Ffos Las and management structure

Horrible fall just there - horse got up but the jockey looked like he went right under an on-rushing horse.

Edit: it was Wayne Hutchison, and he's up ok.

Jockeys like the ride it gives them and the opinion is that it'll be fair to any horse, although the chase jumps are, apparently, as stiff as Newbury's (in their construction) and won't, presumably, forgive those that tank them too much while enjoying the lovely flat runs to them.

So pleased that a Welsh-owned horse made Ffos Las history by winning the first, and that it was trained by Evan Williams, too. Also great that their first Chase was won by the champeen himself - even if his horse jumped dreadfully right-handed all the way, a win's a win for all that.

It looks as if they've got the business off the ground very efficiently and I hope that they continue to receive the excellent patronage they did today, since it appears that they well deserve it.

Pity that ATR didn't take the opportunity to send a presenter who'd do the rounds of the whole set-up, though: Bob Cooper is king of the banal inanity, not much better today, and therefore no insights into the stabling, stable staff accom, the bars, restaurant, general lay-out, etc. now that it's all actually working.

Well I was pleased with my win with Quattrocento chaps, and if Ballyvesey had given me the double ( He did beat my mate Dais horse Ffos Las Diamond ) there would have been a lot more of singing last night than there was. Very nearly a record touch .Your friend the TV presenter missed the irony ,when I pointed out to him Quattro had broken the track record.

Congratulations on the win Roddy - presume you'll be sending more horses back there and an awesome way to start your career at FL with a track record ;)

Well I hope to upset my good friend Dai`s plan with one of my horses . As I am his guest it won`t go down too well but a bit of competition is good for the soul. Ffos Las is blue ditch by the way in that area.

Well you did beat it Roddy I guess, here's a pic of yours

DSCF0358.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations, Roddy, great to get a win.

Btw I had assumed 'Roddy Owen' was a nom de plume. There used to be a decent chaser of the same name, I think?

Grey, you aren't alone - thought the same thing until I checked out the horse on the RP online! Yes, history has been made! Aren't forumites' horses doing well? (Watch Nicks disgrace us tomorrow... !)

It was nice to see Sir Peter O'Sullevan presiding at the official opening but I was disappointed to see that the plaque he unveiled was in English only.

He did his bit,( Po`S ) speaking in Welsh,although the accent left a lot to be desired.Was that a Ladbrokes man who drove him home? Mobiles ( Vodaphone) still didn`t work there but the owners bar was much better. Although you`d think they would have a bit of mint sauce to go with the beautiful salt marsh Welsh lamb.

Congratulations, Roddy, great to get a win.

Btw I had assumed 'Roddy Owen' was a nom de plume. There used to be a decent chaser of the same name, I think?

He won the 59 Gold Cup as I remember. Would like to think I was named after him but I`m to old for that.

I enjoyed my first visit to FFos Las last Friday and obviously the course management are realising their dream. (Great viewing of all parts of the racing from parade to racing to winner’s enclosure)

It also brought into focus a few issues, taking into account a developing track together with a sell-out crowd for the official opening:

- Too few ladies toilets and the steps up to the temporary loos made them inaccessible for my dear old Mum and her Sisters.

- One race-card selling station (yet, at least 3 Racing Post selling stations)

- The overwhelming crush in and around the Bookie stations as well as in the space between the grandstand and the bookies. A discomfort made to feel a serious problem when before the last race there was a sudden downpour and a mass movement of (pretty drunk!) people racing to find cover.

- The lack of any attractions for the very young (I know they’re having a families day soon).

- For the mobility challenged (the old, infirm and those on mobility scooters) I felt there was too little space to move around and very little comfortable seating. Could there be a business case for partitioning-off an enclosure especially for the old/infirm and maybe attracting a larger crowd. I would suggest to the right of the main bookies area looking from the grandstand.

- I must admit that, in the case of the NH racing and the short run to the line, it appeared to me a case of which horse could dash over the last fence and sprint 100 yards. This might add hesitation in the minds of some trainers when they plan a season for their best horses. Why not sacrifice the last fence and reposition the remaining three in the straight?

- The flatness of the ‘engineered’ course seemed not to allow the big NH horses to string out much, however good this might be for the spectators, I felt a degree of trepidation watching bunched fields racing around the bends and, in particular, jockeys holding their horse together for the first fence in the home straight.

Overall a great day and an interesting one comparing a new track with the more establuished ones I usually if infrequently visit.
MR2

Monty, do please send in those recommendations to the manager. They'll want feedback, and as yours is couched as recommendations, rather than sounding like a rant, they will definitely give your ideas attention. They must particularly have their attention directed to disability access to lavatories, temp or not. What you might want to suggest is that they provide a viewing dais for the wheelchair-bound, as they do at many courses (Ascot is one example), so they're not disadvantaged from seeing the finish. I doubt there's a business case for an enclosure for the old and infirm, but there is an accessibility case for a viewing dais, and perhaps some more bench seating.

As far as the very young are concerned, you could suggest that they run a creche, where parents pay a small fee, perhaps £5 a child, to park them with a qualified attendant. Unfortunately, attractions for the 'very' young have to be factored into the entry fee, as none of them are cheap to hire, due to H&S considerations.

Well worth sending them an e-mail outlining your observations, and do let them know that, overall, you had a great day out.

They are appointing a new MD at prsent and I am sure he would like to hear your comments. Same problem with the loos in the owners. One for all of us,Gents/Ladies and infirm . Overall though brilliant

I sent my thoughts to the FFos Las (J. Williams) with no reply, thats not important, but watching the racing on-line this afternoon left me very uneasy.

I'm no expert nor rider but the tight bends, flatness of the track and short final sprint appears to persuade the jockeys to 'power' around and I fear that the debacle seen at those last three fences will be repeated too often for comfortable viewing. (Am I right in thinking two meetings - two fatalities?)

It is a lovely course but ....

MR2

You would like to think they will at least get back with a thank you for your constructive criticism....which it seems very much that it is.

Back