plumpton.
Paul: 6 of last 31 GC winners led all the way. However, one since 1998.
Phil: Other horse I'm a big fan of is The Young Master. We stole a race off him! Been running in high quality races/strong opposition since. Right race here: Best jockey! Wherever Coneygree runs, no 3lbs claim here and that's a disadvantage despite Boinville being a very nice
Martin - Southfield Theatre the interesting one for Me.
Wednesday (rest of)
Phil: 0 interest in the bumper. Am interested in the XC. Very interesting horse - best horse ever to run in XC - Roi Du Mee. 157 rated; If he replicates Bobbyjo win, fascinating contender. Other interesting horse is Tutenkamon. I know he's a good cross country horse.
Lydia: I don't like Nichols Canyon. Don't like the way he fell at Leopardstown. Don't know how they'll ride him. Haven't come down to what I'll put up against him. No pre judgement of the bumper either. Thinks Zarib will win the Fred Winter. Bidouret is interesting, as he may well run in the Imperial Cup.
Paul: Doesn't think Roi Du Mee runs in XC. Keen on Sire Collonges. Loves him. Only beaten about 3 lengths in November by Balthazar King and Any Currency was hammered for November win. Connection
Martin: Money for plenty, including Aux Pits Sons. Paul says that he's been working the horse down, that they think he's a Grade 1 Lydia then says he works better than 139 but worries it hasn't got enough experience (John Hales wants a runners). Nicholls and Henderson can't count - Aux Pits Sons is 68kg in France, and that's doubled for 139 here! A few imponderables about him though - just two runs, and not seen since Sept!
World Hurdle:
Paul: Just prefer Zarkandar and thinks Paul Nicholls doss too. Connections now know he gets the trip properly. If you think he's a dodgy stayer then the World Hurdle will be run 20 seconds faster than Long Walk. Zarkandar each/way
Phil: High ratings for all previous winners. Saphir is 165 - this makes it a very moderate race (lowest previous 168, Inglis). ROR, Zark, Reve, all 160. I wouldn't stake any reputations on the race at all.
Lydia: Doesn't think Rock On Ruby will stay. Thought Lieutenant Miller best of the Irish but that's not saying much. Zarkandar is the horse most likely to run to the level required to win the race.
JLT
Lydia: Vautour clearly has an engine but has won two chases under exhibition conditions. Debut a farce. Only time he's tested, he's been beaten. Sweated on his neck at Leopardstown. First fence in JLT comes quickly and this will be a bigger field because of UDS. Thinks the step up in trip is a positive for him. Thinks he's far too short, priced up on hurdles form and reputation, against what she thinks is quite a strong one and will be a big one. Likes Valseur Lido. Apache beat him but his jumping is sticky early and he could fall behind. Valesur jumps great. Would be keen on Ptit Zig if he hadn't fallen last fine lot.
Paul: Also keen on Valseur Lido. Done his money for the JLT. Just a real class act. Mullins gives every impression. JLT a better option as he travels so well.
Phil: Vautour
PT: 159
Apache: 156
Valesur: 155
Vautour: 154

Struggled to understand why trainers pitch novices into open company. We're crying out for novices in novice races and they don't. No surprise that he fell; as they go that much quicker, that much harder, and he was pushed out of his comfort zone.
Lydia: PT might have been saved a hard race.
Martin: Valesur a sound each/way bet.
Ryanair:
Lydia: Don Cossack much improved, largely a good jumper. Balder Success previous form at Cheltenham has to be ignored but all at the wrong trip. Wonders if CF might come back in. Don Cossack will lead the pack.
Paul: Just think that Don Cossack is by far the best horse in the race. Some people raised the left handed issue but not a problem - ground, track, should be fine. Module might be interesting - cross his runs out this season - finished third and fourth in the last two seasons.
Phil: Last year's winner was lowest rated for 5 years. Nothing reaches that this year. Ma Filleule - whom he would be very confident can reverse Ascot Chase form - and Don Cossack.
Paul: Taquin should run in this and is a lot better than the Denman Chase. 24/25 plate winners lower than 141 so wouldn't go there.
Martin: Seen a lot of money for Ballynagour, and also Eduard. Don Cossack price is right and Ma F a real spring horse. She should go well (was horse he was most confident about).
Rest of Thursday:
Phil: Edeymi got a R&R (running and riding inquiry); a very clever bit of placing. In his previous race, horse had run in Pertemps Qualifier in Ireland, missed first eight (off 135). Didn't run to run to 135 at Musselbrugh. Our performance figures for Edeyemi read 0, 115, 129, 125, 135. Only seen seven times in two years! Pertemps not my race. I love the Kim Muir, but I'd change it to professional jockeys. If you can find a novice, you'd be doing well.
Lydia: Don't have a strong view on handicaps until 48 hour decs. Find myself in positions I don't want to be in, since changing strategy I have had much more success.
Paul: Monetaire interesting for owners who have won it twice recently in the Plate off intended breaks.
Friday:
Triumph:
Paul: Nicky doesn't have it wrapped up. Gone back and forth of Peace and Co. Ran figure at Doncaster that would have won 14/15 Triumphs but seemed stary at Cheltenham. Missed all the prices at
Lydia: I liked his Cheltenham win where all the jockeys tried to beat him. He's got a very strong chance but think bell continue to drift as Hargam has since improved, Beltor emerged, Top
Notch continued to improve, Petite Parisienne best Kalkir, and Diacosmo also on the scene

