Golden Jubilee

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 21 2008, 03:53 PM
Was that US Ranger? He was in all sorts of trouble half way through.
He's just not good enough to win at this level I'm afraid.

But he was staying on nicely at the end :D

The only horses to defy the draw bias? Marchand D'Or and Astronomer Royal...

I wouldn't give up on Sakhee's Secret. The jockey was quite openly negative, I thought, after the rain and the horse was murdered early on.

This guy Best takes a bit of watching, though :suspect:

The campaiging and lacklustre displays of U.S Ranger are one of the few hopes competitors to ballydoyle must have. The horse was never going to win 6 furlong group races in this country. After watching the guineas the only way I could see him winning anything was over a mile+, which is tradionally Aidan O Brien's forte and something he could have realistically done. He won't be the first horse in the history of horse racing to be campaigned wrongly and i'm certainly not being spiteful to connections, just airing my view.

US Ranger

I think the horse needs other conditions
7f, good ground and dominating a smaller field, also quite possible he is not better than a 120 horse.

Maybe he is a dog or not good enough, certainly does appear to have the early pace required in these sprints. Visor next time?

Golden Jubliee
the winner is definitvely a very good horse, 127 at least for me today, I didnt trust in his ratings before becasue I was not sure about the weight for age scale for the 2yo.

War Artist, really nice horse, another top class horse from Australia

Sir Gerry surprised me today but another good nce.

Marchand Dor , really dissapoitning, a pity this top class horse is in the hands of a trainer like Freddy Head, the Maurice de Gheest could be his race again.

Sakhees Secret, dissapointed in the Haydock race, his Palace House form not working and quite possibly the horse has not train on, not one for me at the moment.

Originally posted by sunybay@Jun 21 2008, 10:14 PM
Marchand Dor , really dissapoitning, a pity this top class horse is in the hands of a trainer like Freddy Head, the Maurice de
I think it was a very strong performance given his draw and the behaviour of the jockeys. Similar comment applies to Astronomer Royal. They were the only two to run well from poor draws.

War Artist is a former South African sprinter by the way, not Australian.

Next time we hear that the Southern Hemisphere sprinters are a million miles ahead of Europes lets remember this seasons and last years efforts. Bar Choisir and the good mare last year none of the other challengers have really stamped themselves much superior to our own.

Fair point Gal but they are travelling half way round the world and we do use that excuse regularly with regards to our best stayers being beaten in Melbourne.

Would love to see more international competition, a Grade 1 6f sprint at the Dubai Carnival would be nice (if you´re reading Sheikh Mo)

Originally posted by Gareth Flynn@Jun 23 2008, 10:58 AM
we do use that excuse regularly with regards to our best stayers being beaten in Melbourne.

I prefer to use the excuse that they're badly handicapped.
The traveling excuse might have been a fair reason a few years ago, but any good trainer can travel a horse now a days. We have see that from the traveling of European horses to the US, Far East and indeed Australia.

I agree with Gareth, the Melbourne Cup is not the race in which to compare the merits of the European versus SH horses. I'm surprised Tony Martin hasn't had a shot at it yet with something carrying 7-13.

There are no rules against Northern Hemisphere horses running in the Cox Plate, Caulfield Cup (we´ve won this twice I believe) or the other big cup races down under, Sydney Cup for example.

If we use the excuse that our horses are "badly handicapped" then given how closely the horses are handicapped in the big race if they weren´t carrying top weight (in Yeats case at least) then they aren´t the best horse in the race which seems to be a big argument coming from Europe with regards stayers.

Not sure I get you Martin; although I've had a long day! Yeats was top-weight by half a stone, as was Vinnie Roe the first time (came out best at the weights by 11lbs!), the second time (Godolphin's Mamool was second top, VR again came out best at the weights) and was joint-top with Makybe Diva the third time (VR came out second-best at the weights despite virtually falling over the line).

I can't remember for sure but I think Scorpion was due to carry top-weight.

What I mean is we can´t proclaim our horses the best stayers in the world and then moan when they get given top weight in a handicap. Would it have made all that much difference to the outcome had they been carrying 10lbs less in Yeats case or to Mamool´s chance (I doubt it given he came home jarred up) etc. The only horse it could have realistically effected is Vinnie Roe. I´m not sure what weight Give The Slip had when Hills gave him a shocker to finish second a few years ago but he´s the closest we´ve come (bar Media Puzzle).

The Cox Plate and the other Cup races are all WFA ala the Ascot Gold Cup and Eclipse, not sure what time of year they´re run at but we could contest those if we had something suitable.

Back