Galway Festival 2011

• Thread starter Thread starter Gearoid
  • Start date Start date
I'm not sure if Sulwan was meant to win the last day or if the race fell into his lap.Went 150 in running against pedigree hound Tavern Time.I couldn't back him at 6/4.
Has Riviera Poet really been laid out for the maiden or was there a setback in training-84 days since hisblast run.

There will be way better opportunities to back Weld horses than in the 7f maiden. If this were at any other track, Riviera Poet wouldn't be even money.

I make Learn the bet at 7/4. Only other bet that interests me is in the big race, where Eagle's Pass, who is a knockout each way bet at 20/1. It is rare to get a horse at this price that is on a nice mark, in winning form and with very impressive course form.

I am tempted to go for it tonight in a big way -one massive place lay.I know the right thing to do is sky plus the racing and take the dog for a walk.

I agree with Learn and took 7/4. I got a negative for Weld's in the opener but it's a dangerous game taking him on. This time I have with Devil's Bit. I think an e/w double is an absolute place certainty.

7:15 Acoustic Cheer / D Weld - appeals to me as a filly whose been campaigned for a lenient h'cap mark - 3 runs over 10f - 12f pulling hard in the first two and then dropped to 7f for her h'cap debut. Her mother Hymn Of Love had a touch of class at the distance.

I will also be going with Learn.

In the opener, Acapulco Gold looks interesting. Form from the French provinces tends to pass under the radar, but his looks decent, and he sold for 85k last November. Bet365's 20/1 (they are going one quarter the odds for a place) looks very fair.

In the feature race I like Rattan (12/1) and Fosters Cross (16/1 WH). The latter horse has come late to flat racing and has a mark well below what his jumps ratings might indicate. He won over today's trip at Navan last October and then ran 4th in the (Leopardstown) November handicap. Since then his mark has come down even though he had two reasonable runs over 12f at the Curragh. He also has course form at Galway.

Rattan's flat mark also looks a bit shy of where it might be given the standard he has been achieving over jumps. He has been assessed on old 8-10f form, and he might be able to step up on it over tonight's trip. He ran ok in the Ascot Gold Cup without quite getting the trip, and one of his best performance over jumps so far was in a 20f hurdle. The stable is also in excellent form.

Learn now fav on the machine, I think I'll let my bet stand on Riviera Poet to be honest. He has super form with Remember Alexander landing the Tyros and Power winning all round him. Riviera travelled super to the one pole on his debut and this 7f should suit him a hell of a lot better.

Force of Habit looks good too in the h'cap hurdle at 5.35. Can see Carberry swinging out of him approaching the last! Tough field to beat but I think this could be a DK special!

Personally, I’m with Riviera Poet. I take Luke’s point that his absence could well be un-planned, but I’ll take the chance. Form of the one run is rock solid.

Also Tantalising is open to improvement and off a mark of 83 I think she can make the frame.

Riviera Poet (Win) and Tantalising (Place) Double, 9/2ish

The move in the market is definitly against the favourite rather than because Learn is a world beater. O'Brien's are not overly confident that he will win. Really fascinating contest and always my favourite race on the opening day.

Do you really think Galway was the plan after his first race-84 days I have my doubts.

On the balance of probabilities logic would say it was not the plan. Or maybe not originally. Perhaps there was an intial setback and then then it got to a stage where "why not hold off until Galway" was the plan. I'm purely specualting of course.

I'm not steaming in so i'll take the chance that he's ready to go, and that perhaps it has been at least the plan for some time. Weld at Galway, form reads well, i'd side with him.

I've heard a rumour of a problem with Canford Cliffs well being. The move for Frankel the last two days may have been a cynical one.

Posted on the wrong thread. Could a mod move it or will someone cut and paste onto the correct thread please.

I don't know what is going on. Every time I put a bet up on this forum it wins. I have not been having a hugely profitable time of it recently, but all of the bullets I fire on here seem to find the target.

I agree about the Weld thing, Luke.

Last edited:
Well done Barry. Now can someone please tell me how I turned knowing Weld's wasn't much use into a €200 loss!

Back