Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

So what weight do you think we should give Garrison Savannah's failure to regain it as an 11yo 50/1 shot? Or See More Business's attempt to reverse form with Best Mate as a 13yo?

Generalising (in a field where it is usually dangerous to do so), aren't Black athletes genetically pre-disposed to running faster?

Yes, because we understand the cause and affect, science has taught us about body types and muscular development etc although there are other explanations (which fascinating thought they are....I'll leave for the time being). You might however have offered me the same bet back and seen whether I'd have taken it in '100m freestyle'? In this case we have an understanding as to why something is difficult and wouldn't fall under random distribution. I'd contend that in a lot of major athletics events (human or equine) there are certain circumstances that conspire for or against a horses chances, and that in a lot cases there is a fair degree of explanation as to why one is advantaged or disadvantaged. This explains the frequency of similar outcomes which we group as statistical clusters. That's not to say they can't be defied, but it's essentially the difference between what I'll call the punter and the gambler. The latter is much more aware of the probability and bets like an accountant etc

So what weight do you think we should give Garrison Savannah's failure to regain it as an 11yo 50/1 shot? Or See More Business's attempt to reverse form with Best Mate as a 13yo?

And how many previous years winners automatically assume ante post favouritism?

Ultimately stats only tell part of the story. They`ve got to be used in context. With racing it`s all about the era a given horse runs in. Best Mate won three Gold Cups and remained injury free, Kauto Star has had that same advantage but came up against opposition in his second Gold Cup that far outstripped anything BM had to face.

Another stat thrown into the mix every May is that 2000 Guineas winners are no longer capable of winning the Derby. And yet if Hawk Wing had been born a year later chances are he`d have accomplished just that.

Another stat thrown into the mix every May is that 2000 Guineas winners are no longer capable of winning the Derby. And yet if Hawk Wing had been born a year later chances are he`d have accomplished just that.

Actually the 'stat' was that 2000 Guineas runners couldn't win the Derby. At least it was when Mordin brought it up. I used to like that one. Then Sir Percy and New Approach made a mockery of it - I could just about argue that Sir Percy was the luckiest Derby winner in decades, but New Approach ran in two Guineas and still won the Derby despite having an atrocious trip...

But how many tried with realistic chances? and how many failed?

I return to something I posted earlier in response to Headstrong. It's not that they can't, it's just that its very difficult, and the percentage call is to look elsewhere. That is afterall how statistical clusters are formed. I don't think that Sir Percy or New Approach "made a mockery" of the figures, they simply reduced the laws of coincidental probability (that I think is a new branch of maths I've just invented by the way). There have been many more high profile failures than successes, but given the way we account for success that's almost inevitable. Can we separate them into realistic chances (against their odds) and their strike rates and work out a ratio etc. Over a 10 year timeframe, and certainly 15 or 20, I'd expect the percentage call is still with Mordin? Especially at the cramped odds that Guineas winners/ placed runners are likely to go off at

those of you who have been paying attention over the past few years will know that I love my stats. :<3:

Especially Cheltenham ones. :<3::<3:

Over the years I have found those stats most likely to be statistical anomaly are those associated with age and xyz hasn't happened before.

I believe that this falls into the category of xyz hasn't happened before.

Back to the question of Gold Cup winners regaining the title. Let's try the following model:

Not every horse who attempted to regain it had an equal chance of doing so. The only consistently available estimate of each horse's true chance of winning we have is their SP. So let's go through the Racing Post database (which unfortunately limits us to post-1987), find our candidates, use their SP as an estimate of their chance of winning, and use that to give us a probability of how many times we should have seen a horse regain their title if all other things were equal.

Code:
[b]Year	Horse (Year of Win)	SP	Prob[/b]
1988	Forgive 'n Forget ('85)	8/1	0.111
1989	The Thinker ('87)	15/2	0.118
1991	Desert Orchid ('89)	4/1	0.200
1992	Norton's Coin ('90)	33/1	0.029
1993	Garrison Savannah ('91)	25/1	0.038
1994	Garrison Savannah ('91)	50/1	0.020
1995	Jodami ('93)		7/2	0.222
2002	See More Business ('99)	40/1	0.024
2003	See More Business ('99)	16/1	0.059

The average probability in our sample is 0.091. Using binomial distribution, we can work out the chances of having a given number of successes:

Code:
[b]Expected
Successes	Prob[/b]
0		0.422
1		0.382
2		0.154
3		0.036
4		0.005
5		0.001
6+		0.000

So the chance of having no winners in our sample is 42%, which is greater than the chance of any other individual number of winners. Another way of looking at it, however, is that there's a 42% chance of having no winner and a 58% chance of having at least one winner.

