Films

Just listening to the guy on radio 2, he was saying that idris Elba's film was only out on Netflix so it's likely that it would have been totally ignored at the oscars ( they were talking about the race thing) because of that - I love him, he's a very clever man and seems to be able to do anything he turns his hand to - I hope he wins the supporting bafta.

I really need to start going to the cinema more - I quite like the sound of the Leo one, but the guy was saying definitely see it in the cinema because it needs the big screen to have all the impact....

Finally got to watch The Revenant last night. I thought both the performances, the story and the cinematography were all excellent. It definitely didn't feel like a two and a half hour movie and I completely agree with previous comments that it's one best watched at the cinema. It's strange that this film will finally be the one that gets DiCaprio his Oscar because his lines could probably fit on one side of A4. I actually think Hardy's character had a bit more to go at and I found his performance better as a result. He'd be wasted as the next Bond.

Entourage -The Movie-another one that does what it says on the tin.
Spotlight-had to walk away half way through-just wasn't in the frame of mind to be watching it.

good stuff but wouldn't you also agree that it was a beautifully understated piece of highly intelligent film making too

Yes, definitely. I think the understated part probably led to people saying it was a straight to DVD type film but it wasn't all gloss and glitz and a film with that type of subject matter shouldn't be. It only stayed on at my local cinema for about a week so glad I caught it.

Yes Trudi, having seen the film twice. Would have though that Tom Hardy is a shoo in for best supporting too. Although Benicio Del Toro in Sicario is another who was outstanding.

I'm surprised Stallone is odds on for best supporting actor at the Oscars. The guy from Bridge Of Spies won the Bafta and I'd personally have given it to Tom Hardy for The Revenant. Not sure if kids are allowed for this award but the child actor in Room was fantastic and should be rewarded in some way for such a performance.

Best film, director and actor are all long odds on and I can't see many shocks at the awards. Mad Max is 5/4 William Hill for Best Costume which is worth a bet and I could see The Revenant winning best make up at 10/3 although Mad Max is 1-5 fav to do so.

I went to see Concussion on Wednesday night and thought it was very good, also thought Will Smith was great in it too. Quite slow moving at times but interesting storyline and I wonder how close it is to the "true story" it's based on, knowing how America like to change the truth to suit them. One lad walked out about 2/3 into the film, ranting that it was bullshit and just like boxers getting head injuries.

I really need to start going to the cinema more - I quite like the sound of the Leo one, but the guy was saying definitely see it in the cinema because it needs the big screen to have all the impact....

I might have mentioned it before but Cineworld do an Unlimited pass for the cinema. It's £16.90 a month but it's Unlimited films at any time. It also includes special screenings only available to Unlimited card holders and for the first year you get 10% off food and drink. After 12 months it becomes 25% off food and drink. Bear in mind it's about £8-£9 these days for one film. If you only manage to see 2 films a month it's paid for itself. I've done 3 films in a row after work on a Friday when able to time them right. I've had my card about 3 years now, think I did around 55 + films in the first year.

Went to see 2 films yesterday. Grimsby was crass, vulgar and quite funny in parts. It's not going to win any awards and the storyline is as thin as Donald Trumps candy floss hair. Not for the easily offended or easily grossed out. The scene making all the fuss is Nobby and his brother hiding inside the uterus of an elephant and having to help toss off another elephant, ugh, gross but funny too. If you like stuff like The Inbetweeners this is probably for you.
I then went to see Triple 9, not a bad film, nothing we haven't seen before. Reviews mentioned a few twists but they weren't all that. I like Casey Affleck who stars in this film, thought he was very good in Gone Baby Gone and it's a matter of time before he lands some bigger roles in my opinion. This is about a bank heist to secure some documents and files for a Russian mafia guy and his wife where bent cops are involved in holding up the bank. They then have to do "one last job" but need to buy some time so they pull a "triple 9" which means cop down and all resources get diverted there, giving them time to do over a vault. (In England this is called a Code 0 where all resources attend when a colleague is in trouble) Not a bad film, about 7/10. I'd give Grimsby about 6/10 but wouldn't be in a rush to see it again.

