Films

Just watched Tell No One and I thought it was very good. It was quite pacy for a French thriller, perhaps even a bit Hollywood, but the acting was absolutely first rate and that definitely made it worth the time invested in it.

Few weeks ago I watched 'Kingdom of Heaven - Directors Cut', it was light years better than the original release with something of a jaw-dropper half way through.

A much longer movie but one that filled in the obvious gaps to the story in the original release.

MR2

Just watched Tell No One and I thought it was very good. It was quite pacy for a French thriller, perhaps even a bit Hollywood, but the acting was absolutely first rate and that definitely made it worth the time invested in it.

Saw it a few months ago. I can see what Clarkson sees in Kristin Scott-Thomas after that, she was lush. Maybe it was the French language.

The lead actor was in L'enfer with Emmanuelle Beart. Lucky git.

Saw Battle Royale (on Tarantino's recommendation) last night. Not sure it's the best film of the last fifteen years or so but it was good fun nonetheless. The girl he used as the Japanese school girl in Kill Bill is in it.

Watched Million Dollar Baby for the first time last night.

I thought it was a pretty good film bar the last half-hour, which could easily have been condensed and/or rewritten. Went for the big sob effect (a la Champion) but it didn't work. Not for me, anyway, which is some going considering what a sop I am.

Sorry G-G, forgot to mention. In the original release the music score seemed to overshadow the rather shallow storyline. In the 'Director's Cut' the music and stoyline seemed to complement each other.

Just one character overplayed, I'll let you decide.

MR2

I've never really been one for Clint Eastwood films but I watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges stole the show for me. He was superb.

2006 Guillermo del Toro writer/director, PAN'S LABYRINTH (El Laberinto del Fauno). It uses regular film and CGI to create a bizarre fantasy world for the young, fated heroine, in sharp contrast to the brutality of the Maquis/Franquist clashes taking place in Spain in 1944. The originality of the fantastic creatures and the strange beauty of the labyrinth scenes are stunning, and if you aren't a snivelling wreck at the end, you have a heart of stone!

Le Donk and Scorzayzee - Paddy Considine causing chaos - pretty funny. Plus I was actually at the Arctic's gig that they were filming at (I think as I didn't get there until after they would have been on!).

Ils (Them) - Plenty of suspense, but no real story/plot. Too much of the cliched overly dark shaky-cam style of shooting rather than properly composing the film. I wouldn't recommend it.

The Men Who Stare At Goats - One word: Daft. I watched it as the opening film of a festival in a packed auditorium. It got plenty of titters of laugher, but no-one was rolling around on the floor. Kevin Spacey is very good at what he does and Clooney, McGregor and Bridges did little wrong. The constant Star Wars references got a little tiresome and could have been a little more subtle around McGregor. Good fun though.

Is it about experiments done by the US Army into trying to influence behaviour - didn't they try staring at animals in an effort to paralyse them (temporarily)? The idea being that if you could transmit powerful brainwaves to your enemy, then he'd obligingly fold up in place, while you stepped in to overrun his country. Sorry, to bring democracy and peace to his people.

Back