Two ways we can improve this:

a) adjust the SPs for over-round and their each-way portions to find a more accurate 'true win' probability. This would have the effect of increasing the SPs and reducing the average probability of a winner, thereby increasing our expectation of no winners.

b) do the research to go back before 1988 to increase our sample size. Note that if the average probability stays roughly the same, as the number of candidates increase the chance of seeing 0 winners gets smaller and smaller. For example, if we ended up with 30 candidates and the average probability stayed at 0.091, the chance of us randomly seeing no winners would be just 0.057 (~6%).

I am not wrong - the horse looked decidedly burly and he didn't look especially tight either. If you think that is how a fit racehorse should look then I really worry for you. Yesterday Denman looked much as he did in the paddock for last year's Hennessy - and other people who would know exactly what they're looking for in a fit horse (and who are familiar with Denman and how he would usually look) agreed with me.

I really don’t know what to say to this Dom, other than one of the main advantages of being at the racecourse is to actually look at the racehorses rather than to decide in your mind what you expect to see.

The horse was not only not carrying hardly any condition he looked very spare. Some might have seen this as looking race fit, I did not. He looked quite weak in fact. The trainer has verified that the horse is much lighter than he was last year and that he has had nothing to work off. This suggests that the horse is physically in a different place to where he was at this time last season.

I don’t know why you cannot just accept that you can be wrong about things. This horse was not burly by any stretch of the imagination (so why be opinionated about it?). He is far from thriving. The fact that you have got a bunch of cronies to agree with you means very little to me and says more about your and their ability to look objectively at things… sorry if this is harsh, but I do get really fed up with this sort of nonsense.

I cant have this business of saying if mdb had not been in the race denman would have won easily is pointless,it is a race that has not happened so you cant possibly know what would have happened,you have to go on what you see,and imo denman was disappointing,make no mistake P nicholls had him fit enough and denman of old would have won going round the wrong way or not,far to much is made of horses going left handed or right they can win any way imo it is far more to do with the opposition than any thing else.

I am not wrong - the horse looked decidedly burly and he didn't look especially tight either. If you think that is how a fit racehorse should look then I really worry for you. Yesterday Denman looked much as he did in the paddock for last year's Hennessy - and other people who would know exactly what they're looking for in a fit horse (and who are familiar with Denman and how he would usually look) agreed with me.

I really don’t know what to say to this Dom, other than one of the main advantages of being at the racecourse is to actually look at the racehorses rather than to decide in your mind what you expect to see.

The horse was not only not carrying hardly any condition he looked very spare. Some might have seen this as looking race fit, I did not. He looked quite weak in fact. The trainer has verified that the horse is much lighter than he was last year and that he has had nothing to work off. This suggests that the horse is physically in a different place to where he was at this time last season.

I don’t know why you cannot just accept that you can be wrong about things. This horse was not burly by any stretch of the imagination (so why be opinionated about it?). He is far from thriving. The fact that you have got a bunch of cronies to agree with you means very little to me and says more about your and their ability to look objectively at things… sorry if this is harsh, but I do get really fed up with this sort of nonsense.

Ah, that thin line that divides the brave from the foolish.

Hard to tell from the tv, but I agree with Steve...the horse did not appear to be carrying too much condition...indeed the trainer himself has said there will not be that much improvement from the horse in terms of fitness.

Physically he looked a different horse to me. In the build up to last year's Gold Cup, he was described as a tank. He certainly appeared far less imposing than last year and looked a generally less impressive animal. To me he looked like a horse that has taken alot of work in a short space of time, and that in itself has set him back.

Someone made a great point on this thread about how the horse never once took hold of the bit. Have never been the biggest fan of the horse, but looked clear to be he was not the horse of last year in any sense and I find it hard to believe he can return to his best (will actually probably need to be better again) in time for Cheltenham.

