Frankie Dettori Retirement Year Thread

The one top jockey who surprised me as I expected him to be miserable was Ryan Moore who I saw first hand at Nottingham races being absolutely fantastic outside the weighing room with the kids

I've heard from a few people now that away from the saddle he's a real genuine sort. Good to know.

Retire.......riding like he is at the monet he could have gone on for another few years.

I honestly never knew he was riding in the first race today and I never had a bet.

about 1 1.2 ftrlongs out I scanned along to see if I could spot one going well.......everything was going at it bar 1

I still didn't know it was Frankie and for a minute I thought he's not going to get there but what a judge.

Timed it to perfection.

Can't say I am his biggest fan as he worries me sometimes but no getting away with it the guys is very special.

Last edited:
A long time ago I saw a horse called Pirate Army win at Chepstow. Luca Cumani trained. I spoke to the lad after the race as the horse walked around us and he said Frankie isn’t as good as Ray Cochrane, especially in a finish. That worked out well!

Unlikely Havlin would get promoted. He’s your typical second jockey...always there but in the background.

Only three weeks of racing with the wonder that is Frankie Dettori left to go.

He's been a constant throughout my period of interest in horse racing. Just about the only constant. I'll miss him.

The man is a legend.

30 years or whatever it now is working as a top jockey I'm not surprised he may have ruffled feathers.

People can criticise him that's fair enough, but he surely hasn't done anything that bad. The fact remains, he is a legend.

In the world of horse racing he has been the face of it, for good or for worse, for 30+ years.

Last edited:
I know window cleaners with bigger egos than Frankie, Reet. :)

So what if being ultra humble is not his style anyway.

It wasn't really Muhammed Ali's in his prime either...but that didn't detract in anyway from what he did for his sport.

In fact, his character made him who he was... A person admired by many.

Last edited:
He’s a tw*t. Yes of course he’s done loads for the sport and he’s hugely talented ..but he’s still an arrogant tw*t with an ego to match. And I can say that personally as I have known him since he was 16 when I used to work with him.

Oh this thread just keeps on giving.

It's making me chuckle about as hard as when I got diagnosed with 'penis trauma'.

Last edited:
C'mon Marb; our sport has plenty of proper legends - name one other who ever kissed a camera?

Back