Gold Cup 2009 (was: Denman)

If Ruby wins on Kauto it might make for an interesting interview with Thommo at the very least. I think if I were deadly Derek I'd be inclined to go AWOL

Am I the only one who doesn`t give a shit who rides what. Denman running in the National would be historic and makes the race the contest of the year. All this jockey bollox is so much almost celebrity tittle tattle imo.

I think jockey bookings can be overstated, but similarly it would be foolish to ignore Ruby's record in staying chases. I think you could only regard his piloting as a plus, especially if Thomas is the alternative. I've just got a nasty hunch the whole thing could be academic though.

I agree Euro.

I am now completely sick of the Sam Thomas situation and paul Nicholls etc

Just hope Mullins wipes the floor come Cheltenham and the beloved Ruby might be riding all his horses coz they look an awful lot better than Nicholls' at the moment.

I agree Euro.

I am now completely sick of the Sam Thomas situation and paul Nicholls etc

Just hope Mullins wipes the floor come Cheltenham and the beloved Ruby might be riding all his horses coz they look an awful lot better than Nicholls' at the moment.

Sticking on that theme it will be interesting to see how many rides Townend picks up at Cheltenham when Ruby is not riding.

Gal, what do you think would happen if Mullins has an army much better than Nicholls?
Would Ruby have the balls to pick and choose?

Sticking on that theme it will be interesting to see how many rides Townend picks up at Cheltenham when Ruby is not riding.

Surprised he didn't pick up any outside mounts today.

I'd certainly imagine Ruby will be riding for Mullins in the Supreme/Ballymore and in the bumper at the very least anyway!

Gal, what do you think would happen if Mullins has an army much better than Nicholls?
Would Ruby have the balls to pick and choose?

The relationship he has built up between the trainers seems to allow him to take his pick between them. I think Ruby is well able to decide which horse gives him his best chance of success and take that mount subsequently

If I were Ruby I would ride Neptune Collonges.

Just can't see why myself. I mean, I know he was close in the GC last year (after cutting out the pace) but he's still got to prove he can lay it down to the other two.

Never going to happen anyway, barring injury to the other two.

Where KS is concerned, both Ruby and Nicholls are 'believers'. In addition, PN knows that KS needs Ruby a great deal more than Denman does. I don't imagine the choice is entirely down to him which stable hrose he rides LOL but I'm sure he'd choose KS anyway. Everyone in the camp knows he didn't give his running last year because he wasn't right

I can't see Neptune doing any more this year than he did last - ie setting up a good true pace for the other two, but maybe he has that much improvement in him. It woudl surprise me a lot though

Kauto is dowgrading and Cheltenham is not his course, Neptune was beaten by him by a short head.

About Denman, January and the horse has not run.

Neptune is a massive price at 11/1

It's aline of thought I'm coming round to FWIW

Having said that,

I think there must be some outrageous value in the AP markets? Cahmpion Chase? Gold Cup without Denman?

be intresting if ruby did pick denman, would nicholls want thomas touching the horse after his last ride on him? i was one of the people that said get mccoy on master minded before most the rumours happened, i wouldnt doubt mccoy would get the option of kauto in the gold cup.

Look it's a none issue, let's see what turns up first.

I'd accept Ruby as a bonus, but I wouldn't get too carried away yet

Last edited:
just reading ginger mccains comments in the racing post, saying Denman should go for the Grand National & all the best horses shoud be aimed at it. I just dont agree, the best horses should be aimed at the gold cup in my opinion.

It's aline of thought I'm coming round to FWIW

Having said that,

I think there must be some outrageous value in the AP markets? Cahmpion Chase? Gold Cup without Denman?
There probably is - think you alluded to Petit Robin being value for the Champion Chase. Each way maybe?

Does anyone remember that interview that Harry Findlay did in his house about the Gold Cup last year am sure I remember him saying something along the lines of "When Denman runs in the National He wins"

Surely if he does run he will go off one of the shortist priced Favs in recent years.

Is it worth a lumpy back on Betfair at around 10s now with a view of laying him could even halve in price even before he runs again this year IMO.

He probably will go off pretty short Arial but remember what happened to Double Thriller who was a supposed handicap good thing coming off a run in the blue riband.

Back