Films

I found a pretty cool store with cheap Jean-Luc Godard movies, and bought Le Mepris & Au Bout du Souffle for £3 each; classics.

;) You bet! Got to agree with you - his movies are sharp as a tack, really move the story forward (exhaustingly fast at times!) and all the characters are developed, not just the top lead.

Public Enemies

Too long and poorly-paced, it felt as though plenty could have been left on the cutting room floor. Both the dialogue and he screen play were not as slick as I felt they should have been.

Depp missed the mark: we are told that his character is likeable, but I didn't like him.

Cotillard's role was shallow and verged on pointless.

One positive would be that Christian Bale absolutely nailed his part.

There's a super film just started on Film 4 - Heaven Can Wait, the original with Don Ameche. One of my favourite films.

Half Blood Prince is enjoyable (if your a Harry Potter fan)....not a patch on the book but nice to see something on the big screen that your mind has pictured from the book previously.

Public Enemies

Too long and poorly-paced, it felt as though plenty could have been left on the cutting room floor. Both the dialogue and he screen play were not as slick as I felt they should have been.

Depp missed the mark: we are told that his character is likeable, but I didn't like him.

Cotillard's role was shallow and verged on pointless.

One positive would be that Christian Bale absolutely nailed his part.

Agree with all that. There didn't seem to be anything in the movie frankly ... no character development, didn't exploit the relationship between Hoover and Dillinger, pace was all wrong ... it basically was some loud noises a la Michael Mann. He's becoming an increasingly disappointing director, especially when you consider this with the likes of Collateral, with the cringeworthy end where Cruise's character dies on the train.

35 shots is the most beautiful film i have seen in years. It is a drama without any great plot and like many films from france, concentrates more on the interaction between the main characters, which is often silent. Not going to be veryones cup of tea but i found it gripping and genuinely moving. Wonderfully shot too.

A masterpiece IMO

:lol: I'll drink to that! I'm surprised it didn't come with some ghastly drone from the NHS warning viewers about responsible drinking!

Stones and glass houses spring to mind remembering a couple of their senior medical/surgical staff (now retired) were once caught driving away from the Cheltenham Festival, breathalysed and found to be 8x over the limit. :D

Watched Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid this afternoon (C4) for the first time in about 20 years. I'd forgotten how good it was.

Back