Martin: Good little contest. Money for the usual types.
Phil: Petite Parisienne gets 7lbs and rated 142. Lovely joke about BJ's.
Lydia: I love Blaklion. Delighted that STD will ride.
Paul: Value At Risk best of the British; Cried out for three miles last time behind underrated Ordo Ab Chao (chance in Neptune.). Martello Tower best of the Irish here.
Missed the rest here sadly but not much was said. I'll review tomorrow!
Gold Cup:
Lydia: Regarding Silvi.
Pros
Improved this season
Best form in eve races
Pressed on too soon; That and the ulcers may have beaten him/made him wobble last year

Cons
Don't rate form of last year's Gold Cup
Fav for race he's been beaten twice in.

Road To Riches a real contender but I have been really keen on him since early stage. He was my strongest position last year. Unfit for the Hennessy. Then won the Thyestes were he apparently jumped well. I just think he's the winner in a race where
Great respect for Many Clouds
Paul: 6 year olds don't have great records but Long Run won it as FR bred 6 year old; but he was more experienced, and Bobs Worth
Paul: Expecting improvement from Boston Bob going the furthest he's ever gone. The each/way shot around 25/1. Holywell been to the festival twice and won twice; like the fact they attacked at Kelso and by all accounts McCoy was very impressed. Just think ground's gone against, or will go against Many Clouds. I can see
Martin: Lot of money for Djakadam in recent days who apparently wasn't fit when he won the Thyestes.
Phil: You're asking a lot to have vintage Gold Cups each year. Before 2013 (Synchronised), no horse below 170 in winning it.
Eight or nine horses within 2/3lbs.
Can't believe it'll be 166-169 for Gold Cup winner. E.G if Horse X beats Silvi, then I rate race through Silvi. So 175.
Djakadam may have the best chance of progression. Rated 162 following Thyestes win. Doubts about Holywell's jumping. McCoy would bully him into it. McLernon is gentle, quiet, and not what is needed. Does respect Many Clouds.
Rest of Friday:
Martin: Whatever AP/JO horse in Grand Annual will be false price.
Paul: Likes Harbour Court for Foxhunters. Savelllo for County Hurdle and Gigginstown have also laid out The Game Changer who is Martin's No.1.
Lydia: I'm useless at the Country Hurdle but Un Ace in the Grand Annual.
Phil: Had eight calls today on Foxhunters, all of them telling me their horse was rated far too lowly, which is strange! Last few years I've been here - I've recommended On The Fringe and he's been third and fourth, making me feel like a fraud. I think he's the best horse in the race but won't win, as having watched him for the past two years,
Paint The Clouds, rated 137 by Warren Greatex, whose having a fantasy season. Current Event, rated 139, trained by Rose Loxton of Big Bucks fame.
Naps:
Martin: Banker was John's Sprit (but he may go to the Champion)
Paul: Ned Stark
Lydia: Djakadam
Phil: Barry G top jockey (10/1)!

Galway Preview Night - Main Panel was Patrick Mullins, Davy Russell, Paul Kealy (Racing Post) and Eddie O'Leary (Gigginstown).
All attended free of charge so hats off to them as most get a fee of 1k to 3k in other preview nights.

Supreme Novices Hurdle

Patrick Mullins: Douvan is exceptional, ground will be no issue, very hopeful. He said Shaneshill should also take his chance in this.
Davy Russell: Shaneshill and Bentelimar both too big a price, go each-way. Criticised Paul Kealy's selection of Jollyallan, says he can't jump and that's a shocking bet. He also said L'Ami Serge is a 2nd season novice and that they have a shocking record in this.
Paul Kealy: Douvan too short, Jollyallan great each-way bet, Patrick Mullins also questioned his selection, Jollyallan.
Eddie O'Leary: Douvan is tall and weak so might not be suited to this test. Alvisio Ville a great e/w bet, Patrick Mullins agreed with him.

Neptune Hurdle
Paul Kealy: Nichols Canyon will win (sounded very assured).
Davy Russell: Windsor Park a question mark for race, could go Albert Bartlett. He said it will be a travesty if the Irish don't win all novice hurdle races at Cheltenham and he will pack in racing if they don't.
Patrick Mullins: Nichols Canyon could take a lot of beating, rated 111 on flat which was higher than Hurricane Fly.
Eddie O'Leary: Nichols Canyon should win, he also said to watch Weld's horses this year who will be super fresh.

Albert Bartlett
Eddie O'Leary: No More Heroes scoped badly last time out, not as confident as they were about this horse.
Paul Kealy: No More Heroes will take the world of beating.
Patrick Mullins: Boost to Black Hercules if Douvan wins. Martello Tower has a great e/w chance, value. He feels Blaklion lacks class. Of all the novices, interestingly he said Black Hercules has the best chance!
Davy Russell: Martello Tower good e/w chance but No More Heroes should win, will love 3 miles.

