Gordon Elliot

Well I did suggest a few weeks ago that it was only a matter of time before Elliott moved as he was employed at Capranny in the same way O'Brien is employed at Ballydoyle.

It will be interesting to see how he manages the non-horse side of the business. Bad debts were not his problem before...they are now. Also be interesting to see if he loses a few owners. Earls was talking about moving his horses back to his own places and Capranny's owner already has another training establishment which could be moved in and could steal some of Gordon's owners. Interesting times for Elliott.

Presumably he will need to build the gallop which will take time. Also, as Ger Lyons found out, changing gallops is an absolute nightmare and you can lose a season or two out of it.

I'd also be interested to hear who is financing the deal. Could be himself, his missus or one of his owners. Or a combination!

PS It looks like a greenfield site so he's gonna have to plough in another half a mill I'd say getting it to a racing yard of 70/100 boxes. Anyone got a clue how much it is to build a yard. I know a block of boxes are not cheap to put up.

Last edited:
Executors sale

Cullentra House and its 78ac farm is a gorgeous country property located at Longwood, Co Meath.
The holding is situated near the village of Longwood and not far from the towns of Enfield and Kinnegad.
The property includes a spacious five-bedroom residence built in the late 1800s and comprises, on the ground floor, an entrance hall, two spacious reception rooms, a dining room, and a drawing room with bay windows and marble fireplaces. The first floor comprises five bedrooms, a bathroom, toilet and store room.
The residence is perfectly habitable but will require some refurbishment.
Lorraine Hendy, of selling agents TE Potterton, Trim, describes the farmland as being in good heart, well fenced and well looked after.
The yard is a combination of modern farm buildings with haybarn and slatted units, along with a traditional courtyard style yard with stone buildings.
The house is set back from the road and approached by a curved tarmac drive through a fine stone entrance fitted with electronic gates, while the extensive grounds contain gardens and the remains of a tennis court.

Presumably he will need to build the gallop which will take time. Also, as Ger Lyons found out, changing gallops is an absolute nightmare and you can lose a season or two out of it.

I have noticed this before with a few different trainers, is it that they have to learn all over again what is required to bring a horse along and get them fit on the new gallop ? The have to 'get to know' their new gallop.

I have noticed this before with a few different trainers, is it that they have to learn all over again what is required to bring a horse along and get them fit on the new gallop ? The have to 'get to know' their new gallop.

Ger went through a season where he could only get his horses fit by running them. They had to harrow deeper into the gallop. Paul Nolan recently said something similar to us when he changed the gallop mix.

I memtioned this thread to someone who chats to Gordon Elliot. He relayed the story to him. Elliot says he will be building the exact same gallop and no horse will go to the new yard until it's 100% finished. That could mean him being in his current yard for the next 12 months.

Last edited:
I memtioned this thread to someone who chats to Gordon Elliot. He relayed the story to him. Elliot says he will be building the exact same gallop and no horse wilk go to the new yard until it's 100% finished. That could mean him being in his current yard for the next 12 months.

Even if he started building now, it would be 6 months before he could move. So 12 months probably sounds right. I wonder will he run horses from both yards. It's a big risk moving a big stable to a new yard so little by little might be the case and see how the gallop goes before moving the rest.

Back