Grand National

I think, based on one viewing, that the shoe found lost at the start was a hind shoe so couldn't be the winners.

I'm so pleased that there were no casualties, my Facebook feed will be silent, no food for the antis....they hate that which is grim.

I spent most of the race trying to follow what tidal bay was doing loose! But was kicking myself for not backing the Dr, he really is an incredible talent, and I usually take note, but not today. Still, it was all free betting for me thanks to yesterday.

Glad to hear Tidal Bay is going for the Bet365, I will be cheering him on (again).

Nx

Last edited:
All the bookmakers great deals and offers in the current age splattered all over the internet, in every shop, newspaper they can reach but I see they won't refund on Battle Group. They are funny. Loved the race, great winner, feel sorry for the sore horses and jockeys who took falls during the race. The National remains my bogey race for another season at least betting-wise :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure how much got shown on TV as I was there at the course and haven't seen any TV footage but as they were parading for the Grand National it became a bit farcical in the parade ring. There were too many horses in at once and a few were getting worked up. Triolo D'Alene was one of them, it bucked up and then ended up sat on its arse round by the winners enclosure. It would probably make more sense to let a certain amount parade at a time or something but it was overcrowded with horses and connections and looked like it could have quite easily become quite ugly if it wasn't for the excellent lads and lasses hanging on to the horses that were getting spooked.

They did put a message across the PA system to ask people not to use flash photography. I hadn't noticed any flashes going off when this happened but there loads of Iphone David Bailey's at the front. A surprisingly enjoyable day and managed to get around the parade ring, pre parade ring and front of the stand with no hassle, no queue for the toilet either. Must have found a good spot. I'll upload some photos when I've gone through them all. :thumbsup:

I know parades are for the public but I think they should be stopped. They really do not help the horses keep settled. In most races they are let go as soon as they touch the turf but then when they run in a race that requires a parade they have to wait another 5 minutes. Try explaining that to a horse! I had to do one the other day at a point to point and nearly got dragged over. My horse was not amused!

Echo comments that all Horses and Jocks came back in one piece - Great News.
Should keep some critics quieter for a while.

Well done to the winner Pineau De Re. A bonus to have backed him.

It was a weird race. Enjoyable but weird.

I need to see what happened to Vesper Bell early on. I noticed he was out the back fairly early but had got into a good position quite far on into the final circuit. Alvarado likewise to a certain extent.

When I realised The Package wasn't really taking to the fences despite his prominent position for long enough my attention switched to Prince De Beauchene who looked to be getting a peach of a ride down the Scu Senior route. He just didn't stay.

I think Pineau De Re also overcame a bad mistake early on, plus a few others I noticed on the replay. It was almost impossible to hear the commentary in the brother's house - it's always pandemonium when we're all shouting for different horses - and I only realised PDR had got to the front cantering as they turned for home.

I see Nick Mordin's abandoned stats system found the winner while his new one struck out completely, highlighting the futility of taking one year as a reliable sample.

I was surprised by how well BK ran. he was one of the first I ruled out after reviewing last year's race and I reckoned wherever he did finish this year Big Shu would be ahead of him.

Early days yet, but taking out the stiff middle boards might just prove the best ever modification they've achieved with the National fences, certainly a great result for the horses. Wonder though, if they'll ever reconsider reversing some of the earlier changes, and returning the race to the spectacle (albeit, safer) it always was in the past?
Still need negotiating though, and - as half the field didn't, which would be about average for the ground - still not the refuge for iffy jumpers that many envisaged, (Stand up, Tidal Bay, Long Run, etc :) ). All in all, a much better race than I thought it would be, but the result as much of a mystery as most renewals, recently.

Vesper Bell landed on his belly on the first circuit, jockey did well to stay.

Tidal Bay jumped fine, over the canal turn on the outside and landed on top of Golan Way who had fallen. Horse still managed to dance round him but threw the jockey off.

