Glorious Goodwood

The 2000 Guineas performance is a better effort that Canford Cliffs ever has ever put up, or ever will I think.

Last edited:
I agree with that, but Canford strikes me as a horse who could put up a monster performance with the right horse to chase. It's a no bet, race to savour for me.

The 2000 Guineas performance is a better effort that Canford Cliffs ever has ever put up, or ever will I think.
Would you expect Canford Cliffs to beat the star duo of Dubawi Gold and Native Khan by more or less than 6 lengths? (presuming, of course, given Canford's racing style he had a horse to toe him that far away)

But one could equally argue that Frankel would be capable of beating Rio De La Plata by more than 5L if in top form.

Would you expect Canford Cliffs to beat the star duo of Dubawi Gold and Native Khan by more or less than 6 lengths? (presuming, of course, given Canford's racing style he had a horse to toe him that far away)

Form should be, and is, sometimes far more subtle than simply the final margins between one horse and another at the end of the race. If you believe that Frankel is no better than +6l of Dubawi Gold, I can acknowledge why you wouldn't have the same view with regards Frankel's prospects in the Sussex as I.

I'm of the opinion thaat Frankel was value for plenty extra over the bare result at Newmarket, potentially off the scale almost. There seems to be an issue with top-class horses that they need to do it again, again and again before they get credit for a tip-top performance, but when betting on them, you have to take the view as it happens and then subsequent events will prove you wrong or right. I haven't seen any horse that could do what Frankel did in the Guineas, not Sea The Stars, not Dubai Millennium, and certainly not Canford Cliffs.

David, any thoughts on the tactics that will be employed on Frankel?

I have the greatest respect for Sir Henry Cecil (God as he is known in our'ouse) but I haven't been convinced with the way he has been ridden in his last two runs.

It's true, the manner was impressive, but he had little left at the end. I try to ignore style, and judge what was left in reserve - Frankel, because of the energy he used up to (impressively) destroy the field early on, had little left, and hence can be comfortably judged on the bare form for me.

Canford Cliffs has better form than this for me, and we arguably haven't seen the best of him.

Add in the fact that Frankel can be too keen, may have to make his own running, has the weakest jockey (who rides for a top stable) on board and the odds on Canford are enormous.

Frankel, because of the energy he used up to (impressively) destroy the field early on, had little left, and hence can be comfortably judged on the bare form for me.

I don't agree at all. If Tom had held onto him longer he'd have won by further.
I also think the WFA is a tad generous here and a good 3yo is favoured over a good older horse. The last two renewals being fine examples.

"Frankel" is Denman's name when he races on the Flat.

Anyway, I think he won't win on Wednesday & I'd back CC if there were more runners.

2K form is nonsense imo.

Frankel, because of the energy he used up to (impressively) destroy the field early on, had little left, and hence can be comfortably judged on the bare form for me.

This is where I think if the energy is distributed more evenly, we will see a better performance. Of course, that does depend on him being ridden that way, and this comes on the point that Colin makes. Will the Frankel camp get it right or not?

Timeform have the WFA system favouring 3-y-os by 2 lb. Hence the adjusted ratings are 150 Frankel, 140 Canford, but the unadjusted figs 141 and 133.

Anyway, I've said enough on the subject, time to let the horses do the talking.

Fiorente was cut across the board for the Gordon after Nathaniel's win at Ascot. He's a top-priced 11/10 now which looks very short indeed given that he shaped like a stayer at the Royal Meeting. The ground is likely to be much faster on Tuesday so it will be much more of a speed test and if I can lay him at anything like that price I'll gladly do so.

Indeed, sir! Nothing but the finest. I trust you'll be sporting a Goodwood panama hat with yellow and red hatband? :cool:

Fiorente was cut across the board for the Gordon after Nathaniel's win at Ascot. He's a top-priced 11/10 now which looks very short indeed given that he shaped like a stayer at the Royal Meeting. The ground is likely to be much faster on Tuesday so it will be much more of a speed test and if I can lay him at anything like that price I'll gladly do so.

It proved surprisingly easy to lay him at less than the bookies were offering, as it turned out.

I will be backing Bridgefield in the Toteport Mile. Surely nothing but more improvement to come, can not regress in any way, and wasn't beaten too far at Royal Ascot. He's Beaten the Richard Hannon horse who was second since and is still better off at the weights. Everything looks right for a big run.

To imitate Big Mac in advance, maybe the 'sponsors know', they and Betfred only go 12's!

Last edited:
Strong Suit has been working well with Canford of late. Now that his breathing is sorted he should take a bit of beating. I missed the 3s this morning but am all over the 11/4.

Last edited:
Back