Gordon Elliot

One of the great features of morning gallops Cheltenham Tuesday is the appearance of WPM's batallion of stars.
All other Irish trainers have their horses off the gallops when they appear bar GE whose string stubbornly hold their ground.
His string has been increasing to high 20s in the last few seasons.
Come March they could well be numerically matched horse for horse.
Now that I am looking forward to !

attachment.php

Attachments

• balaclava.jpg
    balaclava.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 108
He's the son of bloodstock agent Aidan Murphy and will be training near his Mother's 350 acre estate near Stratford on Avon in a yard which has 30 boxes.

And will get access to some very nice horses. He'll definitely be one to look out for in a couple of years.

Their place is not far from me, and I could easily be tempted early doors.

In time I wouldn't be surprised if Gigi didn't start placing horses over here given all the multiple entries they have to make in Ireland, and if he gets off to bright start I wouldn't be at all surprised if O'Leary tested the water with him. Short-term it may even pay him to take a punt on a couple of their cast-offs.

Last edited:
He might be used as a hub by Elliott in the way Paddy Sleator did with Arthur Thomas all those years ago ?

History can a funny way of repeating itself.

Bar a few articles in Sean Graham annuals was there ever a proper biography done on Paddy Sleator anyone ?

By all accounts I came across he was light years ahead of the posse.

Last edited:
attachment.php

This Olly Murphy used to p*ss me off no end. I presume it's not the same stocking?

Attachments

• ollie.jpg
    ollie.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 278
He seems to be sound-how long before he trains a Group winner on the flat.

It took just over five years, Luke, from when you posed that question, but his Railway Stakes win with Beckford was his first attempt, in a juvenile Group race at least.

Last edited:
It took just over five years, Luke, from when you posed that question, but his Railway Stakes win with Beckford was his first attempt, in a juvenile Group race at least.

Could the first group 1 winner come at the first attempt.
-

Back