I think Pineau De Re also overcame a bad mistake early on, plus a few others I noticed on the replay. It was almost impossible to hear the commentary in the brother's house - it's always pandemonium when we're all shouting for different horses - and I only realised PDR had got to the front cantering as they turned for home.

I see Nick Mordin's abandoned stats system found the winner while his new one struck out completely, highlighting the futility of taking one year as a reliable sample.

Isn't that what you're doing ;)

The winner made a number of mistakes, a couple of them jolting ones, disappointing to see a horse jump like that win a National but sadly a sign of the times.

How far up the pecking order should Dr. Newland be regarded among trainers?

Not just today, which obviously helps the argument, but he doesnt seem to let down too many horses, on often brings them on. When his horses are fancied you can be almost guaranteed a good run. I suspect with the right ammunition, he could be up there with the best. Whether he wants that, I dont know.....

I chose to ignore this because the horse was an 11yo and I picked out Battle Group as my best bet :lol: I shall be giving the trainer my upmost respect now no matter what age the horse is. He has a few running today http://www.attheraces.com/article.a...+-+Stable+Tours&nav=stable+tours&sub=&day=Sun

Dr Richard Newland Stable Tour
18 Mar 2014

There were plenty of hard luck stories throughout the four days of Cheltenham with serious injury to horse and rider uncomfortably prevalent.

They put the bad fortune in running scenarios in perspective but one rider who drew blank but might not have with any rub of the green was Sam Twiston Davies.

The baulking that probably cost him the Champion Hurdle on The New One has been well documented but there was another that also got away in Pineau De Re who may well have won the Pertemps Final but for a mistake at the last and was finishing best of all to be beaten a neck into third.

That one was supplied by Dr Richard Newland who also provided Twiston Davies with a fourth place on Ahyaknowyerself in the two and a half mile novice handicap chase.

However, the performance of Pineau De Re may well be a stepping stone to much greater things as the good Doctor has a plan that comes together in the Grand National next month.

It is a good time of the season for Newland, who rotates his squad in Gloucestershire and produces a fine strike-rate all year round.

Here he gives a perspective on his team which have good spring targets and includes some very interesting newcomers.

PINEAU DE RE
11 b g Maresca Sorrento - Elfe Du Perche.
Useful staying handicap chaser has risen from 133 to 143 after winning penultimate start in three mile handicap at Exeter in January beating Tullamore Dew five lengths. Off 140 on subsequent and latest outing in three mile handicap at Cheltenham when fast finishing neck third to Fingal Bay after final hurdle mistake. Is being lined up for Grand National.
"I really felt happy with him going into Cheltenham but I was a bit concerned that he was off the bridle as soon as he was but the way he stayed on was very, very encouraging. I think this is an underestimated horse that is unexposed as a stayer. Although he fell when he tried the Aintree fences Brian Hughes, who rode him, said that he wouldn't be worried about trying him again. The horse had never fallen over fences before and is usually an accurate jumper. We are excited about him for the National and all he doesn't want at Aintree is an extreme of ground. Has a touch of class and will be my first National runner."

The winner made a number of mistakes, a couple of them jolting ones, disappointing to see a horse jump like that win a National but sadly a sign of the times.

The new plastic cores to the fences appear to have been a significant contribution to decreasing injuries. The number of fallers over the National course shows that it still remains a real test but without the traps and the unfairness that used to characterise it . I don't think the fact ,however, that the fences are a bit more forgiving is sad at all .

It must be a very long time since the National winner was running in his 11th race of the season.

Funny enough I see PdR finished down the field in the Summer Plate at Market Rasen last July. Aurora's Encore had done the same the previous year. I wonder can it now be described as a National trial?:)

The theory about the winner not running at Cheltenham needs to be buried forever now. The gap between the two meetings is at its biggest next year as well.

What am I doing, Dante?

I've repeatedly said you should never rule out dodgy jumpers in this race. I've repeatedly said this since Rhyme N Reason won! That was because I had both Maori Venture and RNR top rated in their respective years but dismissed them as unlikely to get round.

