From The Paddock

"Roaring Forte was a big baby in the paddock and he didn’t stop spooking and getting a bit edgy. He ran a blinder to come 3rd and whilst he didn’t look as classy as some of these he clearly has an engine and should have little problem winning his maiden this season."

ROARING FORTE runs in the Lingfiled 1.10 today....................but he is rather a short price!!

Rock Of Rochelle, who was noted by Chris in the paddock at Newmarket, is due to run in the Listed event at the Curragh 4.45 tomorrow.

To save you looking, this is what Chris had to say :

"Rock Of Rochelle is another nice colt and he is very big and backward, the fact he has won twice already hints he is useful but he was very weak behind and was starting to go in his coat. He looks a horse with a frame to fill over the winter and it would be no surprise to see him develop into a decent sort over the winter."

BTW, it's v. quiet on here today?!?!

Two of the runners at Newmarket today appeared in Chris's notes last back-end, they are, with the comments that he wrote at the time :

SAVARAIN 2.00

Savarain was another who has a big frame to fill and will be a horse that will probably need at least 10f next season. He was a large strong horse who was carrying a lot of condition, he will improve a lot for this run and looks a nice stamp for next season.

SHABIBA 3.45

Shabiba a daughter of Seeking the Gold was clearly one of the strongest lookers in the paddock and she was still carrying a bit of condition suggesting she will still improve again for the run. A big leggy sort she certainly was the pick of the bunch and it was no surprise to see her win the race itself.

I'm away at present but I do have someone paddocking for me at Newmarket these next two days and then on to Newbury over the weekend.

I will post up all my notes.

Chris

Three runners today.

RIVER PROUD 3.45 :

River Proud who was on his toes at Doncaster was very relaxed in the paddock here and looked much more settled. He is actually a really strong colt to look at and probably possesses the most scope of any of these. Quite rounded in behind he looks the time who will come up again over the winter and remains a nice sort. He was still a little nervy down at the start again and looks the type that will only gain confidence from more racing.

TWICE OVER 3.45 :

These looked in different gear to those in the opener and there would be a good 6 or 7 to take from this with confidence. The eventual winner Twice Over was a typical Cecil horse which looked very well in the paddock and was lacking nothing in the way of fitness and wasn’t too green once he settled down. A big strong sort he has a good frame to fill into over the winter and he was very strong in his walk. He looked a smart prospect and was probably the best looking horse in the race.

BLACK RAIN 5.30 :

The one to take out the race at big odds was Black Rain. If a horse could win a prize for the most green horse ever this would have won by a country mile. He was constantly on his toes and would have spooked at a fly landing on his nose. He never really got the hang on things but he was a lovely horse to look at and carried himself very well. Franny Norton didn’t have an easy ride to post and this horse was fly leaping to start with but took a grip for 3f. In the race itself he walked out the stalls and got himself detached by bucking for almost a furlong. He however was still last 2f down and the penny didn’t start to drop until late on, He flew home like a rocket and done very well to beat 6 horses home and done very well to only be beaten 15L in total. He will improve immensely for this run and he would be one to catch right in a mile maiden next time. There was plenty to like about him and there a was a good look to him that suggested he is miles better than he showed this afternoon.

KING'S WONDER runs in the Wolverhampton 8.45 and here's Chris's comments :

King’s Wonder was another attractive individual and was easily the straightest in the line up. He is a nice looking horse and carries himself very well. He could easily he a horse that could do well next season in handicaps and was one of the nicer ones to look at, even if he was a tad outclassed in what was a strong Newmarket maiden.

JUST LIKE A WOMAN Kempton 4.45

"Just Like A Women is a cracking looking sort and she is a good looking filly who has plenty of growing to do. Starting to get a bit hairy on her quarters and on her upper neck she has probably just about had enough for the season but she certainly has a frame to fill over the winter and looks the type who could progress into a useful 3yo."

Thanks for the encouragement, Heads.

Wasn't sure anyone was reading the thread.

COSSACK PRINCE Sandown 4.10

"The other horse worth mentioning was Goliath. Well actually he was called Cossack Prince but he wouldn’t have looked out of place in the Gold Cup line up. He was absolutely massive and towered above his rivals. He was a bit of a handful at first for his lad but settled after a while. A big baby like a couple of others in this he looked in need of both time and racing experience. He is definitely a long term prospect but he has the makings of a nice horse."

Another horse that I'm sure that Chris has mentioned in favourable terms, (can't find the post) I think it was due to run at the Craven meeting and was pulled out.........SKADRAK runs in the Wolverhampton 2.15.

Yep he will certainly be high up on my pecking order, have had bets at 5/6 and 10/11 (exchanges) and big bet at 8/11.

I made it a 1/4 shot today personally.

Rather harsh, Chris, although I know it must have been a disappointing outcome for you.

I'm afraid Skadrak simply won't be as good a racehorse as his talent would allow. He pulled very hard through the early stages of the race and although the winner got a dream run round the inner of the leader, those exertions meant that he lost out in a sprint finish where the front two essentially started on level terms. Winston may be at fault as he steadies his mount briefly before asking him to take the leader, but I felt he was simply trying to get his mount properly balanced ~ it didn't cost him momentum and I was disappointed that he lost out by 3/4l over a short sprint. The winner did it well enough, although this race again showed that Wolverhampton is no place for backing short priced good things ~ the track simply isn't conducive to true run races.

Maybe but I don't believe in two people pulling or this sitting there looking at horses off the bridle, it achieves nothing.

2.5f out he had both horses hard at it and should have kicked then, Ryan Moore showed how it should be done on Ask today, some jockeys I swear never wanna be successful, that or they don't possess a brain in their skull.

If your on the best horse let it stride, no point swinging off a horse too good to ruin its chance.

I agree with you entirely here Chris. I hate seening jockeys show boating . If a horse is pulling double upsides other horses off the bridle the jockey should let the horse stide on and sow it up. Sometimes it will work and sometimes it wont but at least its not making it easier for the other horses by holding on to the horse and letting the other horses back into it .

Yes a most infuriating thing to watch, if your horse has an advantage push it home, don't wait for the other one to come back on the bridle.

Two runners in the Sandown 4.30

WHISTLEDOWNTHEWIND

"Whistledownthewind was one of the 5 I really liked and whilst he was clearly in need of the run he has a very nice look to him. Still shining in his coat I would be surprised if he didn’t leave this run behind him next time."

WHITCOMBE MINISTER

"Of those in behind Whitcombe Minister was a nice type and he definitely looked as if the run would do him the world of good. He was a leggy individual and has the scope to improve into a nice prospect."

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Apr 25 2008, 01:20 PM
Bloody Winston, try looking left off a bend, should have been warned off for two years, twat.
You said he was the best pilot in the north & deserved more rides on Thursday :laughing: Told you he wasn't riding well :P

Wolverhampton isn't north enough , haha

Well I just feel there is no excuse for rides like that, he had already got form of a group horse, so its not as if handicaps would ever be on the cards.

Maybe the definition of non triers needs to be changed. Dropped in rear, and late headway, you get 28 day bans. Sit on pace, let a horse get a run on you, whilst you're cocking your dock and then send it home too late and not get there, in my opinion this is no different, as you have not ridden that horse to achieve its best possible position.

Anyways 5 for today, they wont get beat but it wont pay much more than 9/1 for an acca.

Tartan Bearer - 5.00 Lei
Centennial - 4.30 San
Medicine Path - 3.55 San
Queen Of Naples - 8.35 Wol
Meshtri - 8.20 Hayd

G/L

Back