Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

He's sure to be sent off at odds on. Kauto would need to put in an extraordinary performance in the KG to change things. If Kauto does win the KG take advantage of any possible weakness in Denman's ante-post price for the Gold Cup. I sort of expect VPU to win on Boxing Day though.

Stranger things have happened.What price do you think he will be on the day.

He'll have at least one run before the Gold Cup, possibly two. He is ready to run any time now. Just a question of finding the right sort of race for his reappearance.

I think he'll go off 7/4 if he hasn't had a run before the GC.

What happens if he hasn't recovered fully from the heart condition though Steve?

Say he's beaten under 12 stone in the Peter Marsh and has to work hard ala Kauto Star vs. L'Ami in the AON Chase. Still odds-on?

I'm confident this is not an issue. Heart fibrillations do not stop horses winning (likely connected with over-active glands) as has been proved time and time again. It is no more than something that needs monitoring.

The horse is fit and well and a few days away from peak fitness. Use any weakness in his price to back him for the Gold Cup ahead of the Aon or alternative comeback.

What happens if he hasn't recovered fully from the heart condition though Steve?

Say he's beaten under 12 stone in the Peter Marsh and has to work hard ala Kauto Star vs. L'Ami in the AON Chase. Still odds-on?

Last edited:
Wincanton

I see they have switched the 5lb claimer (Nick Scholfield) to Pride Of Dulcote (10-10), with Liam Heard up on Elusive Dream (11-12)… So perhaps a similar tactic for a different pairing. POD comes out top-rated at the weights.

Denman taken out at Wincanton. Elusive Dream moves up to top weight.

Seems the only possible hurdle opportunity for Denman now is Jan 10th at Warwick. Nicholls quoted as saying he is still two weeks away from being ready.

Sounds like its the Aon, Cheltenham Gold Cup and then the Grand National for Denman.

Certainly make for some interestingly handicapped horses in the National this year!

Last edited:
This year is the 75th anniversary of the only horse who won the GC and the National - Golden Miller. If Denman runs in both it will be fantastic for racing, and it's about time people remembered Golden Miller who gets forgotten while Arkle and Best Mate are remembered.

Obviously the worry would be whether he is over the heart thingie, whatever that was, but if he is the same Denny who demolished his rivals last season I'd be really excited by the prospect! (Okay scared, but excited) If any horse is ever looking like being capable of doing the double wouldn't it be one nicknamed The Tank?

Horses like Notre Pere would be in off near 10 stone if Denman runs in it. Fascinating to see him take part in a race that usually does not interest me that much.

Not suggesting it is an easy way out, but it would rule Denman being really taken out of his comfort zone. Obviously the weight would make it a big task, but it would be a test of stamina and not speed such as the Grade 1s at Aintree or Punchestown on a decent surface.

My own thought exactly fptp! Fascinating though it would be...

The RP did a little exercise today using Denman on top weight at 11st10 and putting all the other remotely fancied horses at the weights they would be in a normal handicap. It came out with fancied beasts like Butlers Cabin on 8st 6 etc LOL. Almost all the field woudl be running out of the handicap. There aren't enough lightweight NH jocks to go around!

If Snowy Morning keeps running as poorly (up until the weights come out) how much would he be getting off Denman?

Wouldn't have the choice Firstpasthepost since Sam Thomas would be on Denman and Ruby one of the other Nicholls or Mullins horses.

If Denman wins the gold cup with thomas on again, how can you take a jockey off a horse that has won the last two gold cups on him? doubt harry would allow it.

Would presume so at the moment Simon there´s been no talk of him being jocked off as yet.

Findlay should be using the best available - if Ruby is available then he´s ridden the horse to victory often enough and also knows various ways to try and get him beat (so knows the horses weaknesses) so they should use him, won´t happen mind.

I would imagine Ruby will stick with Kauto in the Gold Cup. If Thomas wins the Gold Cup on Denman you'd think he would keep the ride, but if he lost it and Denman still went to Aintree then I am sure Ruby would have the choice/option to ride him.

Back