Ffos Las and management structure

Merlin the Magician

At the Start
Racecourse management team unveiled

by Sion Barry, Western Mail
NORTHERN RACING has unveiled the management team to operate Ffos Las Racecourse which will open in West Wales next year.
The project in Carmarthenshire is the first turf racecourse to be launched in the UK for 80 years and has led to a series of management changes and opportunities at Northern Racing.
Ffos Las Racecourse, which will be the 10th course that the group will operate, will host horse racing from next June.
Northern Racing has confirmed that Jon Williams will be general manager and Tim Long the clerk of the course. Mr Williams leaves Bath Racecourse where he has been general manager for four years, while Mr Long – who is clerk of the course at Chepstow and Bath and has an overseeing role at Hereford –will concentrate on Chepstow and Ffos Las.
The moves follow the decision by the owners of Ffos Las to appoint Northern Racing to manage the new racecourse from the start of September.
For Mr Williams, who grew up in Pembrokeshire, it marks a return to working in Wales since joining Northern Racing from the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff.
Furthermore, in a promotion to its head office team, Northern Racing has appointed Matt Hudson to the newly-created position of events and venue hire director.
He has been general manager of Brighton Racecourse since 2004, and was previously in charge of attracting external events to the Sussex racecourse.
Northern Racing’s non-horse racing activities have grown considerably over the past few years, and are an increasing source of income.
Tony Kelly, Northern Racing’s group managing director, said: “I am delighted to announce these appointments. It is indicative of the talented pool of management and staff throughout the group that we can promote from within.
“For a number of years we have pursued a strategy of proactively developing our people, it is therefore particularly pleasing that all these opportunities have been filled by internal candidates.”
The Ffos Las Racecourse is expected to bring up to £600m into the local economy.
The track, which will have a capacity for 15,000 spectators, is sited on a former opencast coal mine at Trimsaran near Llanelli.
The racecourse consists of a one-mile four-furlong oval track with provision for National Hunt and flat racing, and will be the first entirely new track with facilities for hurdle racing since Taunton was opened in 1927. It has also been nominated as a possible training venue for the 2012 Olympics. The 600-acre development will also see a hotel, pub and restaurant built, along with a grandstand, stables accommodation and administrative buildings.
It is a joint venture between Pembrey Racecourse, formed 10 years ago to develop horse racing facilities in South Wales, and the Walters Group – a plant hire, civil engineering and mining business.

The lass who replaces John at Bath is a woman called Jo and she is absolutely gorgous, a very good move by Bath if I must say so myself :)

...to get rid of yer man????? Probably so!!!

So, it appears Ffos Las is fated to go the same way as Bath, and Chepstow before it (Wincanton is trying hard too) in attracting as a large percentage of the crowd coachloads of pissed up Welsh who aren't even aware that horses are in the vicinity.

A welcome addition. Not sure there is another part of the country so ill served by live racing. Chpestow is virtually in england and well over an hours drive from SW wales

Much like North Wales - nothing if you're on the Western side although if you're not far from the A55 it's not too difficult to get to Chester but still a bit of a pain.

...to get rid of yer man????? Probably so!!!

So, it appears Ffos Las is fated to go the same way as Bath, and Chepstow before it (Wincanton is trying hard too) in attracting as a large percentage of the crowd coachloads of pissed up Welsh who aren't even aware that horses are in the vicinity.

Probably although it's easy to argue that most courses in England have to put up with a fair few coachloads of pissed up English people.

In my opinion Chepstow has deteriorated massively over the last decade.Losing the Rehearsal Chase was a disaster.

