Glorious Goodwood

krizon

At the Start
Anyone from here going? I'll be there definitely on the Wednesday and Thursday - would be happy to say hallo on the Wed before we settle in to see FRANKEL duke it out. Haven't looked forward so much to a race for a long time.

I'll be there on the Wednesday and happy to stand you a milk stout, Kri.

Last edited:
:lol::lol: I'll wear me best 'airnet, young man, and try to stop me stockins fallin' round me ankles! (Ena Sharples, lover of many a milk stout.)

Great - I'll PM you my mobi and maybe we can meet up and I'll buy you a cornetto with flake!

I have to be at work unfortunately. Frankel is an awesome beast of raw ability (hopefully we’ll see what he can really do in the Champion Stakes, rather than the QE II later in the season). However, I will never bet against Canford Cliffs over a mile. The faster the pace the better for Canford and he can quicken again off this sort of pace at the business end. I don’t think Frankel will be quickening at the death, rather the opposite (certainly if they run him like they have been doing).

Again, I don't understand the betting - Canford should be clear favourite.

:lol: You heard it here first!!... Welcome to the fold ye that were lost… there is more joy in Goodwood over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine righteous persons who need no repentance.

Present RPRs & prices:
Canford Cliffs 137 @ 11/8
Frankel 148 @ 11/10
Dream Ahead 140 @ 40/1
Zoffany 135 @ 80/1

Dick Turpin 130 @ 20/1

Present RPRs & prices:
Canford Cliffs 137 @ 11/8
Frankel 148 @ 11/10
Dream Ahead 140 @ 40/1
Zoffany 135 @ 80/1

Dick Turpin 130 @ 20/1

One thing's for sure, we'll see a closer race than the supposed 11lb advantage Frankel has over Canford! (...I suspect these are unadjusted WFA).

Canford to win in his usual high class fashion...cruise along behind leaders,quicken and then quicken again to beat Frankel by three parts of a length snugly. Coolmore are not in the business of wasting money. You have been warned!

There will be peaks and troughs, but Coolmore is as strong as ever (even in a period of economic decline) and dominant in the world market.

The first day looks like a punter's paradise. We have hideously underpriced horses from the Stoute, Hannon and Godolphin yards in the Group races and Cumani finally putting Forte Dei Marmi is a race he can win. Lovely.

Coolmore bought Canford Cliffs; trefflich feels they don't waste money, so he must be good.

Exhibit A:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Green_Monkey

I accept your point BTB but this was at the height of the 'cold war' between Coolmore and Godolphin. They were flexing their financial muscles at a time when most of the natives here were doing the same (to our obvious detriment now!). One swallow never made a summer and they usually don't throw money away ala Godolphin in last decade, which was my point.

Anyway I can see Frankel going off in front under more restraint than usual and Canford hitting overdrive in last 150 yds to win a snug 3/4l. Frankel has had two very hard races lest we forget.

Anyway I can see Frankel going off in front under more restraint than usual and Canford hitting overdrive in last 150 yds to win a snug 3/4l. Frankel has had two very hard races lest we forget.

I think this is roughly what will happen. Surely Frankel will be ridden with more restraint this time, if only to prove he gets further... I suspect the Champion Stakes is his objective.

And however fast he goes Canford will sit on the pace and pounce at the death.

Very tempted to take the Evens about Frankel for this at this stage.

Or just be a total slag and back Rajsaman EW. :D

I'll be there on Wednesday too albeit with work but may be able to pop out to say hello if anyone is there.

Reputations will be made or broken on one race, and I'm not talking about Canford Cliffs or Frankel. The simple fact is that Frankel is a superior horse and I'll be shocked if he's beaten. Even money is an excellent price about a horse that should be more like 1/2.

Back