Triumph Hurdle

Eddie O'Leary: Petite Parisienne has a decent chance.
Paul Kealy: Beltor is a massive price.
Patrick Mullins: No interest in this race.
Davy Russell: Thinks this is a great chance to do something with his wife to keep her happy, won't even watch it.

Arkle

Patrick Mullins: Un De Sceaux Leopardstown run phenomenal. Only worry is front runners' record in the race, but huge chance.
Davy Russell: Un De Sceaux, wait until he gets down to the start to back him because it's a long way and he is a very excitable horse.
Paul Kealy: Watching brief.
Eddie O'Leary: Un De Sceaux is an aeroplane, Clarcam has no chance.

JLT

Davy Russell: The Tullow Tank huge price, e/w chance.
Patrick Mullins: Afraid of Apache Stronghold, can't have Ptit Zig after his fall lto, Vautour working really well, will win!
Paul Kealy: Ptit Zig huge chance, best form in the race.
Eddie O'Leary: No strong opinion.

RSA Chase

Eddie O'Leary: All of a sudden got very quiet when asked about Don Poli, never commented.
Davy Russell: Between Don Poli & Coneygree if they run in it, but Don Poli will win.
Patrick Mullins: Valseur Lido could be a Gold Cup horse, wherever he turns up have a bet on him. David Pipe thinks Kings Palace is his bet of the week.
Paul Kealy: Don Poli huge chance. Southfield Theatre e/w.

4-Mile National Hunt Chase

Davy Russell: Wounded Warrior
Patrick Mullins: Perfect Gentleman off a good mark, big price if he shows up.
Eddie O'Leary: Thunder and Roses good chance, stays all day.
Paul Kealy: Doing Fine e/w chance, Russell laughed.

Champion Chase

Davy Russell: Sprinter Sacre has had 8 wind operations, has huge wind problems. Dodging Bullets has never won in spring. Champagne Fever has a chance but Sire De Grugy will win.
Patrick Mullins: Champagne Fever should run in this, he has been a little frustrating but he has a huge chance. He thinks Sire De Grugy will find it tough, Sacre the biggest danger.
Paul Kealy: Champagne Fever will win.
Eddie O'Leary: Champagne Fever fan, should be very hard to catch.

Ryanair Chase

Patrick Mullins: Don Cossack the one to beat. Boston Bob might run in this.
Paul Kealy: Don Cossack good chance, but Ma Filleule is his bet.. Russell and Mullins laughed.
Eddie O'Leary: Don Cossack for him.
Davy Russell: Don Cossack will win, but watch out for whatever race Johns Spirit shows up in, might go in Queen Mother but could nick a place at huge price.

Champion Hurdle

Breeder: Can't see him being beat, he re-mortgaged the house and put the whole lot on him @ 4/1. (Faugheen)
Davy Russell: Faugheen has not been tested, mistakes here will be punished. Jezki should be spot on, horse to beat.
Patrick Mullins: Faugheen has potential, but would love to see Hurricane Fly win. Unlikely due to age but in unbelievable form at home. If it turns soft, he has a chance. Faugheen error prone but never costs him ground. The faster he goes, the better he jumps. Special horse, riding him is like having the accelerator pushed to the max on a Ferrari.
Paul Kealy: Worried about The New One, think he is not in good form. Arctic Fire great e/w bet. Patrick questioned his bet, said Arctic Fire is out of his depth.
Eddie O'Leary: Faugheen.

World Hurdle

Eddie O'Leary: Dedigout has a shout if it's soft.
Paul Kealy: Poor race, Zarkandar tentative bet.
Patrick Mullins: Briar Hill small e/w, Lieutenant Colonel has a big chance.
Davy Russell: Lieutenant Colonel hard to beat, Saphir Du Rheu the danger.

Champion Bumper

Patrick Mullins: Very impressed with Bordini. Cousin David thinks Pylonthepressure is the best of the Mullins lot here. Afraid of Moon Racer.
Eddie O'Leary: Likes Stone Hard a lot. Afraid of Moon Racer.
Davy Russell: Bordini
Paul Kealy: No comment.

Gold Cup

Paul Kealy: Silviniaco Conti best horse in the race by a long way. Many Clouds if it is soft.
Eddie O'Leary: Road To Riches e/w chance. Carlingford Lough huge chance.
Patrick Mullins: Djakadam fan, big chance.. On His Own e/w squeak.
Davy Russell: Road To Riches horse to beat. Wouldn't swap his ride on Lord Windermere for anything else in the race, but trainer hasn't had a winner yet this year.

Charity Bets €100 on each

Hector - Don Poli
Eddie - Roi Des Francs
Paul - No More Heroes
Patrick - Djakadam
Davy - Jezki

Other Bits of Information

O'Leary told me in person that Tiger Roll will not be running at Cheltenham this year, the horse has gone backwards.
Patrick Mullins told everyone to back York Hill on Saturday, should give us a few quid for Cheltenham he said.
O'Leary said Roi Des Francs is the Gigginstown banker of the week in the Martin Pipe.
Patrick was asked for his top 4 in order of best chance on Day 1: He said 1) Annie Power, 2) Un De Sceaux, 3) Douvan, 4) Faugheen.