If they were really patient with the horse maybe putting him away for the rest of the season and giving him a proper preparation might be best rather than trying to get alot done in a short space of time.

Interesting stuff, SteveM. I must admit that I didn't get a chance to see Denman in the paddock before the race as I didn't catch it live, but if he did seem spare, would the fact that he doesn't have much to "work off" as you suggest, not contradict your earlier statement (at least I think it was you) that the horse will need to be put through a fair amount of fast work before the Gold Cup?

I tend to agree with Galileo that the horse might be best served by being let off now and bringing him back next year with a proper preparation.

As for the Gold Cup market, I personally haven't a bull's notion what to make of it to be honest, though I'm tempted to think Exotic Dancer might just be slightly too big at 16/1.

SteveM, you have given your opinion and Shadow Leader has given her opinion. Why should anyone have to assume that it is your opinion of Denmans wellbeing that is the correct one. When last I looked I did not detect that you are any more an authority on Denman than anyone else that has seen the horse regularly. Anyone who was there has the right to say what they believe they interpreted in the size and shape, fitness and attitude, training regime and form of Denman and your posting was just as opinionated as Shadow Leaders. Maybe it is the person who has Baracoudarised the horse and imprinted his form figures in their forum signature that is least able to offer an objective view of Saturdays proceedings.

Yours sincerely,

Someone else who was there that can make their own mind up who wasn't in the "bunch of cronies"

SteveM, you have given your opinion and Shadow Leader has given her opinion. Why should anyone have to assume that it is your opinion of Denmans wellbeing that is the correct one. When last I looked I did not detect that you are any more an authority on Denman than anyone else that has seen the horse regularly. Anyone who was there has the right to say what they believe they interpreted in the size and shape, fitness and attitude, training regime and form of Denman and your posting was just as opinionated as Shadow Leaders. Maybe it is the person who has Baracoudarised the horse and imprinted his form figures in their forum signature that is least able to offer an objective view of Saturdays proceedings.

Yours sincerely,

Someone else who was there that can make their own mind up who wasn't in the "bunch of cronies"

I’m not saying my idea of the well being of the horse is any clearer than anyone else’s. However, when it is stated that the horse was burly, when he so obviously was not, it does stand correction. Particularly so when we’re told this was the consensus of people who know what they are talking about – when this is so contrary to the facts of the matter and the trainer subsequently verifying the horse is much lighter than last year. It amazes me how people can talk with absolute conviction about things, when they clearly haven’t used their own eyes, but been swayed by received opinion.

Was fat, or was not fat: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune
Or to take arms against a sea of squabbles

I'm half reminded of some experiment that was done on this subject to do with group conformity that involved 5 children (4 of whom were stooges for the experiments purpose, with the fifth being the guinea pig). They were all given 5 pieces of string to look at, and asked to identify the shortest. The first 4 all identified the same piece (the second shortest) by the time the fifth child was asked, they also identified the piece on something like 50% of the occasions, which when debriefed, nearly all of them confessed they thought the first four were wrong, but went with the flow etc.

There is some truth that if we're surrounded with people offering an opinion then as a group we tend to converge in consensus. It's not quite auto suggestion but it's a technique that people like Derren Brown use to programme responses by exposing people to controlled and suggestive environments before delivering the punch etc.

There's plenty of other surveys that have been conducted (most notably in the field of witness testimony) where people witnessing the same event have given vastly different descriptions based loosely around what they think they wanted to see subconciously, or what they expected to see through a prediposition

In short it wouldn't be unusual for two people from different perspectives to have polarised opinions of the same observation

Sorry, I forgot. Miller is God and what he says goes - period. Therefore when he categorically tells you that "you are wrong" he is right and you should brook no argument.

Maybe before criticising others about their lack of ability to accept they are wrong [in your eyes] as well as being downright patronising and rude to them you should take yourself off the pedestal you have placed yourself upon, open your eyes and look a little yourself.

Denman looked decidedly burly to me; he looked like plenty was left to work on and he did not look fit and tight. The result of the race tends to bear that view out too, seeing as he finished knackered.

