Films

Bone Tomahawk

This is quite an extraordinary movie -- and I loved it.
This film has completely passed under the radar; probably has only had showings in arthouse cinemas but it deserves a wider audience.
The acting, the atmosphere, and the quite brilliant theme of the storyline are all faultless. But most of all it is the fabulous verbal wit of the curt, terse dialogue that lifts it into topnotch territory. "Say goodbye to my wife or I'll say hello to your's". I have honestly not come across a better example of film-scripting in a long time.

The film's budget was virtually rockbottom -- under $2 milion -- but you wouldn't notice.
The theme is groundbreaking -- a sort of new genre -- Horror/Western. A group of Old West cowpokes head out in a hunt for a friend held captive by a tribe of cannibalistic, cave-dwelling Indians who have been untouched by any civilised contact. Very violent and savage, it must be said.
Kurt Russell is outstanding, as are the other two leads Patrick Wilson and Zahn McClarnon ( both from Fargo last series). The bit-part players are excellent also.
Probably not showing at any mainstream theatre, but freely available on Showbox or Rainier.
I truly feel Bone Tomahawk will become a "cult" classic in years to come.

Last edited:
Bone Tomahawk

This is quite an extraordinary movie -- and I loved it.
This film has completely passed under the radar; probably has only had showings in arthouse cinemas but it deserves a wider audience.
The acting, the atmosphere, and the quite brilliant theme of the storyline are all faultless. But most of all it is the fabulous verbal wit of the curt, terse dialogue that lifts it into topnotch territory. "Say goodbye to my wife. I'll say hello to your's". I have honestly not come across a better example of film-scripting in a long time.

The film's budget was virtually rockbottom -- under $2 milion -- but you wouldn't notice.
The theme is groundbreaking -- a sort of new genre -- Horror/Western. A group of Old West cowpokes head out in a hunt for a friend held captive by a tribe of cannibalistic, cave-dwelling Indians who have been untouched by any civilised contact. Very violent and savage, it must be said.
Kurt Russell is outstanding, as are the other two leads Patrick Wilson and Zahn McClarnon ( both from True Detective series2). The bit-part players are excellent also.
Probably not showing at any mainstream theatre, but freely available on Showbox and Rainier.
I truly feel Bone Tomahawk will become a "cult" film in years to come.

Sounds interesting, will have to try and catch that somehow. Won't have been on at my local cinema for sure. Reviews on IMDB seem pretty positive too, western meets cannibalism seems to be the main headline.

I went to see The Witch on Tuesday night, thought it was garbage and hated the dialogue in the film, it was like listening to Yoda speak in a Yorkshire accent. Reviews were positive but I left feeling I'd wasted 2hrs and wouldn't really reccomend it to anyone, catch it on DVD or a dodgy download link.

I went to see 10 Cloverfield Lane tonight and quite enjoyed it. It isn't a follow on from Cloverfield as some were mentioning it like a sequel. It's almost 2 films in one and leaves you guessing in parts and questioning the excellent John Goodman, is he a good man or is he not? Turns into an alien sci-fi type film towards the end (which you'd expect with Cloverfield in the title) and pretty much sets it up for another addition. There are only a few actors/actresses in the film but it's quite tense and works well.

It may not be to your taste, Dave. I would feel bad, if after watching it, that you might consider it two hours of your life wasted. :)

The film will not be to most people's taste I reckon. To horror fans raised on a diet of mindless slasher pics of radiation-mutated zombies or college co-eds getting tortured in a wooden cabin it will seem bland whilst fans of the Western movie category will see it as a perversion of the heritage and history of the genre.
Personally, I have a strong aversion to Horror/slasher films -- I avoid them. But this is different; the horror, when it comes, is a horror of primitive evil in a recognisably human form albeit a human form more neanderthal than homo sapiens. It's a kind of more adult horror that is logical and rational seeing as who the perpetrators are.

