Flat horses to note for the season

jinnyj

Senior Jockey
Just thought I’d start a thread to add horses to for the Flat season. Love this time of year when horses emerge and show whether they have progressed over the winter.

Canberra Star
Lovely big striding colt who did well to take the Fielden when coping with getting unbalanced. He’s going to be better over further again, but he doesn’t look the type to cope with Epsom

Orazio
A four year old who’s been off a fair amount of time but won well and is built like a proper sprinter. Reportedly to be aimed for the Wokingham.

Last edited:
Might have to add Mama’s Girl to that. Made up a lot of ground and the pace didn’t collapse.

Placed horse from earlier too...Lion Kingdom showed a nice attitude despite not having the clearest run.

Might have to add Mama’s Girl to that. Made up a lot of ground and the pace didn’t collapse.

Placed horse from earlier too...Lion Kingdom showed a nice attitude despite not having the clearest run.
Great to see a new thread for this.
Imo, there's a strong suggestion the pace did collapse in the Nell Gwynne (as it did in most of the earlier races). A horse doesn't generally sit out the back, then pass the whole field without one.
For mine,8/1 for the 1,000 Guineas is a no-no, on both form and pedigree.
Secret Angel's the one I'd take from the race,up with the pace throughout, she kept on well, considering and looks capable of winning a pattern race, eventually.

Last edited:
Secret Angel's the one I'd take from the race,up with the pace throughout, she kept on well, considering and looks capable of winning a pattern race, eventually.

Agree, in part because I don't rate Godolphin with fillies. The opening handicap was similar pace wise and I like Lion Kingdom going forward from that race.

Thought Dancing Magic was the best maiden colt last season and looks overpriced in tomorrows Craven around 20-1

Theoryofeverything looked pretty impressive at Doncaster and looks interesting in the Greenham on Saturday.
Similarly Ehraz ran well at Doncaster when Hannon said he didn’t have him tight and he goes in the Abernant tomorrow.

That 6f 3yo handicap that's just been run - Creative Force, Jumby, Rohaan, Harry Three have run in it the last couple of years. I thought Pinafore and Yacowlef were the ones to take from it.

Passenger
From the Woodditton...he was hollering in the prelims, moved beautifully to post....completely unmentioned by the “paddock expert” but he looks nice and Kathab ran OK too.

Passenger
From the Woodditton...he was hollering in the prelims, moved beautifully to post....completely unmentioned by the “paddock expert” but he looks nice and Kathab ran OK too.

Kathab hated the Dip. I must confess I rarely bother with maidens and have no idea the percentage of placed Wood Ditton horses that end up in the handicap sphere but I'd like to imagine Kathab eating the turf at Sandown or Ascot. Nick Mordin always used to go on about the Wood Ditton a lot, can't remember why.

Last edited:
Once More For Luck benefitted for being dropped out off a strong pace in the opener, and though it's a hefty rise in class, could surprise in the Clipper Logistics on York's sharper track.

These early races can be very misleading and seldom do the impressive winners actually reproduce anything as good in the classic.

However Mama's Girl was beyond imressive and that makes me think she is one exceptional filly and we may well have seen the 1000 Guineas winner.

Last edited:
Kathab hated the Dip. I must confess I rarely bother with maidens and have no idea the percentage of placed Wood Ditton horses that end up in the handicap sphere but I'd like to imagine Kathab eating the turf at Sandown or Ascot. Nick Mordin always used to go on about the Wood Ditton a lot, can't remember why.

Yes I agree with that about Kathab and he had quite a babyish action.
Traditionally the Woodditton always threw up a nice one in the old days as they were often those horses left to mature but it doesn’t seem to have done so recently....until today maybe?

And it’s interesting to see how forward Stoute seems to have his horses as he had another winner on the card later.

These early races can be very misleading and seldom do the impressive winners actually reproduce anything as good in the classic.

However Mama's Girl was beyond imressive and that makes me think she is one exceptional filly and we may well have seen the 1000 Guineas winner.

Again completely agree and it all depends how far forward a trainer has their horses. Quite possibly because we have had a decent amount of rain but not so much the grass gallops haven’t been open, trainers have got more work into their horses on the grass than usual. It’s unlike Stoute to have his this far forward though and Passenger surprised me...it was the reason I backed Kathab instead even though physically I really liked Passenger.

Ordinarily these big price winners are flash in the pans but it’s always unwise to ignore a Hannon horse that produces a performance like that. She is a decent size and looks progressive physically too.

Imo,Hannon invariably thinks his geese are swans, and I'd bet good money against her in the Guineas.

A horse I think can win a 10f hcap is WARNING SIGN.trained by G.Moore.
Came from France.caught my eye last year and again ran on well in the silver Lincoln.
Runs tomorrow 455 newbury.Tom Queally rides.
Whether or not he wins tomorrow I believe it will win one.

REMARQUEE was green and running away and Richard Hannon's filly lent on her for a bit. She doesn't know very much, but she'll know a lot more after today and we'll certainly go to Newmarket. Her mother wanted fast ground, so maybe it's she handles this ground, but I don't see fast ground being a problem. I think she's very good and she has to go the Guineas on the back of that - Ralph Beckett, trainer.

See Hugh Taylor was on the ball with this one, tipping it yesterday, and at 150/1 for the Guineas.
Wonder if he'd like to join our forum? :)

I'm a little surprised honestly as I always thought Hugh mainly dealt with gaff/aw type stuff. I think the Ballydoyle filly will be hard to beat but Remarquee is a bigger price than the Nell Gwyn winner and a Godolphin filly which can't be right. Happy to settle for a bit on at 8s at this stage.

Back