It's worth pointing out that UG and I don't quite agree about the horse either, having had long discussions about him. I think Nicholls left plenty to work on, he doesn't necessarily, partly going by what Nicholls has said to the press - whereas I wouldn't believe a word Nicholls said if my life depended on it, frankly. And no, UG was not one of the people who agreed with me - people who all go racing several times a week and whose livelihoods depend upon analysing the fitness of horses, even getting them fit and analysing thus; rather than people who go racing on a handful of Saturdays a year and wouldn't have the hands on knowledge or experience to speak so authoritatively either.

Last edited:
Harry Findlay

"I've seen nothing since that would make us change that decision.
"Sam rode five winners in two days recently and as far as I'm concerned, he'll be on Denman if he gets to the Gold Cup.
"I'm pretty sure that's how it will be.
"That was how it was on Thursday night when we were in the pub and I wasn't at Kempton.
"I haven't heard that anything has changed since then,"

Sorry, I forgot. Miller is God and what he says goes - period. Therefore when he categorically tells you that "you are wrong" he is right and you should brook no argument.

Maybe before criticising others about their lack of ability to accept they are wrong [in your eyes] as well as being downright patronising and rude to them you should take yourself off the pedestal you have placed yourself upon, open your eyes and look a little yourself.

Denman looked decidedly burly to me; he looked like plenty was left to work on and he did not look fit and tight. The result of the race tends to bear that view out too, seeing as he finished knackered.

It's worth pointing out that UG and I don't quite agree about the horse either, having had long discussions about him. I think Nicholls left plenty to work on, he doesn't necessarily, partly going by what Nicholls has said to the press - whereas I wouldn't believe a word Nicholls said if my life depended on it, frankly. And no, UG was not one of the people who agreed with me - people who all go racing several times a week and whose livelihoods depend upon analysing the fitness of horses, even getting them fit and analysing thus; rather than people who go racing on a handful of Saturdays a year and wouldn't have the hands on knowledge or experience to speak so authoritatively either.

Christ you’re hard work at times… You talk about me being patronising and rude!!! When you say “If you think that is how a fit racehorse should look then I really worry for you”, what’s that? It was anyway besides the point as you clearly hadn’t read what I said – I’ve been saying all along that he was weak and spare and that was decidedly not how he should have looked.

I won’t take this further as it is almost bound to sound discourteous. I’ll stick to suggesting that you cannot will yourself right… again I’m sorry if this comes across as excessively harsh (…I do have that unfortunate knack).:(

Good thread...lets not end it up in a slagging match. Both disagree but both are generally a good judge of a horse but differing on this occasion.

Think the market will be interesting with Denman...as to just how big does he get.

I'd suggest that you don't go around telling people "you are wrong" if you are expecting courteous replies, SteveM. Nevermind then going on to tell them they clearly didn't look at the horse whilst tagging a whole load more insults on as well.

You can think what you like about the horse - I managed to refrain from telling you how wrong you were and how you should've actually looked at the horse, so do me the same favour, will you?

Was fat, or was not fat: that is the question:
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous misfortune
Or to take arms against a sea of squabbles

I'm half reminded of some experiment that was done on this subject to do with group conformity that involved 5 children (4 of whom were stooges for the experiments purpose, with the fifth being the guinea pig). They were all given 5 pieces of string to look at, and asked to identify the shortest. The first 4 all identified the same piece (the second shortest) by the time the fifth child was asked, they also identified the piece on something like 50% of the occasions, which when debriefed, nearly all of them confessed they thought the first four were wrong, but went with the flow etc.

There is some truth that if we're surrounded with people offering an opinion then as a group we tend to converge in consensus. It's not quite auto suggestion but it's a technique that people like Derren Brown use to programme responses by exposing people to controlled and suggestive environments before delivering the punch etc.

There's plenty of other surveys that have been conducted (most notably in the field of witness testimony) where people witnessing the same event have given vastly different descriptions based loosely around what they think they wanted to see subconciously, or what they expected to see through a prediposition

In short it wouldn't be unusual for two people from different perspectives to have polarised opinions of the same observation

Very true Warbler... the weighing scales fortunately could see through it.

I'd suggest that you don't go around telling people "you are wrong" if you are expecting courteous replies, SteveM. Nevermind then going on to tell them they clearly didn't look at the horse whilst tagging a whole load more insults on as well.

You can think what you like about the horse - I managed to refrain from telling you how wrong you were and how you should've actually looked at the horse, so do me the same favour, will you?

insufferable... impossible... I give up.

Back