Films

Spotlight is the best film I've seen in a while.
The chronology of the Boston Globe's exposé of child abuse in the local priesthood, it shows the nuts and bolts build-up from a couple of local issues into a world-wide scandal. If true stories are your bag, it's definitely worth a watch.

This is the best movie i've seen in the last few years. Brilliant. Fast paced. Great acting. It would be a sin if it didn't win best film. But it won't obviously!

Saw Youth today. He's one of my very favourite directors and his films always leave a mark and leave you thinking. This certainly des. Caine and Fonda are superb but it's a bit uneven with some truly great scenes and some that really seem a bit meaningless. Not a film everyone will enjoy

Saw Spotlight on Friday and thought it was brilliant. It gathered pace well and it was hard to see if some ends that weren't tied up were done so on purpose. Ruffalo was good and his speech about nailing the scumbags was genuinely moving but I didn't think there was one standout performance worthy of an oscar. Saw some reviews on IMDB saying it would be a straight to DVD type film if it wasn't for the oscars, felt that was unfair.

Just been to see Room this afternoon, a must watch for me. Emotional and traumatic at times, brilliant performance from Brie Larson but an absolutely breathtaking performance from Jacob Tremblay who plays Jack. Hard to think of another performance by a child that was so good. Great storyline all the way through and takes nothing for granted, even how to walk up/down steps if you lack that experience. Don't want to say too much and ruin the film but it's a story of the love between mother and child and is really moving, 3-4 times I was wiping away tears. If you want a saccharin sweet hollywood story this isn't it, quite bleak at times (especially at the beginning) but one that will really make you think. (and probably make you appreciate your kids more)

Saw 2 today,
The Big Short, very interesting more than enjoyable felt more like a documentary at times but worth watching.
Dirty Grandpa, juvenile, puerile, crude. had me laughing a lot though.

Can only add to the comments about spotlight. I thought the deliberately low key direction and naturalistic performances just added to the intensity. There was not one wasted word. Not one less than pitch perfect scene

this is an absolute must see film on every level. It's a film touched with greatness

I have swerved watching Spotlight for some time now because I find the subject-matter very, very uncomfortable. This is one of the extremely rare occasions when I would avoid a film because of a particular theme.

I have swerved watching Spotlight for some time now because I find the subject-matter very, very uncomfortable. This is one of the extremely rare occasions when I would avoid a film because of a particular theme.

Understandable but think more along lines of all the presidents men. A very similar film which focuses on the journalism

the beauty of the film is that it doesn't sensationalise in any way. It's refreshing low key which it makes it even more striking when genuine anger is shown.

The performances are quite strikingly convincing and near perfect. No lookatmeiwantaoscar here.

i doubt I will see a better film this year

In truth I often avoid films because of themes. Sci if and "action" is a bore. I'm sure the film on formula one was pretty good but I would rather have root canal than watch anything to do with that. . Revenent is another. I'm not interested in showcases for semi talented tossers eating grizzly bears. 50 years of slave another to avoid. Miserable and po faced.

Understandable but think more along lines of all the presidents men.
Thanks. I'll force myself, then, to give it a watch although I do know that it will make me very uncomfortable.
I don't have any problem watching any genre or difficult subject matter because usually such films will be fictional. I actually like film noir to an extent. It's just that Spotlight is factual, and I can't help but be affected by the real awfulness of the paedophile aspect of it knowing that this isn't a "made-up" story but the reality..
Maybe it's a deepset psychological issue that I have; as a young boy of around ten years during a hospital stay I was subjected to an incident. Thankfully, it wasn't rape, rather a bit of kiddy-fiddling. Even at such a remove of so many years in the interim, I still get the creeps when this subject matter is put in front of me either in film or book.
(Dunno quite why I have mentioned this here and now; I have rarely if ever spoken of it before).:blink:

Yeh, you're probably right !
It's time to leave the past behind, and to stop being a hostage to memory.
I'll give the film a run in the coming days.

