Frankie Dettori Retirement Year Thread

Alfie Hewett should get this if there is any justice. Been a star all year not just a couple of times, winner of major titles again, and finishes the year ranked number 1 in the world.
How IT is nominated I have no clue. Is Clare Balding on the committee?
Earps, as good as she is, a sympathy nomination I think after the shirt fiasco.

Earps hasn't achieved a tenth of what Frankie has in his career.

Man United V West Ham attracted 4000 supporters only big gate was against Man City at 43,000 over 5 games the attendance was just over 60,000 fans

Ascot attracted 300,000 racegoers across five days plus another few million watched it on TV.

They pull people like Earp out their ass every so often but no one will convince me the majority of british sport loving public who don't follow Man Unt have a clue who the hell she is

Last edited:
Earps hasn't achieved a tenth of what Frankie has in his career.

Man United V West Ham attracted 4000 supporters only big gate was against Man City at 43,000 over 5 games the attendance was just over 60,000 fans

Ascot attracted 300,000 racegoers across five days plus another few million watched it on TV.

They pull people like Earp out their ass every so often but no one will convince me the majority of british sport loving public who don't follow Man Unt have a clue who the hell she is

It's not Sports Personality of the Year Who's Watched By the Most People Award. Nor what someone has done over the last 30 years. Earps watched by large crowds equivalent to RA at the Euros and the World Cup.
Give Dettori a life time achievement award if they want, but THIS last year Hewett has achieved more than all the others put together. And he's not an obnoxious git away from the cameras either.

Alfie was robbed. Man United fans won that for Earps, of which I am lifelong one, although hate current manager and want him gone, but I voted for Alfie.
Only saving grace was IT not in first 3 either.

When I saw the short list I decided the programme wasn't worth watching.

I'm afraid we're going to face this kind of situation every year from now on: candidates who aren't worthy of the award being shortlisted by an anonymous panel with no public explanation of the criteria for nomination.

Dettori shouldn't even have been shortlisted. He's a self-publicising wee shitebag but he probably does deserve a lifetime achievement recognition once he does retire.

Women's football is shite, worse than Scottish football. But it's gaining traction because of the success of the Lionesses. It's getting undue TV coverage and once you put it to a public vote there's only going to be one outcome.

The whole idea of SPOTY lost its gravitas many years ago and has been a joke pretty much ever since.

Last edited:
Sorry DO but Hewett has won more grand slams than every British player in history put together and he's only 26. He won numerous titles this year and finished ranked number 1 in the world. If that had been Murray, he'd have won in a landslide. With Gordon Reid, his doubles partner, previously ranked number one in singles also, they won 15 grand slam doubles titles in a row. 15........unbeaten in doubles for almost 4 years.
Earps didn't win anything last year - public vote will always be skewed against 'the best'. Same as Strictly, the best couple hardly ever win.
If you've never watched wheelchair tennis, give it a go. It is fabulous sport. These guys are so fit, it's ridiculous.

Sorry DO but Hewett has won more grand slams than every British player in history put together and he's only 26. He won numerous titles this year and finished ranked number 1 in the world. If that had been Murray, he'd have won in a landslide. With Gordon Reid, his doubles partner, previously ranked number one in singles also, they won 15 grand slam doubles titles in a row. 15........unbeaten in doubles for almost 4 years.
Earps didn't win anything last year - public vote will always be skewed against 'the best'. Same as Strictly, the best couple hardly ever win.
If you've never watched wheelchair tennis, give it a go. It is fabulous sport. These guys are so fit, it's ridiculous.

Sorry to be so anti-woke, G-G, but para stuff holds no interest for me. I'm 68, overweight and losing my eyesight and I reckon I could give anybody else in that situation a run for their money at football, cycling, rowing, golf, table-tennis, drinking and shagging, but there's no chance I'll ever get on SPOTY.

Last edited:
This is one of the great non-events of the year. I would suspect the great majority of the population had barely heard of the para chap so how could they judge his "personality"? Personally, it always amazes me that so many people actually vote for this nonsense, let alone become irate at the outcome.

I have long been confused by the moniker of "personality".

Earps was the obvious choice given the way the BBC are promoting the women's game at present. I'd never heard of the tennis chap, something I'm fairly certain I have in common with most people.

Only Earps I had heard of were at the OK Coral....IMVHO 12 people deciding who should be eligible is a joke.

if it came down to public voting Earps wouldnt have a hope in hell of winning.

Just reading Frankie won 3 of his 4 mounts Friday night at Santa Anita. He has started the year off winning 4 of 9 races (44%) and ITM in 7 of those (78%)

He keeps this up he'll still be riding winners when he's dead:lol:

I've noticed quite a lot of media attention on some jockey called 'Dettori' in recent days. As Frankie retired last year and as such withdrawn from the public view he so badly abhorred, I'm hoping somebody can inofrm me on the new guy.

TIA

AC

Back