Frankie Dettori Retirement Year Thread

simmo

Senior Jockey
A place for all abuse of and fawning over Mr L Dettori during his final year in the saddle.

Sporting Life is reporting that Kinross is to go for the July Cup - the only British Group 1 that Frankie has yet to win. Assuming Kinross gets there I think this gives him a reasonable chance of completing the set.

Not funny at all Grassy very insensitive

My freind lost his wife's hat....her head was still in it......his trial starts next month:lol:

As for Detorri despite what he has achieved over the years I never felt confident with him riding

Not like I did if it was/is Lester, Scobie, Eddery, Swinburn, Cauthon or William Buick ridng, who always gave me added confidence I never felt with Frankie.

It was always like you were waiting for something to go wrong,

The greatest thing ive ever seen on a racecourse and ever will see- Enable and Crystal Ocean 2019 King George

You just know he won't retire at the end of the year though

It'll be like an old rock band having their 'farewell tour' that lasts about 3 years:D

Odious little fecker but a great jockey no doubt. Fantastic Light vs Galileo Irish Champion. Broke my heart but a great ride.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

The greatest thing ive ever seen on a racecourse and ever will see- Enable and Crystal Ocean 2019 King George

It'll be like an old rock band having their 'farewell tour' that lasts about 3 years:D

Aye, the same Frankie who cost Enable a third Arc; an out & out egocentric who's travelling the globe to advertise himself.

Odious little fecker but a great jockey no doubt. Fantastic Light vs Galileo Irish Champion. Broke my heart but a great ride.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I loved Fanny Light, and this was a great race to watch. I used to think the pace maker won this for FL as made G go wide, but seeing it very recently, G could have got there, FL wouldn't let him pass.

It was always like you were waiting for something to go wrong,

And when it did it was always someone else’s fault

No denying he’s been great for the game despite some obvious bad traits though IMO and deserves to go out on a high

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought he was seriously over-rated when he went through his apprenticeship but there's no doubt be developed into one of the all-time greats.

(Maybe one day Ryan Moore will be the same :))

But latterly a lot of his antics have struck me as more about him being the most important thing to him. Unfortunately the media seem to encourage this as though they think it's good for the sport.

Become too lazy in the last 15 years or so for one. Would only ride to win when actually thought had a chance instead of giving everything he rode a chance. Too many times made him mind up before leaving the paddock. I worked somewhere they employed him and everyone I worked with couldn't stand him. As said earlier on here always some one/ something else's fault if something went wrong/didn't win, and a list of ready excuses to trot out when it did go wrong/ didn't win.

Many years ago behind young Jamie Spencer in a queue waiting to pay for petrol and he was riding a pace maker for FD in a race in France later that day. Good luck I say. Thanks but not really going with a real chance. Yes but if it goes wrong it will be all your fault. Yes he laughed got that right!

Aside from the three times caught with drugs/taken drugs, all about the cameras and 'me me me' . When he 'rescued' one of the Ascot seven who was going through the ring at the end of his career, it was because the groom who looked after him contacted Dettori and begged him to take him/help as he couldn't afford/ had no home to take him too. None of that mentioned when it happened and Dettori asked about it. Yes I know he could have not bothered but he took all the glory as usual. Other things make him odious but not for here.

Last edited:

"I don't know whether to laugh, cry or enjoy it - I'm so messed up at the moment"

Wishing he hadn't said he'd retire...

Working out how he can let everyone know he'll be riding Chaldean as a 4-year-old

Become too lazy in the last 15 years or so for one. Would only ride to win when actually thought had a chance instead of giving everything he rode a chance. Too many times made him mind up before leaving the paddock. I worked somewhere they employed him and everyone I worked with couldn't stand him. As said earlier on here always some one/ something else's fault if something went wrong/didn't win, and a list of ready excuses to trot out when it did go wrong/ didn't win.

Many years ago behind young Jamie Spencer in a queue waiting to pay for petrol and he was riding a pace maker for FD in a race in France later that day. Good luck I say. Thanks but not really going with a real chance. Yes but if it goes wrong it will be all your fault. Yes he laughed got that right!

Aside from the three times caught with drugs/taken drugs, all about the cameras and 'me me me' . When he 'rescued' one of the Ascot seven who was going through the ring at the end of his career, it was because the groom who looked after him contacted Dettori and begged him to take him/help as he couldn't afford/ had no home to take him too. None of that mentioned when it happened and Dettori asked about it. Yes I know he could have not bothered but he took all the glory as usual. Other things make him odious but not for here.

Thanks for that insight G-G

I actually worked with him at Cumanis for three years not long after he arrived. He was quite cute at 17 but soon became cocky and arrogant. I remember going clubbing in Cambridge one time and was designated driver with a load of girls from the yard. He also turned up with his entourage and I’m pretty sure he was using by then. Anyway I was quite glad to see them as the girls I had driven were off getting plastered but I was furious come Monday morning when the Secretary said “oh I hear you were off clubbing like bitches in heat!” I was so angry because I knew exactly where that had come from so I pinned the fecker up against the wall and made him apologise especially as he knew that I had been stone cold sober.

He later rode for me at Windsor on a horse I knew was a mile and a quarter horse. FD was a late replacement as my booked jockey was stuck in traffic. He came into the paddock and my owners were thrilled that he was riding. They fawned all over him. I gave him instructions which he completely ignored and let the horse doss out the back, coming back in saying he needed 2 miles. I was furious especially when they then insisted that the horse ran over 2 miles “because Frankie had said so!”

Even now when he sees me, he’s all “lovely to see you” until he spots someone more important. First class Twat!

I actually worked with him at Cumanis for three years not long after he arrived. He was quite cute at 17 but soon became cocky and arrogant. I remember going clubbing in Cambridge one time and was designated driver with a load of girls from the yard. He also turned up with his entourage and I’m pretty sure he was using by then. Anyway I was quite glad to see them as the girls I had driven were off getting plastered but I was furious come Monday morning when the Secretary said “oh I hear you were off clubbing like bitches in heat!” I was so angry because I knew exactly where that had come from so I pinned the fecker up against the wall and made him apologise especially as he knew that I had been stone cold sober.

He later rode for me at Windsor on a horse I knew was a mile and a quarter horse. FD was a late replacement as my booked jockey was stuck in traffic. He came into the paddock and my owners were thrilled that he was riding. They fawned all over him. I gave him instructions which he completely ignored and let the horse doss out the back, coming back in saying he needed 2 miles. I was furious especially when they then insisted that the horse ran over 2 miles “because Frankie had said so!”

Even now when he sees me, he’s all “lovely to see you” until he spots someone more important. First class Twat!

How did he know you were stone cold sober? had he been monitoring your drinks?

Who was the secretary that said that to you?

How did you know he grassed you up?

Which horse did he ride at Windsor? Were you the trainer?

Who was the jockey caught in traffic?

Last edited:
Back