NICKY HENDERSON and Barry Hills would not hesitate to run their best horses at Ffos Las after becoming the first trainers from outside Wales to visit the new Carmathenshire racecourse.
2545.jpg
Nicky Henderson: 'very impressed'
PICTURE: Mark Cranham
The Lambourn neighbours were effusive in their praise for the track that is on schedule to stage the first of its eight fixtures this year, which include two Flat meetings, with an evening jumping card on June 18.
"I was very impressed," said Henderson, who with Hills, was given a guided tour by racecourse director Mark Kershaw on Friday.
"You would run any horse on it. If they said they wanted to have a Champion Hurdle or Gold Cup trial there, you would send your horse. It is as good as that.
"I take my hat off to them. I think they have done a hell of a job."
Hills said: "I was most impressed with the whole set-up. Ffos Las will be a championship racecourse, you could run any race in the world there. They have done a really good job and they deserve success."

High praise, and it sounds genuine.

All sounds pretty encouraging?

By PA Sport Staff
Officials at Ffos Las expressed their delight after receiving the entries for the opening fixture on Thursday evening.
Around 250 horses have been entered for the seven races at the Welsh venue - the first new turf racecourse to open in Britain for more than 80 years - which has already attracted a 10,000 sell-out crowd.
There is the prospect the very first race could be won by a horse owned by the man who developed the racecourse as Dai Walters' Ffos Las Diamond is set to line up in the freebets.co.uk 'National Hunt' Novices' Hurdle under Tony McCoy.
Walters said: "I'm thrilled and excited by the entries at the six-day stage and we all can't wait to start racing next Thursday."
The ferries between Ireland and west Wales will also be busy with horse transportation judging by the number of entries from Irish stables.
Clerk of the Course Tim Long added: "We're absolutely thrilled with these entries. Trainers from Wales, England and Ireland have supported us in big numbers."
With all tickets having been sold for June 18, the racecourse stressed no one should come without a ticket because there will be no cash admission on the night.

Matt Hudson trained under Phil Bell, current manager of Fontwell Park and at one time managing both that course and Brighton. He learned a great deal from Phil, whose onerous job it was to take the course from a battered old has-been wreck, rundown and ruined by Brighton Council, to Northern Racing's top earning course for non-raceday income. Given its tiny size and the fierce competition for custom from the city's thousands of pubs, clubs, bars, hotels and assorted eateries, Phil and Matt promoted its little socks off (which current manager Stefan Hull continues to do), ensuring that few establishments escaped leafletting, that local radio stations reminded their listeners of upcoming racedays and other events, and that as many county magazines as possible made some reference to the course.

I'm sure that Matt will do a stand-up job of promoting Ffos Las far beyond its racing and other horsey remit and will bring in a steady income stream from non-racing activities. Tony Kelly visited Brighton last meeting, much in evidence looking around the course and taking a hands-on approach, which has always been the hallmark of Northern Racing's directors and management. They set pretty tough goals and Matt always exceeded them, so it's no surprise he got a directorship out of his work ethic.

I'm impressed that it's sold out.

Can't help thinking that the racing will end up looking like a mix between Chepstow and Tramore cards as more Irish trainers use the venue.

All sounds pretty encouraging?

By PA Sport Staff
Officials at Ffos Las expressed their delight after receiving the entries for the opening fixture on Thursday evening.
Around 250 horses have been entered for the seven races at the Welsh venue - the first new turf racecourse to open in Britain for more than 80 years - which has already attracted a 10,000 sell-out crowd.
There is the prospect the very first race could be won by a horse owned by the man who developed the racecourse as Dai Walters' Ffos Las Diamond is set to line up in the freebets.co.uk 'National Hunt' Novices' Hurdle under Tony McCoy.
Walters said: "I'm thrilled and excited by the entries at the six-day stage and we all can't wait to start racing next Thursday."
The ferries between Ireland and west Wales will also be busy with horse transportation judging by the number of entries from Irish stables.
Clerk of the Course Tim Long added: "We're absolutely thrilled with these entries. Trainers from Wales, England and Ireland have supported us in big numbers."
With all tickets having been sold for June 18, the racecourse stressed no one should come without a ticket because there will be no cash admission on the night.

Well I hope to upset my good friend Dai`s plan with one of my horses . As I am his guest it won`t go down too well but a bit of competition is good for the soul. Ffos Las is blue ditch by the way in that area.

Back