Flat horses to note for the season

Found a fair few horses to follow from the Craven meeting which I've just re-watched. The theme for the whole week was a beefy headwind which really aided those held up. The race that epitomised that was the Abernant where Jumby who lost must have been half a dozen lengths at the start powered home and was beaten less than three lengths. Funnily enough he was also slowly away when he ran against Creative Force here two years ago in the 6f handicap (Rohaan was also in that).

6f handicap wed. There are a lot of winners this week that are tracker worthy in terms of how far they won a race and when they took the lead but I'm not gonna track them because they were held up. Orazio was one of these and Admiral D, an old friend from last year, another who was held up but he was untidy at the start and had to be switched a couple of times before powering home. He's becoming well handicapped.

8f handicap (3yo) wed. The front two in this were detached from the main field but both powered through and both look nice types but again, they had to have been flattered. I thought the Fanshawe trained fourth Lion Kingdom was the one to take from this race. Unlike some of the others in and around him he was having his first run of the season and didn't enjoy a clear passage. Yes he was held up just in front of the first and second but he had to be switched a couple of times.

10f handicap (3yo) wed. Like a Tiger won this very nicely despite losing ground at the start and I think he's likely a group horse. The interesting ones from a tracker point of view are the second and third Regal Empire and Shahbaz. Both jockeys went for home a tad early and couldn't cope with the winner. Shahbaz was right at the front of the race and the way he kept on and repelled the horses behind him was impressive considering the headwind. He'll stay 12f and Charlie Fellowes is going the right way as a handler.

7f handicap (3yo) thurs. I get the feeling the wind was at it's strongest on thurs. This race you had Monopolise leading with the eventual 2nd,3rd and 4th all just in behind but certainly in the teeth of the headwind. The winner Harry Magnus was behind this wall of three horses and certainly benefited from that. I've put all three - Havana Blue (Cox) Chartwell House (Knight) and Nogo's Dream (Hughes) in my tracker. I was tempted by Monopolise as well but Ed Walker trains and I'm not keen. He ran a smasher though given the way the race was run.

6s handicap (3yo) thur. This race has been a rich source of talent the last couple of years. As mentioned earlier Creative Force/Jumby and Rohaan ran in it two years ago and Harry Three was placed last year. The winner dwelt at the start and was held up so I'm ignoring him. Yacowlef and Pinafore the second and fourth are the ones to take from it. Both were in the van after a couple of furlongs and the former struck me as the type to maybe step up to 7f. Pinafore was prominent throughout and did well to finish as close as she did. Being trained by Haggas is a plus also naturally. The top weight ran well to finish third but there's not a lot of mileage in that ones mark.

That's it then. I think the Craven is one of the most interesting meetings of the year and I always pick up a bunch of tracker horses from it.

Last edited:
That’s an interesting bunch and I’m working my way through them, Euro. Already had Pinafore noted together with:

Final Watch, 2:25 Tuesday, had a really slow start and came on strongly from way back to finish 4th. Ran off 89

Covey, 4:10 Tuesday, who I thought won very nicely without needing to extend himself much.

Cuban Thunder,, 4:45 Tuesday, was well backed, but was slowly away and ran pretty green. Worth looking again over longer.

Spring Dawn, 4:10 Thursday, having missed the start she finished best of all to take second place. Will come on a bundle I would think.

Montassib was dropped in from his outside draw, and was out the back for much of the race. He did start to weave through the field and, though 2l behind the winner, was unlucky overall.
Compensation surely awaits.

Montassib was dropped in from his outside draw, and was out the back for much of the race. He did start to weave through the field and, though 2l behind the winner, was unlucky overall.
Compensation surely awaits.

Aye, didn’t get a clear run either.

Last edited:
Time Lock ​looked all over the winner at Goodwood in the Daisy Warwick before getting chinned late on by a fitter rival. Think next time she should win.

Big weekend ahead. Admiral D, Yacowlef, Havana Blue and Chartwell House are all declared to run tomorrow.

6s handicap (3yo) thur. This race has been a rich source of talent the last couple of years. As mentioned earlier Creative Force/Jumby and Rohaan ran in it two years ago and Harry Three was placed last year. The winner dwelt at the start and was held up so I'm ignoring him. Yacowlef and Pinafore the second and fourth are the ones to take from it. Both were in the van after a couple of furlongs and the former struck me as the type to maybe step up to 7f. Pinafore was prominent throughout and did well to finish as close as she did. Being trained by Haggas is a plus also naturally. The top weight ran well to finish third but there's not a lot of mileage in that ones mark.

Yacowlef's form boosted by Shouldvebeenairing who was the top weight mentioned above.

Last edited:
Faylaq on his first run for new yard (Jim Goldie) got stopped again and again at Hamilton behind Postilio and still finished second. Think he will definitely win next time out.

Knowing Goldie, he probably won't win next time out but he will win when Goldie wants him to!

I've watched the replay of the 1000G again this morning. Dance In The Grass (fifth 200/1) ran a really strange race, being not far off the pace early but losing significant ground around halfway before staying on again in the final two furlongs. Maybe she was running past non-stayers or fillies that weren't enjoying the ground but I've no doubt the Johnstons will find the right races for her. She has a very promising profile as far as the Oaks is concerned and is engaged in all the big G1s from 8f-12f so is clearly well regarded.

DANCE IN THE GRASS
ped_i.gif
(GB) ch. F, 2020 {11-c} DP = 1-2-7-5-1 (16) DI = 0.68 CD = -0.19

I'm having a nibble for the Oaks at 50s.

