Galway Festival 2011

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
It's that time of the year when I follow Dermot Weld's horses blind - no thinking involved - sanity returns to the flat for me :D

Its more than 20years since we had a winner there in the plate and no entry this year. Maybe look at a nice 3m chase. Be lovely to breathe that atmosphere once again.

Its more than 20years since we had a winner there in the plate and no entry this year. Maybe look at a nice 3m chase. Be lovely to breathe that atmosphere once again.

Remember backing a couple of yours over the years Roddy - going Wednesday to Saturday this year - wouldn't miss it for the world!!

He'll be running in one of the smaller races at the Festival but I think King Ali will win following his tender ride in limerick the last day.

Paddy Mangan had a shocker on The Real Article today - looks a certainty for the Hurdle.

Have a feeling that Captain Cee Bee may be keeping the weights down for another JP horse.

Can't see JP following up in the Plate again this year. It's not original but I think a certain DK Weld will have a huge say in both feature races this year. I'd be leaning more towards a very well bred one of his in the hurdle at this stage.

Paddy Mangan had a shocker on The Real Article today - looks a certainty for the Hurdle.

Have a feeling that Captain Cee Bee may be keeping the weights down for another JP horse.

The Real Article trimmed to fav for the hurdle as he will have 18LB in hand as a result of handicapper O`Briens updated ratings.He will be racing off his old rating of 127 at Galway against his new rating of 145,good old Edward O`Grady. His comment on the Tipperary run, "he ran far better than I expected" despite Mangan only riding hands and heels.

The Real Article trimmed to fav for the hurdle as he will have 18LB in hand as a result of handicapper O`Briens updated ratings.He will be racing off his old rating of 127 at Galway against his new rating of 145,good old Edward O`Grady. His comment on the Tipperary run, "he ran far better than I expected" despite Mangan only riding hands and heels.

I thought that involved pushing the horse out .
The jockeys right hand looks conspicuously like its holding the bridle in place.,, i may be wrong but that in particular reminded me of another infamous ride.
Hands and heels means you drive the horse without resort to the whip..the horse never comes off the bridle.

The stewards took no action but
it was announced today the case may be reopened, pending viewing of all videos of the race
so i certainly wouldnt be backing the horse antepost yet

The tipperary stewards seem a very tolerant bunch--this is by no means the first questionable incident at the track

In RP today Pipe says he will run Quilinton, the Market Rasen plate winner and Matuhi in the Plate.Conor O`Farrell should keep the ride on the MR winner.Quilinton 12/1 and Matuhi 25/1. Paul Nicholls runs Rebel Du Maquis but feels the handicapper has got him.

Six withdrawn from thetote.com Galway Plate: Campbonnais, Classic Swain, Deutschland, Invisible Man, Montero, Sebadee. Courtesy of Jessica Lamb on twitter.

Been told to watch out for LORD KENMARE and Duff
in Galway next week, but i don'tknow if/when they are running

Last edited:
Well tonight looks a DK Weld benefit! I'd strongly fancy the Sulwaan/Riviera Poet double but there's plenty more he has with strong credentials. Anyone have any other fancies/info worth sharing??

These are the tips from the local radio station Galway Bay fm
Galway Races Day 1 selections: 5.05 Sulwaan, 5.35 De Senectute, 6.10 Riviera Poet, 6.45 Kalann, 7.15 Cash or Casualty, 7.45 Hill of Content, 8.15 Ri an Domhnaigh (nap)

Had a silly multiple but also backed Warrants A Name in the Bumper - winning pointer for a decent yard (trainer has had flat and jumps winners) whilst the owner won the race in 2003. WAN was 2nd to one of Roddy's at Worcester and I remember Roddy saying there's had been plotted up for the race, it looked a strong race to me with the 3rd having won previously and a number of other beaten horses having been beaten far further that day than on previous occassions.

He looks well worth a bet at 20/1 EW to me.

Back