Gigs

Bar the Bull

At the Start
I am not a man who usually goes to gigs, as I hate loud noise and other people.

However, I am going to two gigs in a month this summer that are particularly exciting me.

Magnetic Fields in July.

Tom Waits on 1st August.

There are very few people in the world I would rather see live. If I was prone to that type of thing, I would be wetting myself.

I'm going to Bon Jovi in early June (free tickets through a friend) and then to Oxygen, both at Punchestown. That'll probably be my lot; doesn't seem to be a particularly hot summer, though I wouldn't mind seeing Tom Waits at the Phoenix Park.

I`m supposed to be seeing Radiohead at Old Trafford (cricket ground) at the end of June. But despite paying for the tickets in February they haven`t arrived yet.

But despite paying for the tickets in February they haven`t arrived yet.

Ticketmaster's poor attempt at preventing touts/eBay re-sales probably. I only got my tickets for Bruce Springsteen last week - the gig is on Friday.

I went to Old Trafford to see Wino, Supergrass and the Arctics last summer. Gorgeous day, awful venue. Queues for miles and the place absolutely stunk by the end.

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@May 27 2008, 06:35 PM
But despite paying for the tickets in February they haven`t arrived yet.

Ticketmaster's poor attempt at preventing touts/eBay re-sales probably. I only got my tickets for Bruce Springsteen last week - the gig is on Friday.
Amazingly, that isn't even sold out.

I like my gigs, me, although getting to see any on top of everything else is a bit of a struggle for long chunks of the year.

However, I've got three lined up in the next fortnight alone;

Monday, June 2nd
MIDNIGHT JUGGERNAUTS (fine Australian electro popsters)
Barfly, Camden

Monday, June 9th
LIANNE HALL (former woman of anarcho-feminist punksters Witchknot, now an acoustic-guitar-and-programming-loops singer-songwriter)
DREI (three-piece of some description)
HUMOUSEXUAL (chickpea-obsessed Anglo-German queercore folk punk)
The Betsy Trotwood, London

Saturday, June 14th
THE SILVER WIZARD PROJECT
(my girlfriend's "fairytale rock" combo. Unutterably wonderful. Obviously)
somewhere in Tamworth, Staffordshire

Other gigs in the last six months comprised The Cure, Peter Bjorn and John, Maps, Those Dancing Days, Marine Kulture, Helen's Evil Twin, Elevenses and also the peerless Cardiacs for the gazillionth time. More, please!

Jeremy
(graysonscolumn)

I'm off next month to see Cassandra Wilson, Herbie Hancock, Etta James and the Brad Mehldau Trio at the jazz festival in Perugia. The first two I'm definitely looking forward to, but don't know the current form of the others.

Ooh, this thread is still archived and alive and ting. Lots of gigs from the last few weeks to add to it, too - if only I could remember them all! It's me age, luv...

Saw Lloyd Cole in Hebden Bridge a few weeks ago. Very, very fine, hilariously self-deprecating and proper value with two 15-song sets in the one evening. Needless to say, the biggest cheer was reserved for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAJUpbWOmtQ

gc

I mentioned him on the music thread, Joe Bonamassa is at Newcastle Arena in March and I will be there.

I was in Newcastle earlier this year to see Whitesnake.

Last edited:
Blimey - Whitesnake are still going! I don't know why, but thought they'd hung up their Stratocasters years ago.

The good ones last a long time, krizon. :)

Actually, I'm thinking mainly of David C as other members have come and gone.

Just bought tickets for Blowzabella; never saw them years back and hadn't realised they'd re formed till I saw the tickets on sale. Used to drive the kids barmy by playing their music in the car all the time [along with their 'spin off group' Ancient Beatbox]. Acknowledged to be a very influential band on the folk front. Also Simon Friend from The Levellers is playing with another local lad from Neverland. Levellers were always on very good behaviour when they played Derby 'cos Simon's granny used to come along. I like folk concerts; it's one of the few occasions these days where I actually feel younger than everybody else, even though, when I booked my tickets this evening it is the first time I've played the OAP card. I would be very, very happy if someone queried it when I hand the ticket in!

Back