Frankel V Canford Cliffs

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
He's the kind of horse who would look like that. But that, or any other opinion, is only conjecture. A less than 1 length beating and a 2 pound difference isn't..

It wasn't a less than 1 length beating. And he still gave her weight and a beating. He was still the better horse on the day.

Sorry, I took the 2010 rating.

Timeform:
Canford Cliffs 133, Paco Boy 129

Racing Post Ratings:
Canford Cliffs 130, Paco Boy 127

The Official Handicapper:
Canford Cliffs 127, Paco Boy 124

Gives differences of 4lb, 3lb and 3lb.

On reflection, I think that Canford Cliffs was probably 3lb superior to Paco Boy. Maybe 4lb at a push.

It strikes me that Canford Cliffs really struggled to win people over. Including me. People didn't think he would have a chance of beating Dick Turpin, Rip van Winkle, Makfi*, Goldikova and Frankel.

He did all of the above, apart from the last challenge. There is no shame in that.

* I am aware that Makfi wasn't at his best that day.

You don't seriously count that as 'giving weight'??

I've explained this before. If you are talking absolute ratings Goldikova is not quite as good as Canford. In a race though she had her fair chance as she was getting the weight for sex concession.

Last edited:
The facts are now there for all to see, and Canford Cliffs was undoubtedly a very good miler, but absolutely not a great one.

Like I say he had just got to the point that I thought he would and wanted to see if he was even better. We've been denied that opportunity.

Whether you want to call him "great" or not boils down to your definition of greatness. I believe it would be a little harsh not to call him a great or brilliant miler. In absolute terms he was a little better than Goldikova and if she isn't great there aren't many that are.

Canford Cliffs was a class miler ,without question but Frankel is in a totally different league to him. It is nonsense of Hannon today to suggest again hanging left, something wrong etc etc - he was beaten by a freakish horse the quality of which we rarely see, he should just accept it instead of contuning the smokescreen of what would have been a pipedream of actually believing the form could be reversed at Ascot. Funny he hung at Newbury last year when beaten by DicK Turpin and we didn't hear all the nonsense then. The fact remains confidence was oozing from all connections before the race, so they should have been far more gracious afterwards after Frankel's demolition. Incidentally anyone continuning to question Frankel really should have read the RP today - he has all the G1 horses at his mercy, its all there in black and white. I can't wait until the step up to 10f, allbeit next year - what a prospect that is....Canford? yes a very good miler, but if you want to compare with Frankel , it really is such a one-sided argument , much as the dual last week was ridiculously one sided.. Firmly believe Coolmore have had some say here, clearly taking another hammering from Frankel is not going to look good as a parting shot on his CV, interestingly news breaks the day after entries and prices marked up for Ascot..

Last edited:
The "nonsense" from Hannon is supported by a vet who has diagnosed an injured pastern, and assuming the vet is a person of professional integrity, the horse would certainly hang if not try to pull himself up. That takes nothing away from FRANKEL, who is a unique animal of great quality. Tom Queally says he's a highly professional ride, and that after working out at home, he can be unsaddled and washed down without even the need to secure him, he's so well-behaved and laid back. He also eats up anything that's put in front of him with great gusto - the horse is just one all-round great guy.

Canford Cliffs was a class miler ,without question but Frankel is in a totally different league to him. It is nonsense of Hannon today to suggest again hanging left, something wrong etc etc - he was beaten by a freakish horse the quality of which we rarely see, he should just accept it instead of contuning the smokescreen of what would have been a pipedream of actually believing the form could be reversed at Ascot. Funny he hung at Newbury last year when beaten by DicK Turpin and we didn't hear all the nonsense then. The fact remains confidence was oozing from all connections before the race, so they should have been far more gracious afterwards after Frankel's demolition. Incidentally anyone continuning to question Frankel really should have read the RP today - he has all the G1 horses at his mercy, its all there in black and white. I can't wait until the step up to 10f, allbeit next year - what a prospect that is....Canford? yes a very good miler, but if you want to compare with Frankel , it really is such a one-sided argument , much as the dual last week was ridiculously one sided.. Firmly believe Coolmore have had some say here, clearly taking another hammering from Frankel is not going to look good as a parting shot on his CV, interestingly news breaks the day after entries and prices marked up for Ascot..

I am afraid that the nonsense is all in your post . Anyone with functioning eyes could have seen that Canford Cliffs was never travelling last week. That does not mean that he would have beaten Frankel and nobody from the Hannon yard has been quoted as saying that .

He was travelling fine until Frankel put the hammer down and took him out of his comfort zone. He didn't run to his best because of Frankel. Any other excuse is just that, an excuse with an eye on his stud career.

Last edited:
He was travelling fine until Frankel out the hammer down and took him out of his comfort zone. He didn't run to his best because of Frankel. Any other excuse is just that, an excuse with an eye on his stud career.

You are bang on there! and still the nonsense from Hannon has continued today... the confidence and talking up beforehand wa laughable in the extreme.

Last edited:
Back