First Season Sires.

Danny, to start you off; the market that the bookies puts up is on the most number of wins the progeny of a FSS achieve.

I believe it covers the period of the full flat turf season including any winners on the A.W. in Britain and Ireland.

Success by his progeny will definitely increase the value of the stallion but that success is more likely to be judged on quality rather than quantity and I'm not sure that would be that much kudos to being the top first season sire.

The fact that they don't advertise the covering fees for the super stallions and you only get "price on application" tells you all you need to know.

How bad a horse can become a stallion? Good question! If you look towards the start of this thread you will find that I put up a list of FSS and Eleanor Duse came up with figures for the number of coverings. You may find the answer there.

My memory and my interest in the breeding side don't go back that far but someone else might come up with an answer.

I hope that is of some help.

I'd read through Col, the list of 40ish horses you put up aren't all of the first season sires are they ? There would surely be more than that. Is that just a list of horses that have produced a certain amount of offspring that could be considered contenders for being the best this year. I know these must seem like really basic questions but I have literally never took any notice of 2yo's other than possibly the big races which effect the next seasons classics but I certainly have never looked at the breeding side.

I've noted trainers or owners saying they've bred this one their selves like with Micheal Owen and Brown Panther or the Bradstocks (did they breed Coneygree) but I just imagine they just let two horses at it behind the barn. I'm thinking that Coolmore probably doesn't operate in this manner.

Last edited:
Danny, life is full of surprises and so is the FSS title.
Check back on the sterling work Colin has done here the last few years and you will get an inkling of how it works and surprises therein.
Take New Approach, top two year old 2007 and Derby winner and dual 2000 Gns runner up; a big horse who improved with age and racing and not the most likely Champion FSS yet he got first two year old winner of the season, Dawn Approach, had three Royal Ascot winners from that crop and carried all before him that year with Dawn Approach top two year old.( uniquely winning opening flat race, at Royal Ascot and later Dewhurst and 2000 Guineas)
Then last year was Dawn Approach's first crop; no winner before mid summer and less than 10 winners by year's end.Disappointing but ....
His stock have taken time to come to themselves and this season those three year olds have hit the ground running, with a Classic prospect or two lurking.
Sixties Icon 's first crop two year old success was a major surprise for a St Leger winner but his connections reckoned a Group 1 winning son of Galileo was worth supporting and so it proved.
Cape Cross, Indian Ridge, Kodiac, Danehill Dancer , Siyouni are among the sires whose stud fees rose exponentially from first advertised rate to where they ended up through first crop success continuing through later crops from better bred mates.
Keep an eye on this thread as Colin does trojan work here and Eleanora Duse among others educate the rest of us by sharing their wisdom and experience.
Enjoy the season all the more as a result.

Recent first season sire winners:

Friday
Newbury - The Paddocks for CHARM SPIRIT

Yesterday
Newbury - The Irish Rover (NO NAY NEVER)
Doncaster - Victory Command (WAR COMMAND)

Current table by wins:

(Figures in brackets Paddy Power prices available at start of season)

NO NAY NEVER (4/!) 5 wins
BUNGLE INTHEJUNGLE (25/1) 5
CHARM SPIRIT (12/1) 3
KUROSHIO (not quoted) 3
GREGORIAN (nq) 2
MORPHEUS (14/1) 2
HEERAAT (25/1) 1
MUKHADRAM (25/1) 1
SLADE POWER (14/1) 1
WAR COMMANDER (16/1) 1

Fancied ones that have yet to get off the mark:

KINGMAN (9/4) 0/2