And who would have predicted that Teaforthree would have taken a tumble?

Yesterday's result reinforced my assertion that you only win this race if you're well handicapped. Balthazar King was officially 9lbs well in and still couldn't win. I didn't back him because I didn't think he'd stay after watching last year's race again a few times. I dismissed another highly rated runner in Across The Bay for the same reason.

Pineau De Re's chance wasn't as obvious purely on the form book but anyone who saw how easily he won before his arguably unlucky run in the Pertemps final would not have dismissed him.

It must be a very long time since the National winner was running in his 11th race of the season.

Funny enough I see PdR finished down the field in the Summer Plate at Market Rasen last July. Aurora's Encore had done the same the previous year. I wonder can it now be described as a National trial?:)

Some eejit will almost certainly spout it in 50 weeks' time as a trend, cll.

I backed PDR in that MR race...

Not unlike Aurora's Encore and Neptune Collonges, if there is something reassuring about the win, though, it is that the horse has not been hidden the way the likes of On His Own, Prince De Beauchene, Seabass and several others have been over the last few years.

There was a number of horses yesterday with strong chances that I didn't back but would have been happy to see win:
Balthazar King (because they have been totally upfront with it and he has given everything every time this season)
Tidal Bay (ditto)
Teaforthree (ditto)
Rocky Creek (ditto)
Long Run (because he's a Gold Cup winner)

I was glad to see the likes of Monbeg Dude not win. I wasn't sure about his season. I thought if his earlier win at Cheltenham could be taken at face value he'd have a shout but I concluded some time back that that race fell apart in front of him and that maybe he wasn't any better than his Welsh National placing.

I'm looking forward to next year's race already but before that there's the small matter of the Ayr National meeting next week and the Whitbread...

Last edited:
Just been watching some old Nationals on Youtube.

O'Sullevan was fecking terrible in the 75 one. Kept getting his horses mixed up.

Funniest moment was Carl Llewellyn chasing after Beau after he fell in 2001 with only three horses still in the race.

Sunybay deserves a place in that all time National line up

Another horrible race with an unpickable winner after last years debacle.

Donkey Derby

Just been watching some old Nationals on Youtube.

O'Sullevan was fecking terrible in the 75 one. Kept getting his horses mixed up.

Funniest moment was Carl Llewellyn chasing after Beau after he fell in 2001 with only three horses still in the race.

Sunybay deserves a place in that all time National line up

Some of the commentary on this year's wasn't too hot at some stages either.

Take it you know the story after Carl L got Beau that year when he borrowed a mobile and phone NTD?

I never heard much of this year's commentary. It was pandemonium in the brother's house!

I thought I'd heard something bout Pineau De Re making a bad mistake at one point so wasn't looking for it until I checked the colours in the paper about three out when I saw it was going like the winner. i also thought Golan Way had departed early but it was still going when taking out Tidal Bay.

It cant be easy, though, trying to commentate when one is blundering, another unseating, another falling, and people are trying to tell you in your earpiece what happened two fences back.

I'd cut them a bit of slack in this race.

Pineau de Re now rated 151 by Timeform, 7 lb higher than his pre-race rating.

No wonder he was nowhere near their top ratings on Saturday!

That's quite a discrepancy between their figures and Raceform's, who had him on 151 for Exeter. I couldn't go quite as high as that because I don't like to speculate on what a horse had in reserve but [from memory] I was on 149++ for him as he was never asked a serious question that day. Raceform also deserve credit for already having a 150 performance credited to him for his win in Ireland last year. They've now given him 157 for Saturday. I've gone 159+. I think there was a lot of quality in the race and he comfortably beat a horse who was officially 9lbs well in.

Yes, that's a huge one but there is a big difference between trying to call the race midway through the first circuit when most are still in it and the last 6 furlongs when the finish is sorting itself out.

Back