Frankie Dettori Retirement Year Thread

The sectionals will be interesting. Kyprios looked to be struggling to go the pace but it maybe meant he ended up not doing too much and it looked like he was fighting back again at the line.

Might Trawlerman have won much more easily had he not chased the lead?

Look at his Ebor win.

Look at his Ebor win.

That's kind of what I meant, Luke.
Taken down early, led, raced extremely wide and alone early, switched left and joined main group when slowed tempo after 5f, joined and pushed along over 3f out, ridden and headed over 1f out, soon rallied, kept on well and led again final strides, gamely (op 12/1)

No issues with him racing prominently/alone but just wondering if he'd held back six or seven lengths could he have had a wee bit extra energy for the final furlong?

Last edited:
Mr Amo Racing learned a very important lesson today.
When you retain a World class jockey, the horse wins if good enough; no hard luck story as a rule.
NO disrespect to Rossa Ryan or Kevin Stott but there is usually only one World Class jockey per generation.

At last we'll be spared his nauseous self-promotion for a little while,at least.

Last edited:
At last we'll be spared his nauseous self-promotion for a little while,at least.

Yeah, right. My book for when he unannounces his retirement in Europe

Pre-Christmas 16/1
January 12/1
February 10/1
March 7/1
April 4/1
May 3/1
June Evens

His strongest addiction is to the attention of others.

Yeah, right. My book for when he unannounces his retirement in Europe

Pre-Christmas 16/1
January 12/1
February 10/1
March 7/1
April 4/1
May 3/1
June Evens

His strongest addiction is to the attention of others.

May would be the bet I would think, back in time for the first classic.

What you lot don’t seem to realise is that Frankie is a superstar who has saved racing from from dying a painful death on these shores. He has made a tremendous sacrifice by keeping going through the pain and exhaustion that advancing years bring in their tow. He could carry the burden no longer, but such is the overwhelming dismay of his going and the love surrounding him that he will stand in the breach once more however much it hurts and return to save our racing once again. I know this from an impeachable source - he told me.

Last edited:
It's always been about the attention. Saturday, in a way, was the worst thing that could have happened. His ego won't take the lack of adoration for long. Was talking to someone earlier today who is very well known in the industry as in been around a long time, knows almost everyone, and is respected by everyone, (even if they don't like him) and he said FD is not well liked at all by people in the industry, and that diminishes the view that he is a good/great jockey. As said previously when I worked for his old boss no one at the location I worked at could stand him. He'd already given up making an effort by then.

From RP

Frankie Dettori will miss the chance to win next month's Melbourne Cup, one of the few major races not on his glittering CV, after being suspended for a combined 16 days for overuse of the whip on two of his Champions Day rides.
Dettori was found to have used his whip once above the permitted level aboard the John and Thady Gosden-trained Trawlerman in the final two furlongs of the Qipco Long Distance Cup.
The Godolphin stayer initiated a memorable double for the rider on his final day in the saddle in Britain, who signed off with victory in the Champion Stakes aboard the Roger Varian-trained King Of Steel.
Dettori, however, also went one over the permitted limit earlier on the card on Champions Sprint second Kinross, with the whip review committee finding him to have used his whip seven times inside the final two and a half furlongs of the 6f event.

Last edited:
I think we have a problem in this country in that we expect our sporting heroes to be ‘nice’ when to have the single mindedness to excel at a sport someone probably needs to be pretty ruthless. What I don’t like is someone pretending to be something that they’re not.

I think we have a problem in this country in that we expect our sporting heroes to be ‘nice’ when to have the single mindedness to excel at a sport someone probably needs to be pretty ruthless. What I don’t like is someone pretending to be something that they’re not.

Quite so, Tony McCoy and Ruby Walsh come across as deeply unpleasant people but not a jot is mentioned to this effect.

Remember Frankie's father was a jockey also.
Frankie has memories of him, some not so nice , of how Gianfranco dealt both with work with retirement .
That shadow may also haunt him, to some extent.
Looking at some of the flak Frankie has got online on other threads, you would swear he had killed someone.

He has literally conned people out of thousands with this charade, never mind his half arsed jockeyship over the years when he couldn't be bothered and the cameras weren't there.

Plenty of nice guys reach the top. Being successful is not an excuse for being an absolute Kunt of a human being.

Back