Godolphin add new trainer

Interesting development - fascinating to see how it works out and how soon the new guy gets a top horse.

I don't think that's necessarily it Gareth - the numbers the last year or two haven't been as high as a few years back - didn't they reduce the number of horses they have in training in Europe?

Any ideas how the numbers will be split? Will be very interesting to see where their better horses are trained.

Edit: These are the horses running in his name Saturday evening:
Al Zarooni’s runners on Saturday are: Calming Influence (Godolphin Mile); Frozen Power and Siyaadah (UAE Derby); Calvados Blues (Dubai Duty Free); Anmar and Eastern Anthem (Dubai Sheema Classic) and Allybar (Dubai World Cup).

It seems they have given him, as a start, the horses Atjebi has been riding. Imagine Gladatorious his as well, and probably Vale of York.

Last edited:
I don't think that's necessarily it Gareth - the numbers the last year or two haven't been as high as a few years back - didn't they reduce the number of horses they have in training in Europe?

I'm not sure; I know they had more runners in Britain than ever before last season though. I'd just love to see them go back to their original (and very succesful) plan of having a relatively small stable of elite 3yo+ horses.

Interesting stat: from 530 runners in Britain last year, Suroor won as much prize money as he did from 121 runners in 1999. And last year was a huge improvement on 2008...

I'm not sure; I know they had more runners in Britain than ever before last season though. I'd just love to see them go back to their original (and very succesful) plan of having a relatively small stable of elite 3yo+ horses.

Interesting stat: from 530 runners in Britain last year, Suroor won as much prize money as he did from 121 runners in 1999. And last year was a huge improvement on 2008...

I think the reason for the increase in runners was that they actually got their 2 year olds on the track before October.

I don't think they have a plan/direction right now ... they need (for themselves) to be clear what is the purpose of Fabre/Johnston/Gosden, and now the 2 Godolphin trainers.

I'm not sure to be honest. He ran under Sheikh Mohammed's name until August '94, when he switched to Godolphin ownership with Stoute training, for whom he won an Irish Champion Stakes.

In any case, the Godolphin site suggests David is right and it was Balanchine in the Oaks, trained by H. Ibrahim:

http://www.godolphin.com/WinnersByYear.aspx?y=1994

When Moonax won the Yorkshire Cup he carried the Godolphin blue.I am sure Barry Hills was officially his trainer but wikipedia tells me he wasn't.
A few braincells were obliterated last week.

According to the RP, Moonax was trained by Hills for the Prix Royal Oak in Oct '94, then Suroor for the Yorkshire Cup in May '95, and then went back to Hills for the Ascot Gold Cup.

Which seems very odd!

Thinking about it, they'd probably wintered him in Dubai and had only just came back? Not sure why he was sent back to Hills at all, but that would explain half of it.

I thought that the majority of the younger horses were going to Johnston, Fabre, Gosden before heading to Godolphin for there later campaigns. Surely with all these horses plus the numbers being mentioned for the 2nd Godolphin trainer, they must have over 600 horse in training in the Europe alone, especially will all the horses owned by sons, wives and friends

Back