Grand National Weights

It seems it's one strike and you're out these days.

Which makes the achievements of Hedgehunter quite remarkable - particularly as he was placed in a Gold Cup before finishing second to Numbersixval. What a proper horse.

As for Cloudy Lane, the most pertinent comment came from Ginger before the race. He's not quite made for Aintree and maybe didn't quite enjoy the hustle and bustle of a big field around there. Whereas the last few races, as I said before, were five and seven runner races where his undoubted ability [and lbs in hand on the handicapper] came to the fore.

I can't see him ever winning a National.

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Apr 6 2008, 07:49 PM
It seems it's one strike and you're out these days.

Which makes the achievements of Hedgehunter quite remarkable - particularly as he was placed in a Gold Cup before finishing second to Numbersixval. What a proper horse.

I still don`t understand why the handicapper didn`t give him a chance. He dropped L`Ami a few pounds after finishing out with the washing last year. He may have got placed with 11 2 on his back.

The same person who told me to get on COD at 40/1 in October had been telling me since Hedgehunter's first National to get on him for the following year. "To get that far going so well with the choke out was an immense performance," was the message. (Mind you, he said something similar about Slim Pickings, his back-up selection this year).

I agree about Cloudy Lane. It will never win a National. Now that it's rated 161, it will probably get in off 155 next season but that won't be enough as it'll still be set 11-10 or thereabouts.

Back