For & Against

Guest_

At the Start
At Cheltenham at this stage...

For...

Cooldine in the SunAlliance Chase....horse is made for the test of this race and I think he will go off favourite on the day.

Against..

Punchestowns. Don't get me wrong I think he is a really exciting prospect but cannot help but think his inexperience and jumping might just catch him out on decent ground at Cheltenham. Lovely prospect for the future but I would have Kasbah Bliss ahead of him in the market at this stage.

I'll avoid the really really obvious one for me and go with a Paul Nicholls special

For - Free World in the Arkle. Think the form of his Sandown run with Araldur is pretty decent and always been very highly regarded

Against - Tatanen as I feel they've been making hay while the sun was shining, his run at Leopardstown wasn't that great and at the prices I fail to see why he's a quarter of the price of his stablemate.

For ; GONE TO LUNCH. McCoy has finally worked out the horse, who is now going from strength to strength and really enjoying his chasing. Jumps well, improving with every run, probably already good enough to win the RSA Chase if it was run tomorrow.

Against ; CALGARY BAY. Debating his best trip will be immaterial when he has to battle against anything willing to put up a fight. For all his cruising speed and fluid jumping ability, I expect him to be turned away by something that digs in.

Shouldn't Gone To Lunch be going for the Gold Cup instead this year, Goobs?!

For - Diamond Harry (in whichever race he goes for, probably the RSA hurdle as of now). It's frightening really how easily he's brushed off any opposition to date.

Against - well, I was going to put Golan Way, but no-one seriously thinks it's got much hope in any race at the Festival anyway. So I'll go for Breedsbreeze in the RSA, I'm just not entirely convinced by the animal for some reason.

For:

Tharawaat if allowed bowl along on soft ground is the bet of the year at 20s in the Triumph.

Against:

Denman, Binocular.

For: Walkon and Binocular.

The former has every chance of reversing form with Zaynar on decent ground at Cheltenham and is still a value price. The latter is different gravy to every 2mile hurdler since Istabraq. Cert.

Against:

Denman.

For: Jayo

Against: Kauto Star

Interesting, I condsidered the very same although kauto looked in fine fettle at Kempton I do have my doubts about his stamina.

Jayo is a very interesting one, loved the way he won the other day but he has had problems with vessels although no sign of that in a long time.

For: Ballydub (Pertemps) Monkerhostin (Kim Muir) & Zaynar (Triumph)

Against: Denman (Gold Cup), Tatenen (Arkle)

For:- Diamond Harry
Could be absolutely anything and it'll be fascinating to see how he gets on when challenged (if anyone gets that close of course).

Against:-Starluck
Undeniably impressive in his wins,but there's a bit of a difference in winning on tracks for suspect stayers like Huntingdon,Fakenham & Kempton then coming down that hill at Cheltenham.

I concur with those who felt Rory's selections deserved a groan.

Gotta love these threads. I couldn't be categorically for or against any horse for Cheltenham at this stage. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that forming opinions at this point is liable to lead to inaccurate form reading as there will be a decided tendency towards interpreting in the manner consistent with the previously held opinion.

So....

For: A 4 day festival this year
Against: Supermarket own brand lagers.

Gotta love these threads. I couldn't be categorically for or against any horse for Cheltenham at this stage. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that forming opinions at this point is liable to lead to inaccurate form reading as there will be a decided tendency towards interpreting in the manner consistent with the previously held opinion.

That is a danger but one that I'd imagine most people on here are aware off. The chances of the chosen horse not reaching the race or running in the 'wrong' race should be factored into the price you take. The rewards can be huge.

Backing a horse at "value" odds is an entirely different thing from making for/against assertions, although I note that Galileo does state "at this stage" in his thread opener.

Back