I have read that the leading actors signed up for the film on a nominal fee -- something like a dollar -- just a fraction of what they can command and all because of the script from a first time writer/director. It was a true commitment by Russell et al, and it shows in their performances.
Anyway, like t or loath it, I guarantee there are some scenes that will stay in your minds-eye for a long time afterwards.

Viva popcorntime, eh ! :cool:

Just seen 10 Cloverfield Lane, John Goodman is excellent. Really enjoyed it, was tense and gripping.......until the last 10 minutes then it got stupid.

Just got back from Dawn Of Justice - Batman v Superman, pretty average to be honest. Lots of action and fight scenes but not much depth story wise and doesn't really add much to what we already know but sets up a whole host of DC Justice League films to rival the Avengers from Marvel. The plot seemed to be all over the place, back and forth from Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent, Lex Luther and nothing really seemed to link together neatly. About a 6.5/10 for me, could have been so much better. The kids will love it, the film will sell tons of merchandise but left me feeling a bit meh.

Sad to hear it didn't blow you away Mowgli......Deadpool Captain America Xmen The Avengers Spiderman Batman Ironman have a lot more going for them than any Superman movie to date....I wish for the the Superman movies they would come up with a script where there are no people falling out the Phantom Zone or yet another bunch of Aliens from outer space turns up....there were zillions of stories in the comics but they decided to go over the same old ground.........Smallville was mega popular because it was different and had more personal touch maybe they should concentrate more on Clark Kent than Superman and just let him sort out Mr mean and his henchmen rather than fighting the Shark man from the planet Kod

Seems Toby McGuire is no longer the flavour of Hollywood with nothing in the pipeline after his success with Spiderman and an oustanding performance in Sea Buscuit.

Reduced to doing a TV mini series he then came up with another Gem of a Performance I just discovered as Bobby Fischer in Pawn Sacrafice Excellent movie well worth a look is on Popcorn

Saw Eddie The Eagle and Midnight Special today.
Both 6.5/10, the former is a feel good film, we all know the story. Considering I loathe Sci-Fi films Midnight Special kept me interested.
The Huntsman I also saw on Weds and found it enjoyable, nice cameos from Nick Frost, Rob Brydon and Sheridan Smith.

Am not a massive film goer but watched The Big Short on a recent flight. Very possible it’s already been discussed on here, but was really surprised how much I enjoyed it.

Great cast (recognised lots of them but could only name Christian Bale and Brad Pitt) and the makers have managed to make a truly entertaining film from a very un-entertaining subject. Excellent and highly recommended

Saw the Caretaker at the old vic with Timothy spall yesterday. I'm not one who's drawn to the stage because certain stars are appearing but he's long been an absolute favourite of mine from early Mike Leigh, Auf weidersen to turner.

Ive seen the play on tv before. It's good darkly comic stuff but spall was just mesmerising. I just find live theatre of this quality unbeatable.

It's a short run so tickets probably hard to get but do so if you can

fancy the Helen mirren film and will definitely see Miles. Huge fan of Miles Davis

Last edited:
Just seen Eye in the Sky starring the excellent Helen Mirren, think it was also Alan Rickman's last film.
Another really good watch.

Last edited:
No films but two plays to catch

blue orange at the young vic is masterful. Just three actors and one room. Very hard to describe the plot as such but it's perceptions of mental health and the nature of the politics around the wider subject. Sounds extremely unappealing on the face of it but it's extremely thought provoking and genuinely very funny in parts. Great theatre

lost boys at Southwark playhouse which is about two Vietnam vets is well worth seeing too

saw midsummers night dream for first time at globe. Lively production and imaginative but it must be by far his most overrated play. It's flimsy and trite with virtually no memorable lines.

I realise it isn't a new film but I caught most of Runaway Jury the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I don't know if it has been discussed already on this thread (haven't been following it) but I found it almost an equivalent of Enemy of the State meets Perry Mason.

Maybe it was the three or four pints of Stella Artois, but I really liked it (the film as well as the bevvy).

Back