One for Grasshopper:

Phil [Smith, official handicapper]: You're asking a lot to have vintage Gold Cups each year. Before 2013 (Synchronised), no horse below 170 in winning it.
Eight or nine horses within 2/3lbs.
Can't believe it'll be 166-169 for Gold Cup winner. E.G if Horse X beats Silvi, then I rate race through Silvi. So 175.
Djakadam may have the best chance of progression. Rated 162 following Thyestes win.

As I said elsewhere: he's a 160 horse with something to spare.

Eddie O'Leary was a pointless panel member judging by that. No information whatsoever on their JLT/RSA/NH Chase posse.

One for Grasshopper:

As I said elsewhere: he's a 160 horse with something to spare.

One for DO.

Phil Smith gave Mahogany Blaze a provisional rating of 162 after the Connaught Chase a few years back......but formally gave him 152, after he was hammered 50L in the Tingle Creek three weeks later

As I've said elsewhere: the Official Handicapper can get it wrong just as much as the next man, and just because his rating for Djakadam is in line with your own, doesn't necessarily make it accurate.

Last edited:
Davy Russell: Between Don Poli & Coneygree if they run in it, but Don Poli will win.

The same DR who said Coneygree was NAP of the festival at another preview.

The same DR who said Coneygree was NAP of the festival at another preview.

Hes full of ****, heres what he said at the Swords night , last week

RSA
Davy actually can't have Don Poli. Rode him in a maiden and thought he'd never win a race. Coneygree for him. Theyre mad to go Gold Cup

One for DO.

Phil Smith gave Mahogany Blaze a provisional rating of 162 after the Connaught Chase a few years back......but formally gave him 152, after he was hammered 50L in the Tingle Creek three weeks later

As I've said elsewhere: the Official Handicapper can get it wrong just as much as the next man, and just because his rating for Djakadam is in line with your own, doesn't necessarily make it accurate.

Djakadam beat a up to the hilt in handicap terms ..My Murphy ...who has since been stuffed by 12L receiving 8 from a 152 Roi De Mee

If a 152 horse can give weight and beating to it then what did Djakadam actually achieve by giving it a lesser beating?

I think a 160 is very fanciful tbh

Hes full of ****, heres what he said at the Swords night , last week

RSA
Davy actually can't have Don Poli. Rode him in a maiden and thought he'd never win a race. Coneygree for him. Theyre mad to go Gold Cup

All these previews are 90% bull. You do well to stay awake through them (i know this after sleeping through one at Cheltenham a few years back)

But thanks for putting them up..... ;-)

There's a 2hr preview show on SkyPoker channel 861 tonight between 8 and 10. I think it's got something to do with Sporting Life and is repeated quite a few times over the next few days.

Sam Turner[Robin Goodfellow] is at our Birmingham preview night this evening; I've always got a lot of time for his thoughts.

Lucan..

Ruby Walsh tipping up Top Notch in the Triumph Hurdle - Davy Russell says he'd rather mow the lawn than watch this year's Triumph!

Back either Un de Sceaux or Vibrato Valtat in the Arkle acc to Ruby. One of them will win. #CheltMental

Ptit Zig is the best novice chaser in GB so says Paul Kealy, Racing Post. Has great chance in JLT #CheltMental

https://twitter.com/Jay__ONeill

Novices

Cooper reckons No More Heroes will be hard to beat. One he's looking forward to over 3 miles.
Ruby reckons Shaneshill NMH one two in the AB
PaddyPower reckons Martello Tower will save him in the AB
Cooper says Petite Parisienne guaranteed to stay up the hill
PaddyPower envisions a plunge on Hargam #CatchAPMcCoy
Ruby says Dicosimo is defo a chaser for next year and Top Notch is probably most fluent jumper in the field
Davy Russell says Triumph is a disgusting race and Ruby tears him a new one for winning it last year
Davy and Ruby engage in banter, Cooper tries to get a dig in to Davy and gets destroyed #banter
Bryan reckons if Vautour shows up in the form of his Supreme Novices win last year, he'll take all the beating

Davy admits Don Poli made him look stupid
Davy says nowadays he's a super stayer but coneygree is very good #nohelp
Ruby says Don Poli would win the 4 miler easier than the RSA. Cooper agrees but obviously neither have a say in it

At the interval now, wondering how @rossmoyno7 managed to tweet 40 times faster at Goat Bar #teachme

Davy reckons new plastic shoes on Sire De Grugy wins the Champion Chase
Bryan goes for Champagne Fever. Says he is quick enough over two miles
Ruby reckons Dodging Bullets should be fav. Looks a nightmare of a race for punting.

