First Season Sires 2019

No scores on the door today. In fact not one of the Brocklesby horses was sired by a FSS. Showcasing gets the first 2yo winner of the season.

Brazen Beau opened his account yesterday in the 2.15 at Musselburgh (Proper Beau) and 15 minutes later Electric Ladyland got Cable Bay off the mark at Lingfield.

a 6 length win by the unlikely named filly Lady Kermit seems to have attracted some 2yo watchers. She's by Starspangledbanner, who seems unfortunate in the potency area but a very capable sire. Obviously early days but this Archie Watson trained filly seems the first one to watch.

Leading First-Season Sire
Number of individual winners Britain Ireland
March 24-November 29, 2019
(Determined by official Racing Post stats)

RaceBets 11-4 Muhaarar, 7-2 Gutaifan, 6 Gleneagles, 7 Brazen Beau, 9 Night Of Thunder, 10 Hot Streak, 12 Ivawood, 16 Anjaal, 18 Make Believe, 20 Cable Bay, 25 Outstrip, 28 Free Eagle, 40 Due Diligence, Golden Horn, Hallowed Crown, 66 Cappella Sansevero, Fountain Of Youth
Win only

From Racing Post 22nd March 2019

Last edited:
Gleneagles gets off the mark with Paul Cole's Highland Chief in the first at Newbury. Nicely bred, out of a Montjeu mare whose granddam was that good 2yo Blue Duster.

A while since Paul Cole had one out so early I would have thought.
She must have been burning the place up.

Didn't he have Berkshire a few years back, who started in May and went on to win at Royal Ascot? Of course his best ever horse started fairly early (believe the early May Ascot meeting).
American Pharoah's first European runner Monarch of Egypt does all that's needed on his debut at Naas: Coventry bound?

Ultimately won in style but I was doubting him after a couple of furlongs -is he really a turf horse.He is guaranteed to be overhyped because of his breeding and connections and I will be looking to take him on next time out.

This colt traces back to Joe McGrath's fine filly Silken Glider (Irish Oaks, 2nd Oaks). But the bottom line features a lot of 2nd/3rd Division sires such as Hill Gail, Captain James, Drumalis and Spectrum mated to Silken Glider and her descendents. Then the dancing card got an uptick with Galileo.

Nasrullah was swapped for Hill Gail in the early 1950s, not McGrath's best moment.
Easy of course to be critical at this remove.
It just shows James Delahooke's theory of mating Grade 1 families with the best stallion blood you can buy to rejuvenate the family.

A while since Paul Cole had one out so early I would have thought.
She must have been burning the place up.

I think you introduce an interesting point here and that is how early the best 2yos begin. I'm of the opinion that one shouldn't hold against the early appearing 2yos as if they are being rushed as they are not likely to last long. AOB is a prime example of a trainer who is not afraid to get good horses out early. This Monarch of Egypt may be the latest (we'll see) but George Washington made his debut at the Guineas meeting. There are plenty of other examples and plenty of other trainers (Bolger and Dawn Approach).
I remember in 1971 Dick Hern running his 2nd best miler (if you discount Nashwan) at this very same Newbury meeting. Sallust ran down the field but was obviously useful as his 2nd start was the Windsor Castle for which he started favourite and finished 4th. As a 3yo he saw off High Top and Lyphard to end up the Champion European 3yo Miler.
I think AOB is sensible to get them out when they are ready, and it doesn't seem to the detriment of the horse.

King of Kings was out early,Dawn Approach won the first two year old race of the season.Generous and Doctor Devious both finished second in a Coventry -Chief Singer won a Coventry-Thunder Snow was unplaced in a Coventry.

Archie Watson's bright start continues. Lady Kermit took her second race a couple of days ago and today his Electric Ladyland also doubled up giving FSS Cable Bay another winner.

Richard Hannon finally got off the mark at Nottingham with Temple of Heaven.

Great thing with first season sires no one has too much of a clue until they run which prompts me to be place laying a lot of these very short priced favs as there's bound to be many many surprises again this season

Last edited:
In a moment of weakness I watched a few Bell gallops. On little evidence I’ll be interested in the debut of Maxi Boy.

Coolmore's Ivawood has his first winner with Iva Go winning at Beverly and just over a half an hour later Baileys in Bloom gives Supplicant his first win.

Meanwhile AOB looks to have another fast 2yo in the War Front colt Pistoletto, who easily won on his debut at Tipperary.

Last edited:
Ivawood doubles his score when Iva Reflection goes in for Dacombe at Doncaster. Somehow I'm expecting a lot of Ivas this season!

Cole's Highland Chief has his form franked by the 3rd in his race, Chatanooga Boy getting home (just) at Leicester.

After timing probably but on a course at the National Stud in late 2017, a well known bloodstock agent was asked which young stallion he liked the look of/thought could be a success at stud? Brazen Beau was the one he nominated. Also thought that his youngsters, at the time, would slip under the Radar because of him being Australian bred etc and not be expensive.

Two FSS winners today. Silver Start (Hills) gives Cable Bay another win, while the 'big number of foals' FSS Gutaifan at last gets off the mark with Kidda's (Fahey) win at Pontefract.

Fahey also supplied the 20-1 winner Ventura Rebel who turned over Wesley Ward's 4-11 fav Lady Penelope at Ascot.

Last edited:
Back