Grand National 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outsider

Journeyman
85 entered and only 31 British horses.
Gordon Elliot has 21.

Royal Pigalle 50/1 seems reasonable at this stage.

And of course Hewick.

I’d want to see a Red Marauder weather forecast before I backed Royal Pagaille, tbh. Can’t see him being allowed to even take his chance on normal spring ground.

I had a speculative pop at Galvin a few weeks back. I think he’s tailor-made for the Nash; an efficient if unspectacular jumper, who stays extreme trips, and won’t mind top-of-the ground. He’d undoubtedly have a lot of weight, but that isn’t so much the hardship nowadays that it used to be.

I also keep looking sideways at Le Milos. I think Skelton is campaigning him quite shrewdly for his run into Aintree; having just the one run after the Hennessy in Kelso’s big chase in a few weeks, and swerving the Festival altogether. I’ll probably add him before the weights are announced.

Last edited:
Iwilldoit can’t run. So that’s my only ante post bet gone. This is the first year I can remember where I can’t summon up any interest in a race that has always been the highlight of my year. And I have no idea whatsoever about who might win it.

Looks like an exceptionally poor renwal that even off top weight Noble Yeates could very well do the double.

David Pipes Remastered catches the eye if we get a wet April he could runa big race.

Hewick will be popular with more than a few members on here but I would worry about him getting the trip

Topweight 11-10
Bottom weight 10-2

So if noble Yeats or Hewick runs 167 (irish mark) then to be in the hcap they will have to be 145.

On Lifetime Ambition at 50s based solely on Jessica's pre season stable tour and she was so forthright about it being the only target.

This race got me into racing, bag of shite now. A 4 mile hurdle on soft ground. Its best ever owner, Trevor Hemmings even lamented it before his death.

Dont actually think you have to be well handicapped anymore to win this, just have a bit of class and stay.

Iwilldoit can’t run. So that’s my only ante post bet gone. This is the first year I can remember where I can’t summon up any interest in a race that has always been the highlight of my year. And I have no idea whatsoever about who might win it.

When a Welsh Grand National winner cannot run something is wrong.
I think sponsors could have some kind of wildcard entry role or have win and you're in races.
The year Salsify did not qualify for Foxhunters Chase despite being a dual winner of the race was another travesty.
No wonder Uk Nh racing is in the doldrums.

Fiddleronthehoof may have left his race at Ascot last year.

He didn't look in great nick and was PU in the Henessy and is now entered at Haydock 10/1 offered but I'd bet the Tizzards won't have him 100% for that either.

He's got 30 lengths to find (5th) but he looks like he's been trained specifically for the race. Had a few quid on at 80 and 70 and took 50/1 ew 5 places 1/4 odds 888

Last edited:

Why cant it run?

Not yet qualified (bizarrely) but has entry this weekend, where I think it would qualify were it to run.

Last edited:
Not yet qualified (bizarrely) but has entry this weekend, where I think it would qualify were it to run.

I thought it had qualified.they only has to run once and it won over 3m+ so I dont understand why he hasnt.
What have I missed.

From the Racing Post

This year’s Randox Grand National has been ruled out for Iwilldoit even if he secures late qualification for the race by running at Ascot on Saturday.

Connections of Iwilldoit have lamented the qualifying criteria for the National, with last month’s Classic Chase winner needing one more run over fences before the end of the weekend to have contested the required six chases in order to compete at Aintree.

Iwilldoit was unable to run at Newbury last weekend due to the good going and the same scenario is predicted to unfold this week despite his entry in the LK Bennett Swinley Handicap Chase.

The going at Ascot is described as good with watering taking place and minimal rain forecast before the weekend.

Iwilldoit’s trainer Sam Thomas said: “We stuck him in at the weekend in case there was rain, but it’s very doubtful he’ll run as the ground has gone.

“He won’t be running in the Grand National this year anyway. It’ll be more for next season.”

The founder of the syndicate that owns Iwilldoit called last week for a review of the qualifying criteria horses have to pass to be eligible for the National.

Chris Morgan, who runs Diamond Racing, pointed to Iwilldoit’s record of four wins from five starts over fences, including the Welsh Grand National, Classic Chase and Welsh Grand National Trial, as evidence that he would be a suitable horse for the Aintree contest.

“He’s run in five chases and won four of them and it seems strange that he has to run in another one to qualify. Possibly they should look at the type of chases a horse wins, whether it’s a Graded or Class 2 race,” he said. “At the same time, you can understand why there is that mark as the Grand National is so testing on a horse.”

The absence of Iwilldoit will further weaken the British challenge for its most famous race. Only 31 of the 85 horses entered for this year’s National are trained in Britain and four of the top five in the betting are in Irish yards.

Those include last year’s winner Noble Yeats, whose success for trainer Emmet Mullins made it five wins for Ireland in the last six editions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back