Cooper has no worries about left handed track and trip is made for Don Cossack in the Ryanair
Johns Spirit not to run in the Ryanair #hearditherefirst
Ruby lets it slip that Boston Bob MAY run in the Ryanair and he has every chance if that happens. Currently 25/1

Ruby says he'd like to ride General Principle in the bumper but young Paddy Mullins gets the first vote

Ruby beating around the bush about Faugheen. "He's all potential, he could be anything, he could be nothing" #FFS
Ruby talking up Hurricane Fly now. Mother of f**k Ruby!! Who's better!!?
Davy reckons Jezki is the one to beat and The New One has loads to prove #fairpoint

Ruby just gave me a semi, he tips Zarkandar over Saphir Du Rheu but watch out for Rock on Ruby
Cooper reckons Rock on Ruby to win
Davy thinks the Colonel is better than Cooper thinks #davyisabollox
At 12% battery so going to go airplane mode until I hear the charity bets, I'll tweet if something outstanding is said

Gold Cup coming up...
Bryan fears Carlingford Rock the most on Road to Riches. Waiting for Davy to go mad about LM chances.
Davy does so in surprisingly timid style.
8% batt. Hurry up with the charity bets!!
Ah shite! Ruby reckons Silvianaco Conti is the one to beat
Paul Kealy tips up RTR to skip past Conti up the hill. Ruby says Conti is the likely winner immediately.

Bryan goes €125 e/w Very Wood #charity
Ruby goes €125 e/w Vautour Black Hercules No More Heroes treble
I missed Davy Russell's lucky 15 bet due to being pissed and needing a ****. Pretty sure it was Ruby's treble plus Windsor Park @rossmoyno7
Once again, we all need to realise that @rossmoyno7 is a hero for live tweets and I believe he'll be @CafeEnSeine tomorrow #NoPressure
Battery about to die hope my alarm wakes me up for work tomorrow. Only six more sleeps lads
The huge slice of information to take from tonight's preview is that AP should and will win the last race of the festival this year (1/2)
It makes sense AND if you're quick enough, it could make your week. Good luck and good night #NedBuntline
Douvan Wait For Me Road to Riches Ned Buntline €2 win lucky 15 returns €7,918 with @paddypower

Last edited:
Well if any of you are still reading these, here is the report from the Preview Evening I organised at Taunton Racecourse:

The biggest feeling in the room all night was that despite Mullins sending over an army of 3,500 horses, he isn't going to win them all!

MC - Alice Plunkett (AP)
Panel
Paul Nicholls (PN)
Philip Hobbs (PH)
David Pipe (DP)
Nick Scholfield (NS)
Martin Chapman of Star Sports (MC)

Tuesday
Supreme
Douvan, Douvan, Douvan!
They all agreed he had the best form and only MC pointed out that its his reputation that dictates his v short price.
MC & PH fancied Jollyallan strongly e/w
NS - L'Ami Serge cannot be ruled out.
PN - Qewy would have a definite chance - good form on the level.
AP reminded everyone that 9 of the last 11 favs in this race got beaten - is Douvan overhyped?

Arkle
AP - can Un de Seaux make all in the Arkle? Last horse to do so was Anaglogs Daughter back in 1980!
PN - UdS is plenty buzzy and that could be his undoing. His Vibrato Valtat WILL go well and he will love the fast pace and better going (wind op has really helped him) He is rated higher than Azertyiuop at same stage in career.
PH - There are likely to be a lot of runners so expect plenty of fallers. His Dunraven Storm is a good e/w bet despite being 10!
DP - if UdS stands up, he wins. His Sail by the Sea is a big price and in good form at home.
NS - Josses Hill been schooling with Yogi Breisner (much laughter from panel!!)
AP - don't forget Clarclam who beat Vatour and he was a smart juvenile hurdler.
MC was seen shaking his head at the thought of an odds-on shot in a novice chase round Cheltenham

Champion Hurdle
AP - is Faugheen a cert? Or is it all hype?
PN - thinks he is probably unbeatable. He won at Ascot when only half fit. H Fly excels at Leopardstown on heavy and he thinks Faugheen will beat The New One.
DP thinks Jezki is a weak finisher
PH - Faugheen for the win although he'd like to see The New One win.
NS - wants TNO to win but worried about that last run jumping wise although he did say that ground at Haydock that day was atrocious.
MC - Faugheen - Jezki had everything drop right for him last year.

Mares Hurdle
All agreed Annie Power was banker IF she turns up!!

Handicaps
MC said there had been shedloads of money for Ned Stark.
D P has Gevery Chambertin & The Package in - GC responded well to blinkers last time (back on) and not to forget TP was 3rd to Holywell & Ma Filleule last year.
PH - Horizontal Speed & Bold Henry both have e/w chances. Cesar Milan fells schooling yesterday.
MC - strong money for both Thomas Crapper & Little John

Best Bets - Tues
PN - Keltus 5.15
PH - Horizontal Speed
MC - Sergeant Reckless, The New One & Broadway Buffalo
AP - Annie Power

Wednesday to follow

Wednesday
Neptune
NS - Parlour Games has McCoy on and he has been really impressed with him
PH - it was v soft for Challow Hdle that PG won and he really liked Nichols Canyon who has a similar profile to Isatbraq being an ex-Gosden inmate with Group form on the Flat.
PN liked Vyta Du Roc of Hendersons
DP liked Parlour Games

RSA
DP - Kings Palace is clearly his best chance all week - he loves this horse! And it has good Cheltenham form. Had a wind op in summer and much more mature & relaxed than last year.
AP reminded everyone that only Denman went into this unbeaten over fences and won.
PN - Southfield Theatre - will love the drying ground. He is NOT happy to hear they are watering. He was a good second to Fingal Bay last year. Don Poli not experienced enough for this race. Coneygree won't run if ground not soft.
PH - agreed re Conygree - horse had 22 months off with leg problems.
NS - would love to ride Conygree
MC - likes Southfield Theatre. Don Poli too short. Very Wood is a good price.