Just back from seeing a couple.
Triple 9, really enjoyed it, agree with Mowgil about Casey Affleck. Thought Kate Winslett's cameo was also worth a mention.
Also saw The Finest Hours which is based on a true story, set in the 50's about the largest coastguard rescue in US history, bizarrely this also starred Casey Affleck, and is also very good.

Last edited:
I'm surprised Stallone is odds on for best supporting actor at the Oscars. The guy from Bridge Of Spies won the Bafta and I'd personally have given it to Tom Hardy for The Revenant. Not sure if kids are allowed for this award but the child actor in Room was fantastic and should be rewarded in some way for such a performance.

Best film, director and actor are all long odds on and I can't see many shocks at the awards. Mad Max is 5/4 William Hill for Best Costume which is worth a bet and I could see The Revenant winning best make up at 10/3 although Mad Max is 1-5 fav to do so.

I went to see Concussion on Wednesday night and thought it was very good, also thought Will Smith was great in it too. Quite slow moving at times but interesting storyline and I wonder how close it is to the "true story" it's based on, knowing how America like to change the truth to suit them. One lad walked out about 2/3 into the film, ranting that it was bullshit and just like boxers getting head injuries.

Just looked at the betting here, Stallone is 2/7 and Tom Hardy 12/1, looks all wrong to me, in fact i've just backed Hardy.

Last edited:
Delighted that Spotlight got Best Film. I hope Tanlic didn't lose too much on the cast iron cert of "Bear Shitting In Woods"

Just looked at the betting here, Stallone is 2/7 and Tom Hardy 12/1, looks all wrong to me, in fact i've just backed Hardy.
Spot-on with the first part, Tiggs. Close on the second part, but good call nonetheless.
A Lay on Stallone at 1.30 now looks to have been the shrewd bet ............ in hindsight, of course. :)

Just listening to the guy on radio 2, he was saying that idris Elba's film was only out on Netflix so it's likely that it would have been totally ignored at the oscars ( they were talking about the race thing) because of that - I love him, he's a very clever man and seems to be able to do anything he turns his hand to - I hope he wins the supporting bafta.

and you want some BBC.

Had a feeling Mark Rylance would win best supporting actor over Stallone. Bet365 were offering 4/5 on a 4 timer of Di Caprio, Larson, Stallone and Vikander or 9-2 on Di Caprio, Larson, Rylance and Vikander. I saw it last night and I was tempted to have a bet on it as 3 of them were nailed on, it was best supporting actor I was unsure of. The 5/4 Best Costume for Mad Max came good. I expected Star Wars to win best effects but I haven't seen Ex Machina so was unsure of that one. The good thing with the Oscars just being on is that Spotlight and Room are having another short run at the local cinema, might go see one or both again.

Just mentioned the 4 timer that was available, bearing in mind Leo was about 1-25 odds on and I think Brie Larson was long odds on too, maybe 1-7 or something. Surprised Spotlight won best film (although it deserved it) but there is often a political slant with the winner, look at 12 years a slave the other year. All we need now is the VIP Paedo ring to be fully exposed but I won't hold my breath, files going missing, people silenced or killed, it stinks. Loads of poor sods routinely abused with little chance of any justice as the whole system is corrupt from top down.

The remake is out this week of The Secrets In Their Eyes but not on at my local Cineworld. Reviews are so-so, not as good as the original but then most remakes aren't. I've got the original on DVD and it's brilliant and well worth a watch.

Saw A girl is a half formed thing at the young vic. Totally sold out there but think it's touring after this. A truly unforgettable solo performance

also saw the Connection on Netflix. French drugs gangster film set in the 80s. No great orginal plot but very well played and nicely put together. Like all the best films in this genre it doesn't overdo the violence (the awful scarf ace springs to mind) and is character driven

cant make up mind about hail ceaser. For me the coens are best when not doing humour. It looks a little like it could be a bit indulgent and flimsy

Have you ever seen 'Le Cop', clivex?

Noir about a corrupt French policeman who tries to subvert his young, newly-assigned, partner, which starts to get out-of-hand. I reckon you'd like it - very under-stated.

Years ago. Great laugh. Really enjoyable .All he wanted to was get bets on. Must admit would like to see it again.

Back