Godolphin

wilhelm

At the Start
Say anything happened to Sheikh Mohammed would all his horses still run in Godolphin blue and who would own. Would it be 1 person or a few? A wife, a son or sons? A trust?

His son that died was a keen racing fan don't know about the current Crown Prince who is his heir......I would like to think he'd keep the whole thing going should his father pass away

On a similar note this issue in Qatar must be raising some eyebrows at the BHA.

Doubt it, Like it or not flat racing wouldn't be in too healthy a state without their money.

Last edited:
I'm concerned* about what will happen to Juddmonte when Khalid Abdullah passes on. None of his children are interested in racing and he's already cut back his broodmare band and sold off three of his nursery studs.

*It doesn't keep me awake at nights but, you know, when the subject comes up.

After being panned by Bin Suroor in the press. Something odd about this, and the fact that Bin Suroor came out publicly. He was clearly confident Sheikh Mohammed would back him. You have to wonder why though given his record.

Last edited:
A good read in the Guardian from Chris Cook

Godolphin split goes public after John Ferguson quits as chief executive

• Longstanding member of Sheikh Mohammed’s empire walks out

• Internal feuds with trainer Saeed bin Suroor laid bare in press reports

<figcaption itemprop="description">Sheikh Mohammed’s Godolphin operation faces fresh upheaval following the news that John Ferguson has quit as its chief executive in the middle of the Flat season, a day after it emerged that he no longer had the trust of one of its principal trainers. Saeed bin Suroor said on Monday that he had effectively bypassed Ferguson and was taking instructions only from Sheikh Mohammed himself.

In a statement released to the Guardian, Ferguson said: “Given the recent articles in the media, it was clear that my position was untenable. In times such as these, what matters is the future and my stepping down will allow everyone to draw a line under things and move forward. This course of action is best for everyone.

“All the staff at Godolphin are wonderful people who work so hard for the greater good and I want to thank each and every one. His Highness Sheikh Mohammed has given me so much over the years: trust, opportunity, amazing experiences and, perhaps most importantly, his kindness and counsel. For all these things I thank him with all my heart.”

Ferguson, who has worked for Sheikh Mohammed in various roles for 25 years, took over as chief executive in December 2015 with instructions to give Godolphin “a kick in the belly” but now appears a victim of Bin Suroor’s dissatisfaction. The trainer was unhappy about being instructed to use the jockey James Doyle last year and believes the collection of two-year-olds he was sent this year compared poorly with those sent to Godolphin’s other Newmarket trainer, Charlie Appleby, whose assistant is Ferguson’s son James.

Godolphin have announced that Joe Osborne, the current managing director of Godolphin in Ireland, will be the interim chief executive.

“Now Sheikh Mohammed makes the decisions at Stanley House, nobody else,” Bin Suroor said in quotes published by the Racing Post on Monday. “I like things this way. Last year it didn’t suit me at all. Everything was top class in past times, from the work-riders to the people in the office. Now I’m trying to build that up again for the future. The last three years without Simon Crisford has not been the same, [it] has not been easy.”

Of the two-year-olds he was sent this year, Bin Suroor added: “It is a disaster. I can’t train them, have no chance to run them. The system is not quite great this year.”
The Dubai-born Bin Suroor, who has trained for Sheikh Mohammed since 1995 and through all the great early successes of Godolphin, appears to be feeling the pressure of having a rival trainer in the organisation, based at another Newmarket stable. While Bin Suroor has yet to send out a Group One winner this year, Appleby had one with Sobetsu in France last month and was second and third in Friday’s Coronation Cup. Bin Suroor presumably approached last Saturday’s Derby with high hopes but the best his three runners could manage was Benbatl’s running-on fifth.
As Bin Suroor suggested, he has yet to have a two-year-old runner in Britain this year, while Appleby has had eight winners from 13 runners.

Crisford was Godolphin’s racing manager from its creation in the mid-90s until 2014, when he chose to step down a year after the organisation was engulfed by the steroids scandal involving the trainer Mahmood al-Zarooni, who had been recommended by Crisford to the Sheikh. Crisford has since set up as an independent trainer in Newmarket.</figcaption>

Last edited:
After being panned by Bin Suroor in the press. Something odd about this, and the fact that Bin Suroor came out publicly. He was clearly confident Sheikh Mohammed would back him. You have to wonder why though given his record.

He basically used the Racing Post to oust him.

He basically used the Racing Post to oust him.

and lets not forget

Sheikh Mohammed, who founded the Racing Post in 1986 as a rival to The Sporting Life, invested £80m in the title before passing ownership to Trinity Mirror in the late 1990s for just £1. Today, the Sheikh still retains ownership of the newspaper's name, and licences it out for use on the title and its website.
At the Sheikh's suggestion, Trinity Mirror has agreed to donate £10m to four horse racing charities as a condition of the transfer of a licence to use the Racing Post trademark.
Mr Byrne, who has worked as a consultant to Sheikh Mohammed's Godolphin operation since stepping down as editor, is now expected to play a pivotal role again at Racing Post under its new owners.

Aidan O'Brien has been quoted in the Duhallow Democrat tonight,

"Look, we have a great team Thank God, blessed to be working with such amazing people Thank God, but look, if John Ferguson sent us a CV we'd bite his feckin arm off up to the elbow we would Thank God."

Last edited:
Wonder what would Godolphin give to have Maurice Moloney or Paul Shanahan on the roster ?
Had a word with Joe Osborne at Listowel Sunday; one fine guy.
I imagine Godolphin have gotten too big with far too many horses and the best staff too thinly spread through the operation.

Win maiden and novice hurdles with their rejects? Oh wait, they have Joseph for that.

Joseph will be second only to Aidan within ten years.If you were to price up the 3 ball next to train a Group 1 winner in England -JPOB,DKW or Jim Bolger who would you have as favourite.

Joseph will be second only to Aidan within ten years.If you were to price up the 3 ball next to train a Group 1 winner in England -JPOB,DKW or Jim Bolger who would you have as favourite.

Weld a massive outsider because he has nothing this year but what a great question.

Slight odds on Joseph in my opinion -compare his career trajectory as a jockey and trainer with that of his father-he is a legend in the making and only in his second year as a trainer.The other thing I expect to see him do this year is land a massive gamble in one of the big name English handicaps.

Back