Queen Mother
PN - Mr Mole is the most progressive horse despite his quirks. Dodging Bullets deserves to be fav (he doesn't think Sprinter Sacre will overturn him.
AP said DB had been to Festival 4 times with no success but PN said they had treated him for ulcers which has made a huge difference. He feels he has outstanding chance. MM capable of running big too.
PH said Sir de Grugy is his choice - he thought they were brave to run at Chepstow but it gave the horse the necessary confidence.
AP - (and for me this was the most imformative bit of information ALL night!) - she is worried they are running SdG in plastic shoes. When her hubby uses same sort for his eventers, they use huge studs as well which are obviously not allowed to be used racing. So she thinks he will slip all over the place on faster ground.
NS - Sprinter Sacre if he doesn't bleed (by all accounts Hendersons were devastated he bled last time)
MC - likes Champagne Fever - has the Festival form.
PN - says they can't make up their minds over CF trip & horse must be confused! He can't have SdG after he jumped so poorly at Sandown.

Cross Country Race
PH - has Duke of Luca bit of a thinker but will love the fast ground ( no watering on that course)
PN - Sire Collonges -in fantastic shape at home and has been trained specifically for this race.

Handicaps
Coral Cup
PN - Lac Fontana is in great form and he fancies him off a good price. Also has Aux Ptits Soins who NS thinks is a machine! But PN would have preferred to go to Fontwell (owner wants to run at Festival)
NS kept talking about this horse - G1 horse in a hcp and I got the feeling PN didn't want to talk about it (make of that what you will!)
MC says handicapper has given horse v lenient mark
DP in Fred Winter thinks Bidourey could be well in. Also has Unanimite - a good run wouldn't surprise him
DP - has Mooracer in the bumper - they REALLY like this horse!
PH - has Garde Victoire in Coral Cup who has a lot of weight but well at home.
PH - Golden Doyen is well exposed & not good enough for Triumph (in FW)
MC said Moonracer had been well backed
Best Bets Wednesday
DP - Kings Palace
PN - Southfield Theatre
PH - Waite For Me (bumper)
MC - Southfield Theatre
Missed AP & NS

Will stick up Friday's later - sorry completely missed Thursday as sorting out raffle (Alice decided to wing through intended interval which led to minor panic on my part).

Plastic shoes (glue on rather than nailed on) have been around for a long time. But I think Alice inferred these were different - she mentioned they had a Tbar across the heel as well. Obviously to sort some sort of foot problem out but she was familiar with them as her husband, William Fox-Pitt uses them eventing but they always had large studs attached which are illegal racing due to damage they could inflict on horses/riders if they trod on them while falling.

David Pipe Preview:

ALTERNATIF (FR) 5 b g Shaanmer (IRE) – Katerinette (FR)He holds five entries at the Festival (Neptune/Coral Cup/Pertemps/Albert Bartlett/Martin Pipe) but looks unlikely to get in to the handicaps. I think his best chance of making the cut is my father’s race on Friday. He won on his first run for us at Kempton on Boxing Day and we sent him to Taunton at the end of last month to try and pick up a penalty but he only finished second. I don’t think drying ground would be an issue and he stays two and a half miles well. Three miles wouldn’t be a problem either.

BALGARRY (FR) 8 ch g Ballingarry (IRE) – Marie de Motreff (FR)
Entered in the Coral Cup/Martin Pipe and County Hurdles, he will take his chance and I think he will benefit from stepping up in trip. Prior to the injury, which sidelined him for two and a half years, he was very keen and didn’t preserve any energy. However, he is much more relaxed now and I think he is crying out for a long distance. Runner-up at Sandown early in the New Year, I thought his run in the BetfairHurdle at Newbury last time confirmed he needs further. He seems in good form and hopefully he will give a good account of himself.

BALLYNAGOUR (IRE) 9
b g Shantou (USA) – Simply Deep (IRE)
He has three entries but is by no means certain to run at the meeting. His preparation hasn’t been as good as last year and it is possible we will save him for Aintree. Pulled up on his only run this season in the Hennessy Gold Cup, he stopped too far out to say it was the trip. We will do things differently with him next season and run him early on.

BALTIMORE ROCK (IRE) 6 b g Tiger Hill (IRE) – La Vita E Bella (IRE)
He goes for the County Hurdle on Friday and, on his best form, would have a great chance. He won the Imperial Cup last year and is a useful horse on his day. We expected him to run better than he did in the Greatwood Hurdle in November but he wasn’t right afterwards and went back to his owner Roger Brookhouse for a break. However, he is in good form now and, in terms of ground, he is versatile.