Thought I’d try and keep track of how the assembled might of Talking Horses get on with their picks. I’m putting them all in a tracker and will give them 3 starts to deliver. Will try and give advance notice of runners.

So far we have had 10 runs with 2 wins and 2 third places. (Could do better Mr Beasley :D)

Win Yacowlef 7/2
Win Covey 1/16 :eek:
3rd Dancing Magic 12/1
3rd Theoryofeverthing 6/1

Last edited:
St Vincent’s Garden was a promising debut 3rd in what is sometimes a decent 12f maiden at Leopardstown yesterday. He was very green early on but after some heavy hints from his jockey he made some nice ground on the outside coming into the straight. Unfortunately after all that organising he then had his moment slightly checked and was pushed wider than ideal (not mentioned in the RP analysis). He did well from there to make up some further late ground into third place. He is by owned by some of Joseph’s Australian owners and no doubt they’re hoping to see him in the Melbourne Cup some day.

Last edited:
10f handicap (3yo) wed. Like a Tiger won this very nicely despite losing ground at the start and I think he's likely a group horse. The interesting ones from a tracker point of view are the second and third Regal Empire and Shahbaz. Both jockeys went for home a tad early and couldn't cope with the winner. Shahbaz was right at the front of the race and the way he kept on and repelled the horses behind him was impressive considering the headwind. He'll stay 12f and Charlie Fellowes is going the right way as a handler.

This race's form was franked on Friday when Man of Eden was second in an 8f handicap at Goodwood. He wasn't positioned ideally on the rail but came through with a nice finishing effort and is interesting going forward. The third home Island Star I'm also tracking as his pedigree (New Approach out of a STS mare) suggests he'll only come into his own over 10f+ so this was a very good effort over an easy mile.

Regal Empire
is entered in the Edward VII at the Royal meeting which is not pleasing.

Last edited:
Imo, King Of Conquest ran a blinder, considering the ground.He won hs previous race in a course record time in Barhein, and with a step up in trip in the offing, he'll probably be a very good bet, including a likely raise in class.

Few horses to note from last week. Couple of Crystals caught my eye - Crystal Estrella was fourth in Emily Upjohn's breakout race last season at Sandown before winning her own novice at Goodwood. Off the track for a while after this she was down the field in a fillies handicap on the Rowley Mile in October where she wandered under pressure in the dip. She remains with Stoute which is a nice sign and ran well on her return at Brighton. A stiffer 10 or further will suit. Crystal Delight was moved out of Stoute's early last season had a wind op and ran in some 10f aw events late last year and early this for William Jarvis. His run in the opener at Newmarket on Saturday was his first try over a mile and a half on turf and against some tough and hardy rivals I was really impressed. The winner has progressed for Balding and could be a group horse.

Tacowlef's win on Saturday was my personal highlight of the weekend and he did really well to get home in first given the path Ryan took with him. He's only gone up 6lbs which is very fair and I think the second Striking Star and third Verdansk are also interesting going forward. The former for obvious reasons as he was only just beaten and it's hard to dismiss a Godolphin horse in these handicaps going forward and the latter unlike the 1st,2nd and 4th was having his debut run of the campaign and is under the care of Clive Cox and I love his work with sprinters.

Last edited:
Runners tomorrow:

THEORYOFEVERYTHING - (Chester, 14:05)
PASSENGER - (Chester, 14:40)

Runners tomorrow:

THEORYOFEVERYTHING - (Chester, 14:05)
PASSENGER - (Chester, 14:40)

Theoryofeverything - 7/4 Fav, finished plumb last and the stewards didn’t even raise an eyebrow
Passenger - non-runner

Orazio 4:10 Ascot tomorrow

Last edited:

Shahbaz runs tomorrow at Ascot. About 7/2 ish, well worth a bet. Regal Empire though, James Tate has decided to run him in the Derby Trial on the ******* all weather despite a nice mark of 89. What a nob.

Here’s all of them running tomorrow:

ST VINCENTS GARDEN - (Navan, 16:05)
Race: Irish Stallion Farms EBF Yeats Stakes (Listed)

ADMIRAL D - (Ascot, 14:40) Race: Peroni Nastro Azzurro Victoria Cup (Heritage Handicap)

REGAL EMPIRE - (Lingfield, 15:35) Race: Fitzdares Lingfield Derby Trial Stakes (Listed)

SECRET ANGEL - (Lingfield, 14:25) Race: Fitzdares Chartwell Fillies' Stakes (Fillies' And Mares' Group 3)

SHAHBAZ - (Ascot, 15:45) Race: Carey Group Handicap

Last edited:
Here’s all of them running tomorrow:

ST VINCENTS GARDEN - (Navan, 16:05)
Race: Irish Stallion Farms EBF Yeats Stakes (Listed)

ADMIRAL D - (Ascot, 14:40) Race: Peroni Nastro Azzurro Victoria Cup (Heritage Handicap)

REGAL EMPIRE - (Lingfield, 15:35) Race: Fitzdares Lingfield Derby Trial Stakes (Listed)

SECRET ANGEL - (Lingfield, 14:25) Race: Fitzdares Chartwell Fillies' Stakes (Fillies' And Mares' Group 3)

SHAHBAZ - (Ascot, 15:45) Race: Carey Group Handicap

Last
13/22
7/8
4/8
6/7

Well, one of them scraped into the top half of the field.

And for tomorrow:

AMERICAN FLAG - (ParisLongchamp, 14:50)
FAYLAQ - (Hamilton, 18:45)

I wouldn't be surprised if Faylaq doesn't win today. A defeat will take his last run's promise out of people's minds.

He owes me but 2/1 won't get near to paying me back.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Goldie has him in a treble with the two previous winners.

Back