Films

Which one am I in? Loved The Big Lebowski, Fargo, No Country, O Brother, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, Burn After Reading.

But Millers Crossing, Barton Fink, The Hudsucker Proxy and The Man..... were all a bit meh, for me.

Did anybody get to see " Secretariat " ? Apparently it came out in British cinemas on 4th Dec. & only lasted a week !!!!

Yes, me and about four other people in the same showing so perhaps not that popular. It was ok, nothing too taxing on the old brain and I'd say worth watching if it comes on the tv. He was before my time really so I didn't know an awful lot about the story behind him. I'd say if you liked Seabiscuit you'd probably like it

Last edited:
Tracks: I've been near to watching Boy in the Striped PJs, but I'm sure he must die in the end, and that's what has put me off. The Holocaust is dreadful enough to make me tearful, even reading about it, let alone seeing real or fictional film. Sophie's Choice and Schindler's List - stunning stories, but Sophie's just smacks you round the head with the sheer sadism behind the innocent-sounding title.

I watched BITSP a while ago and have to say thought it was very disappointing, very predictable and personally I wasn't that moved by it. I can't quite put my finger on why as I found a visit to the Holocaust museum really upsetting. Maybe the ending was just too obvious.

Last edited:
I cant get into the Cohn brothers films for some reason. Enjoyed No country and tio an extent Fargo, but always find it hard to connect with either the characters or whats going on.

Watchable. Certainly made me jump a few times, but struggled with understanding what was really going on and what was in her imagination. Gave a great awareness into what it's like to be a dancer [drew a lot of comparissons with being a jockey, I thought; constant weight problems etc]. However, thought it would be a lot more subtle. Perhaps suffering from 'The Wrestler' syndrome where I expected far too much from it.

I don't think I've had higher expectations of a film for months. Certainly lived up to them for me. I would rate it better than both Pi and even Requiem For A Dream after my first impression.

Portman was stupendously good, Kunis very good and even though I prefer Cassel in his native language, he is a master of his trade.

Clint Mansell's soundtrack? Oscar bound.

Lately I have watched quite a few films...

The American - beautifully shot but it showed that it was by a videographer as there were no characters in the film.
The Ghost - my god what an awful film. The end was like it was dreamt up by Holllywood producers. I thought Polanski was meant to be good?
Paris - (for the nth time). Brilliant, cliche but beautifully shot, and nice intertwining vignettes.
In the Air - watchable if you are hungover but typical of most american films in that there is little depth, even less subtlety and everything needs to be signposted.
The Heartbreaker - awful, only watched it for Duris. Lets hope this is one of the few times he gets the urge to stray into romcoms.
Three colours white - for the 20th time. A classic, and I can't imagine a film can have a better score.
Belle du jour - very good, really well shot and interesting musings on bourgeois life.

I have Three Colours blue (have seen before), the Diving Bell and the Butterfly and Wall Street to watch in the coming days.

I am also starting to develop an interest in Eric Rohmer - anyone a fan?

True Grit should indeed be very good.

Phillip French didn't like it.

I think that a lot of people won't like it. I read Philip French's review though and agree with the commenter who suggests he seems disappointed that the film isn't the film he was expecting, rather than simply reviewing the film.

Two film critics I always respect and Matt Bochenski and Andrew O'Hehir. One loved it, the other less so.

It is one of those films I think.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly was on telly the other week; I decided not to watch it, this 'trapped in body' syndrome being the thing of nightmares; however, I sort of turned it on and sort of half watched it for a while [bit like a child watching Dr Who from behind the sofa] and realised that I wanted to see the whole film. Have never seen Requiem for a Dream, so it will be good to get a feel for other things that the director has done. I've spent the past couple of weeks trying to watch Runnin Down a Dream, the Tom Petty film. It was on BBC4, but I didn't realise it was 4 hours long so, thankfully, was able to borrow it from my son in law and watch it in my own time. I think, if ever I'm on Mastermind, Tom Petty will be my chosen subject. [Oh; The Ghost..utter drivel; saw it at the cinema.wanted to walk out...]

Last edited:
I also watched Inglourious again this weekend. I've had Cat People by David Bowie in my head ever since. Cat People, now there's an interesting film...

Very subjective, isn't it; film watching. I lent my son in law Splice, which I thought was fairly decent and worth look. He thought it was rubbish.

Do you like reading his column? I find he tends to drift around here and there a bit, sometimes spending much too long puttig a film in context.

I dont. Agree with that. Also hes very political and the lefter the better, regardless of quality of film.

Not sure where his sense of humour lies too (like most on the left probably doesnt have one). Reemeber his review of the wonderful Sideways in which he picked out the most "most hilarious" scenes, which were nothing of the sort. dunno why that stuck with me but i remeber thinkinbg "what??"

Oscar Nominations out today, looks like the Social Network and The King's Speech will wipe the floor there.

Saw 127 Hours last week and thought it was excellent, could have easily been a boring dragging film until the inevitable moment but in a similar way to Slumdog Millionaire, Boyle really kept the viewer up with the pace until the gory but satisfying conclusion.

Also watched Black Swan last night and definitely reckon it's a film that needs a couple of viewings as I found sections a bit weird (appreciate she descends into madness!) and it had some clumsy links between the scenes. Good but not great after the first viewing.

I've heard there's a bit of backbiting in the States about the Royal family and anti semitism etc. Hope this isn't the case; I haven't seen The Kings Speech yet, but , from what I've seen trailer wise, Colin Firth deserves to win the Oscar [although bit concerned about the guy in that foreign film 'Biutiful'..trailer looked pretty amazing]. As for best actress, I'm hoping Jennifer Lawrence wins for Winters Bone; probably the best film I saw last year and a truly mesmerising performance. Toy Story 3 for best film, perhaps [doing a Lord of the Rings part 3 thingy].

Backbiting from the US about anti-Semitism? From the land of the free (leaving out the nasty bits about displacing native Americans and slavery), which turned back a boatload of desperate Jews trying to avoid the gas chambers? Which bunged its own people of Japanese descent into concentration camps during WWII? Shurely shome mistake!

Saw The King's Speech last week and thought it an excellent film - well worth seeing.

Dontcha just love the so-called Land of the Free's attitude.. !

The Oscars is generally for films Americans find easy to understand; those films generally have a linear beginning-middle-end structure; dialogue that leaves nothing which can be misconstrued; music which ensures the audience definitely feel the building of tension (they may not get there alone); subtlety is banned; as are unresolved parts of a film (ending must ensure audience leave with no questions in their 'heads'); film should make people feel warm inside/better about themselves and not challenge accepted ideas; ideally be about a historic figure and be biased so as not to disturb the feel-good factor; the actors should all have shiny white teeth and perfect smiles - in general, good films need not apply.

I however think it's all a farce.

Last edited:
Back