BARAKA DE THAIX (FR) 4 gr g Dom Alco (FR) – Jaka De Thaix (FR)
The plan is to run him in the Triumph Hurdle. He has only run twice for us finishing a very good third behind Golden Doyen and Hargam in a Grade 2 juvenile hurdle at the Paddy Power meeting on his British debut. Disappointing next time at Sandown, it was too bad to be true. If back to form, he deserves to take his chance. The softer the ground the better and he will really appreciate a strongly run race on a galloping track.

BATAVIR (FR) 6 ch g Muhtathir – Elsie (GER)
Bought at the Arqana Sale in France during the summer, he has won twice at Ascot and Wincanton this season. We sent him to Doncaster last weekend hoping to win and therefore pick up a penalty but he was disappointing. I am not sure why but it is possible the drying ground didn’t suit him because it is the quickest surface he has raced on for us. Entered in the Coral Cup/Pertemps and my father’s race, he still might take his chance, if he gets in. I don’t think the trip will be an issue.

B
ROADWAY BUFFALO (IRE) 7 ch g Broadway Flyer (USA) – Benbradagh Vard (IRE)
We have a few horses entered at Cheltenham, plus the Midlands National at Uttoxeter on Saturday, including this one. He will run somewhere but we haven’t decided which race (National Hunt chase & Kim Muir). A winner of the Tommy Whittle Chase at Haydock in December, it was unfortunate that he fell in the Grand National Trial at the same track last month because he was just starting to creep into it. He likes to be ridden quietly and the softer the ground, the better for him. His mark over fences is lower than it is over hurdles but that is because he doesn’t jump fences as well.

BYGONES SOVEREIGN (IRE) 9 b g Old Vic – Miss Hollygrove (IRE)
He has been an amazing horse this season winning three times, including at Newbury and Haydock last month in the space of seven days. On both occasions, Michael Heard gave him an excellent ride stealing ground at the start and never looking like being caught. He won’t get a soft lead in the Pertemps but he has earned his place in the Final and will wear blinkers for the first time.

DELL’ ARCA (IRE) 6
b g Sholokhov (IRE) – Daisy Belle (GER)
Entered in the Coral Cup/County and Martin Pipe, I think he is most likely to run in the County Hurdle on Friday. However, while he will run his race and try his best, I suspect he is in the grip of the handicapper at the moment. Narrowly beaten at Cheltenham’s Trials meeting in January, the handicapper raised him three pounds and he was back to square one ratings wise. Only third at Taunton last time, I don’t think he was suited by the track.

GEVREY CHAMBERTIN (FR) 7
gr g Dom Alco (FR) – Fee Magic (FR)
Like Broadway Buffalo, he holds entries in the handicaps at Cheltenham (Ultima Business Solutions Handicap Chase & Kim Muir), plus the Midlands National. He will definitely run somewhere because we have kept him back for the Festival, although Cheltenham hasn’t been kind to him in the past. Twice a winner over fences this season, the blinkers have made a big difference and he won nicely at Newbury last time. He has always jumped well at home but wasn’t reproducing it on the track. However, once we tried him in blinkers, he has looked a different horse and it has been the making of him. Still rated lower over fences than he is over hurdles, I hope there is more improvement to come. He clearly handles soft ground very well.

HEATH HUNTER (IRE) 8 b g Shantou (USA) – Deep Supreme (IRE)
The County Hurdle is the plan and, while it will be tough off his mark, he doesn’t show much at home and therefore could improve again. He is deceptive. He likes soft ground and won well at Ffos Las in January. The handicapper has raised him eleven pounds but I hope he can progress and be competitive off his revised rating.

KATKEAU (FR) 8 b g Kotky Bleu (FR) – Levine (FR)
A winner at Cheltenham’s Paddy Power meeting, I thought he ran very well at Chepstow last time behind Virtuel D’Oudon. He will improve for the run, too, and I think he will run a good race in the Pertemps Final at a big price. A strong traveller, he stays well and handles most types of ground. We also have the option of dropping him back in trip for the Coral Cup because he isn’t short of speed either. However, the Pertemps is his most likely target.

KINGS PALACE (IRE) 7
b g King’s Theatre (IRE) – Sarahs Quay (IRE)
Unbeaten in three races over fences, he is in good form at home and heads to Cheltenham for the RSA Chase on Wednesday. His preparation has gone well and I couldn’t be happier with him. Contrary to what has been said in the Press, he doesn’t have to make the running. Indeed, if Coneygree runs in the race rather than the Gold Cup, he will give us an ideal tow into the race and I think he will be better with a lead. He was very keen over hurdles last season and was inclined to race with the choke out. However, he is much more relaxed now and has grown up. He underwent a wind operation last summer, which I also think has made a big difference to him. Effective on any ground, he has plenty of course experience and goes there with a great chance.

KNIGHT OF NOIR (IRE) 6
b g Winged Love (IRE) – At Dawn (IRE)
He has run well this season without winning, finishing runner-up at Cheltenham twice and fifth at Exeter last time. The race wasn’t run to suit at Exeter, either, because he likes a flat out gallop from the outset. Proven at the track, he goes for the Pertemps Final on Thursday and I think he will run well at a decent price. The state of the ground won’t matter.

