Forum horse connections

I'm not saying I don't back the horses because I do, but I'm not going to heavily back one just because it is mine unless I think it has an outstanding chance of winning. Having said that I have never backed any horse against any of mine as I feel like I'm cheating on them as daft as it sounds. Cost me a few quid in the guineas because I really liked Sea the Stars I know it sounds like after timing but the vibes for him were very positive and when I saw him in the pre-parade ring that day he was outstanding.

I'm not saying I don't back the horses because I do, but I'm not going to heavily back one just because it is mine unless I think it has an outstanding chance of winning. Having said that I have never backed any horse against any of mine as I feel like I'm cheating on them as daft as it sounds. Cost me a few quid in the guineas because I really liked Sea the Stars I know it sounds like after timing but the vibes for him were very positive and when I saw him in the pre-parade ring that day he was outstanding.

Don't want to be grilling you but I read the story in the Racing Post a few months ago and it mentioned that your dad was a black taxi driver-was gambling in your blood from an early age.

Yeah he was a black cabbie. In terms of gambling though my family have always been involved in one way or another in the industry so i was exposed to it at a reasonably young age.

Trying not to sound biased but I'm not going to be overly worried about the competition over 1m 4f this year as I believe the horse is potentially very very good over that distance. If you take the form from the Voltigeur and use one or two form lines he is not far off Cavalryman. He is definitely going to improve as well from 3 to 4 years as he was still a little weak last year and still growing into his frame. Jimmy fortune was also very complementary on him for the big races this year so I'm quite excited.

I thought he travelled beautifully in the Leger before emptying in the last furlong or so.

Yep it all went exactly as thought he would look like had been parachuted in with 2f's to go and then whether his stamina would hold...which unfortunately it didn't. Like I said a biased view but over 1m 4f this year he is going to be very tough to beat as he is versatile enough to have the speed in a slow run race or has enough stamina in a hard run race.

I think he'll be a strong player in Group Twos and Threes over 1m4f but I can't see him matching the Cavalryman's with this world. I hope I'm wrong though and he gives you a good season and stays healthy. As I say though, the middle distance brigade in the States are below ours and it could be a door to some decent prize money if you find yourselves looking at the rears of Cavalryman, F&G and co but I hope your lad will improve past them.

Do you find it hard to get your bets on more and more with the big firms now? I know a few owners who have found it become increasingly difficult in the past 18 months (Worse than it's ever been) with firms simply refusing to lay decent bets any more.

Getting bets on is so so i use betfair quite a bit nowadays so there is plenty of liquidity in there.

Welcome to the forum, Lawrie. Good luck with your horses for the year ahead. I have followed you career as a trader closely, as it's a career I would love. However, I'm not mathematically minded enough to become one, sadly.

I think he'll be a strong player in Group Twos and Threes over 1m4f but I can't see him matching the Cavalryman's with this world. I hope I'm wrong though and he gives you a good season and stays healthy. As I say though, the middle distance brigade in the States are below ours and it could be a door to some decent prize money if you find yourselves looking at the rears of Cavalryman, F&G and co but I hope your lad will improve past them.

Agree with all of that (including the positive sentiments) and would think a Grade 1 in the States would be very much the way to go.

I think the Voitegeur was the dodgiest race of last season.

You could see sneak a race like the Coronation Cup - if ridden from the front he could be tricky to catch. But the likes of Fame And Glory will probably turn up there and I could not see him beating him if he progresses as expected.

All winding up aside, do you think FAG will progress or are you worried about his autumn form?

I think with a pacemaker/fast pace, Cavalryman will be very difficult to beat over 1m4. I hope they don't get any delusions and run him over shorther though.

Do you find it hard to get your bets on more and more with the big firms now? I know a few owners who have found it become increasingly difficult in the past 18 months (Worse than it's ever been) with firms simply refusing to lay decent bets any more.

He would certainly win Group 1´s in Germany, thats for sure. and they are all over 1m4f, how handy is that? Großer Preis von Baden, here we come ... If only one could be sure where - and that! - racing goes ahead in Germany, and if the prizemoney would be a bit better ....:)

and before I miss the boat --- good luck to all and everybodys connection horses !
and well done flame, but I mentioned it on fb!

As most are aware my family are involved in a few 'orses, which is much fun. Good luck to everyone for the coming year with their nags.

Hi Hamm,

My family have had a number of horses with Steve Gollings. Currently we only have grand old Will He Wish and King's Ransom who run in my Mum's colours. My Dad has also owned a number of horses in the past with little success. Mum seems to be the only one to be able to own winners :p

A good few on the forum would know the horses I have shares in. Been very lucky so far with Brave Inca and Kimberlite King (who has won 3 races and if the weather helps then he might make it 4!!). Not so lucky with our most expensive purchase, Captain Bondi, but you can't win them all. Two nice young horses at the moment in 5yo Raise The Beat (by Beat All - ran once when backward - would expect more in the future) and a Definite Article 3yo related to Megans Joy and Tropical Lady. The latter three horses will be out come Spring time so hoping for plenty of more success. Have my eye out for another one at the moment but will prob be from an Irish bumper or point to point.

Back