First Season Sires

Thanks for trhe update Spoons - but what about the Refuse To Bend??
Really interested in his this year. He was a good 2yr old as well

I see Reset got a winner over night (in Australia) at Newcastle? It looks like he might be better suited to the UK than Australia, with the softer tracks.

Reset's conformation is typical of the worst sort of modern speedy thoroughbred - muscular body with spindly, funnily-shaped forelegs. No wonder he only made it to the track 5 times.

After the favourite, by Kheylef, refused to enter the stalls! Does this Coolmore-Darley-thing reach as far as Beverly ? :suspect:

One Cool Cat 6-21
Kheleyf 4-17
Deportivo 2-15
Lucky Story 2-8
Elusive City 2-9
Exceed and Excel 2-9
Monsieur Bond 2-13

Deportivo only has about 27 runners this season, if that so I am interested that he has had 2 winners, and I think 3-4 places also. We bought a mare in foal to him and I went to see him to see what he was like, having not noticed him when he was racing. I liked him a lot, and he did a gallop round his paddock that scared the s__t out of me just to prove he could do it!

I don't expect him to be at the top of this, but seems to be doing okay for such a cheaply priced stallion.

Anyone know how to find out which trainers have one of his?

Spoons, your info is really interesting, thanks for sharing! :)

Falbrav is now within striking distance of winning the Australian First Season Sires Title for 2007/2008 over Exceed and Excel. Fravashi won todays Group 2 QTC Sires Produce Stakes with downright ease, and now is the odds on favourite to take out the Queensland 2YO quinella, with the Group 1 TJ Smith Stakes to come.

However to make the situation more complicated, Fravashi is one of the many new horses Darley acquired from the Woodlands purchase.

So the question is, will Darley race their horse who looks an absolute shoe in for the TJ Smith Stakes and boost his stallion credentials, or will they put their current boom sire, Exceed and Excel's career ahead of the rest so he can win the First Season Sires title?

I personally hope they race Fravashi, but knowing that Darley really wants to win a sires title in Australia, am convinced they will put nothing on the line to get that elusive prize.

Don't know how the Japanese crop are going, but would be interested to also know.

I have a lot of time for the horse, who now has two very solid Group 2 winners in his first crop. Brava Fortune is the number one 2YO in WA and if she heads to Melbourne in the spring, will be hard to beat in a race like the 1000 Guineas. Fravashi is looking like he will make the grade as a spring classic contender, a race like the Caulfield Guineas will be totally up his alley.

From the Racing Post

KHELEYF is the new leader of Cashmans' first-season sire market, after the son of Green Desert gained his tenth individual winner on Thursday.

He takes over from Exceed And Excel, who in turn unseated One Cool Cat at the head of the betting on the stallion who has the most first-crop individual winners in Britain and Ireland during the Flat season, ending on November 8.

Leading first-season sire
Cashmans: 11-8 Kheleyf, 13-8 Exceed And Excel, 5-2 One Cool Cat, 12 Elusive City, Refuse To Bend, 16 Lucky Story, 20 Haafhd, 25 Pyrus, 40 Falbrav, Monsieur Bond, 50 Bachelor Duke, 100 bar.

Bump

Good start for first-season sire Dark Angel, even if Tough As Nails was demoted.

Dark Angel, trained by Barrington Hills, won the Middle Park and didn't run after his first season.

I'm hoping Cockney Rebel can produce a few good ones although I have no idea how many mares he covered so not sure if he's worth a bet or not.

Two stallions who have been put forward as likely First Season champion sires have runners today.

Amadeus Wolf has Nannerl running for him in the Wolverhampton 6.00 and Dark Angel has Night Angel in the Lingfield 2.30.

Shoulda backed him - the VP of my last job's dept. in Saudi was called Hamza. Really nice chap, Lebanese Druze, GSOH, liked to party, too.

Back