MONETAIRE (FR) 9 b g Anabaa (USA) – Monitrice (FR)
An interesting horse, he runs in either the Brown Advisory & Merriebelle Stable Plate on Thursday or the Grand Annual the following day. The decision depends on the ground. If it is good ground, he is likely to run over 2m 5f but, if it is on the slow side, he will run in the Grand Annual. He is effective over both trips and has been trained with the Festival in mind. Ex-French, he has only raced twice for us finishing third at the Paddy Power meeting before winning a fortnight later at Newbury’s Hennessy meeting. Absent since, he wasn’t quite right afterwards but is in good form again now and I think he will run very well this week.

MOON RACER (IRE) 6 b g Saffron Walden (FR) – Angel’s Folly
I am hoping he has a very good chance in the bumper. Unbeaten in two races, we bought him in the spring a few days after he had made a winning debut at Fairyhouse. The form of that race has worked out extremely well with the fourth (Tycoon Prince) winning his next three starts. He produced another very good performance to win at Cheltenham’s opening meeting in October. Although he had been going well at home beforehand, I didn’t expect him to win by twelve lengths. He quickened off the bend and it was an impressive display. We toyed with the idea of sending him hurdling but decided to keep him to bumpers. We also considered running him in the valuable bumper at Newbury last month but he hadn’t quite come to himself. However, he is in good form at home and his preparation has gone well. My dad won the Festival bumper with Liberman in 2003 but this horse is in a different league. Having said that, Liberman wasn’t the greatest of horses, so it probably isn’t saying much.

SAIL BY THE SEA (IRE) 7 b g Heron Island (IRE) – Trajectus
Owned by Roger Brookhouse, I am hoping lightning will strike twice and he repeats Western Warhorse’s victory in the Arkle Trophy on Tuesday. He has only raced twice over fences winning easily at Chepstow last time and deserves to take his chance. He has come out of the race well and he is a nice horse for the future. I hope he will run well and perhaps get placed. His four runs for us have been on soft or heavy but he won an Irish point on good ground, so I don’t think it matters.

STANDING OVATION (IRE) 8
b g Presenting – Glittering Star (IRE)
Entered in the three mile handicap on Tuesday and the Kim Muir, plus the Midlands National, it is borderline whether he gets in or not at the Festival. He ran very well in the three mile handicap last year finishing sixth and the drier the ground the better his chance. He also ran a good race at Cheltenham in October when runner-up.

THE PACKAGE 12
br g Kayf Tara – Ardent Bride
He is also in the same two races at Cheltenham, plus the Midlands National, as Standing Ovation. If lining up in the three mile handicap on Tuesday, it will be the fifth time he has contested the race. A very good third last year, the form has worked out extremely well because he chased home Holywell and Ma Filleule. Despite his age, he is in great form at home and it wouldn’t be the biggest surprise if he went close at the Festival once again. Better ground would help his cause.

UN TEMPS POUR TOUT (IRE) 6
b g Robin Des Champs (FR) – Rougedespoir (FR)
He ran a very pleasing race in the Cleeve Hurdle at Cheltenham in January and has improved a lot for the run. He had a good blow afterwards and is going well at home in preparation for the World Hurdle on Thursday. It was the first time he had tackled three miles but we now know he stays and we will ride him differently this week. He had a breathing operation during the summer and, although he isn’t over big, he is quite a burly horse and takes a fair bit of getting fit hence he needed the run at Cheltenham. Having bought him midway through last season, we started from scratch this time and that has made a big difference.

UNANIMITE (FR) 4 ch g Kentucky Dynamite (USA) – Dame Blanche (USA)
Runs in the Fred Winter Hurdle on Wednesday and has done nothing wrong in three races over hurdles. A winner at Market Rasen on his jumping debut in October, we rode him wrong at Aintree next time. However, he ran well at Cheltenham when only beaten seven lengths in a Grade 2 containing Hargam in November. He likes to be held up and this has been the plan ever since. Better ground will help his cause.

UNIQUE DE COTTE (FR) 7 b g Voix Du Nord (FR) – Kadalka De Cotte (FR)
Owned by J.P.McManus, he is entered in the Coral Cup/Pertemps and my father’s race. Twice a winner this season, including at the Paddy Power meeting in November, he needed to win in good style at Ascot last time, in order to rise sufficiently in the weights to get in at the Festival. He has always promised a lot in his work at home and I think he is capable of improving again off his mark. We fitted him with a tongue tie for the first time at Ascot and it certainly didn’t do him any harm. Both his wins this season have been on soft ground and he does have quite a high knee action. We therefore don’t know how he will handle faster ground.

VIEUX LION ROUGE
(FR) 6 ch g Sabiango (GER) – Indecise (FR)
He was nearly favourite for my dad’s race last year and the plan is to run him in it once again. Third in the Silver Trophy at Chepstow on his reappearance, we have changed a few things and I think he could run well at a big price. He goes well fresh and is in good form at home. We will almost certainly put some headgear on, too.

<tbody>
[TD="class: s23"]
MY BEST CHANCE OF THE FESTIVAL:KINGS PALACE
[/TD]

</tbody>

Last edited:
Back