Thanks. I'll force myself, then, to give it a watch although I do know that it will make me very uncomfortable.
I don't have any problem watching any genre or difficult subject matter because usually such films will be fictional. I actually like film noir to an extent. It's just that Spotlight is factual, and I can't help but be affected by the real awfulness of the paedophile aspect of it knowing that this isn't a "made-up" story but the reality..
Maybe it's a deepset psychological issue that I have; as a young boy of around ten years during a hospital stay I was subjected to an incident. Thankfully, it wasn't rape, rather a bit of kiddy-fiddling. Even at such a remove of so many years in the interim, I still get the creeps when this subject matter is put in front of me either in film or book.
(Dunno quite why I have mentioned this here and now; I have rarely if ever spoken of it before).:blink:

You'll go through a series of emotions watching Spotlight but that for me shows how effective it is as a film. I was angry, upset, disgusted and frustrated throughout the film but the fact this got exposed and possibly saved a lot of other children from abuse has to be celebrated. I was genuinely moved by Ruffalo's speech, it was really powerful, didn't feel over acted, felt totally genuine and honest.
I can't stand walking out of the cinema and just thinking "meh, it was ok, nothing special". I want to feel something from a film ideally, unless it's just a way to wind down, probably some kind of action film where you can just switch off. I guarantee you'll feel something after watching Spotlight, hopefully it's a sense of pride at the courage displayed by the victims and the determination of the investigative journalists.

In truth I often avoid films because of themes.

I have a few colleagues that can't watch any films that contain any sort of animal abuse. I recommended Tyrannosaur to a few as it's a wonderful film but there are 2 specific scenes where a dog is hurt and they had to switch off without seeing the rest of the film.

I went to see The Revenant on Monday evening, I thought it was bleak but also beautiful in parts, some of the photography in the film was outstanding. I thought the ending was a tad disappointing. Di Caprio was good but I also thought Tom Hardy was a great supporting actor. Although it's a lengthy film I didn't feel like it dragged at all. For me it's also one to see at the cinema rather than a home TV.

I have just been to see Deadpool tonight with very little knowledge of the character beforehand. I enjoyed it but it's crass, one liners and quite bloody and gory at times. It's a 15 rating which is understandable and the storyline is quite thin but it doesn't take itself too seriously, lots of talking to the camera/audience which some will like and others will hate. I hope to see Concussion over the weekend and then Triple 9 next week.

You'll go through a series of emotions watching Spotlight but that for me shows how effective it is as a film. I was angry, upset, disgusted and frustrated throughout the film but the fact this got exposed and possibly saved a lot of other children from abuse has to be celebrated. I was genuinely moved by Ruffalo's speech, it was really powerful, didn't feel over acted, felt totally genuine and honest.
I can't stand walking out of the cinema and just thinking "meh, it was ok, nothing special". I want to feel something from a film ideally, unless it's just a way to wind down, probably some kind of action film where you can just switch off. I guarantee you'll feel something after watching Spotlight, hopefully it's a sense of pride at the courage displayed by the victims and the determination of the investigative journalists.

good stuff but wouldn't you also agree that it was a beautifully understated piece of highly intelligent film making too

i stand by my view that it is a truly great film. Regardless of the subject.

I went to see The Revenant on Monday evening, I thought it was bleak but also beautiful in parts, some of the photography in the film was outstanding. I thought the ending was a tad disappointing. Di Caprio was good but I also thought Tom Hardy was a great supporting actor. Although it's a lengthy film I didn't feel like it dragged at all. For me it's also one to see at the cinema rather than a home TV.

I have just been to see Deadpool tonight with very little knowledge of the character beforehand. I enjoyed it but it's crass, one liners and quite bloody and gory at times. It's a 15 rating which is understandable and the storyline is quite thin but it doesn't take itself too seriously, lots of talking to the camera/audience which some will like and others will hate. I hope to see Concussion over the weekend and then Triple 9 next week.

Just seen Deadpool, agree 100%

Saw a bigger splash. Fiennes has to be seen and there are sme great directional touches

first class performances and riveting throughout.

Last edited:
A lot on list I haven't seen unfortunately. I would never have that self regarding tit as best actor ever. The one stand out for me would be Charlotte Rampling in 45 years. That was a masterclass of pitch perfect performance

BAFTAs tonight then - from you who have seen the films opinions, are they right putting Di Caprio down as best actor already?

Yes Trudi, having seen the film twice. Would have though that Tom Hardy is a shoo in for best supporting too. Although Benicio Del Toro in Sicario is another who was outstanding.

Back