Grand National

delighted all horses and jocks ok. some bemoan the changes that have been made but two nationals in a row with no casualties and no horses injured for the whole meeting has made it more than worthit imo.

All horses and jockeys back safe and sound, all runners in all three races over the National fences safe and sound, still plenty of thrills and spectacles - it's still early days, and I think soft ground is crucial to that trend continuing, but so far so good...long may it continue.

Battle Group isn't an ew bet because of his record of refusing to race.I have him on my short list-he is trained by a shrewd man and you can't disregard his exploits at Aintree last April.I think the way to play him is to have a small bet just before the off if he doesn't look reluctant and have the rest on in running if he jumps the first.I would certainly be looking to lay off in running.

Good call.

Quite an achievement that Alvarado continues the owner's placing record in the National for 6th successive year, 3 different horses, 2 trainers but with Paul Moloney as their jockey on each occasion.

Quite an achievement that Alvarado continues the owner's placing record in the National for 6th successive year, 3 different horses, 2 trainers but with Paul Moloney as their jockey on each occasion.
same ride every time as well. hang back and stay on at the end. i must have backed state of play every year he was in the race.

delighted all horses and jocks ok. some bemoan the changes that have been made but two nationals in a row with no casualties and no horses injured for the whole meeting has made it more than worthit imo.

Absolutely and it can hardly be said that the race was not exciting . It appears to be suggested that it was Tidal bay who was to blame for Across the Bay being carried out - utterly amazing that horse got so close afterwards .

Trends I follow:-

At least one chase win at 3 miles or over
Official rating of 136 or above
At least 10 chase runs in their career
Won a chase worth at least £17k
Weighted below 11st 7
Aged between 8 and 12
At least 3 runs this season

The animals which match the criteria are:-

Teaforthree
Monbeg Dude
Burton Port
Prince De Beauchene
Balthazar King
Double Seven
The Rainbow Hunter
Shakalakaboomboom
Lion Na Bearnai
Chance Du Roy
Alvarado
Battle Group
Raz De Maree
Quito De La Roque

Its a big old list but I'm happy enough to start with 14 rather than 40 before studying the form. I'm also happy in the knowledge that once in a while the winner will not be on this list.

So the winner was not on the list. He missed out only on the value of his biggest chase win by 4K so not much of an adjustment there.

As for placed horses the list contained 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th and a disappointing 16th for my big fancy PDB. Most of the others fell or were brought down apart from the two which have the own ideas about the game (battle Group and QDLR).

I'm still an advocate of this method and will certainly follow it again next year.

Absolutely and it can hardly be said that the race was not exciting . It appears to be suggested that it was Tidal bay who was to blame for Across the Bay being carried out - utterly amazing that horse got so close afterwards .

Beaten 70 odd lengths in 14th. God knows how much ground he lost at the time, as well as the additional energy required to get back into any sort of position. Having listened to Leighton Aspell's account on 5 Live, sounds like it was a very slowly run second half of the race - Across the Bay may have had every chance of being in the shake up barring that incident. Sods law I also backed Tidal Bay who took him out - thanks very much to Golan Way who caused him to unseat at the Canal Turn first time round.

I've been very pro BK running just in case he were to win then I can get him to parade at our point to point in May to draw the crowds in! I'm hoping he's got the perfect profile this year. Loved the owner's interviews last w/e - could be interesting were he to win!

I think the horse is in great form as are all Hobbs' horses - don't forget they have had a huge problem with a virus the past 2 seasons and they seem to be free of it now. My biggest worry is that RJ may let him bowl along too quick (sometimes I think his speedometer is stuck a bit high) and burn him out. But in the XC he was settled just in behind the leaders and more relaxed.

Gutted! He ran a blinder but you have no idea just what a difference it would have made to the public attendance at my point to point!

Very pleased to see Balthazar King ridden more sensibly this year. But kept very wide for most of the race, jumped beautifully and considering he was never saving ground stuck on well to finish second. Teaforthree was on the inside at the Chair and they have to jump very big from there. Exciting race though and all safe.

Last edited:
BK really did run a cracker, probably ran almost too conservative a race - Pineau de Re just kicked away from him in the end. Double Ross also very impressive, some scratchy jumps on the first circuit cost him.

Tidal Bay for the Bet365 Gold Cup anyone? They'll surely be running him again to try and give him one last hurrah.

Teaforthree ended up with his back end in the ditch of the chair. Visible from the RUK camera shot on the inside. Didnt seem to be asked for a big one, but put down on Scholfield.

Tidal Bay looked to be enjoying himself - he was very nimble to escape being brought down but threw Sam TD off in the process .

BK really did run a cracker, probably ran almost too conservative a race - Pineau de Re just kicked away from him in the end. Double Ross also very impressive, some scratchy jumps on the first circuit cost him.

Tidal Bay for the Bet365 Gold Cup anyone? They'll surely be running him again to try and give him one last hurrah.

a showdown with Roalco des Farges.

a showdown with Roalco des Farges.

Nicholls has tweeted that Tidal bay " very grumpy" at being brought down and goes for the bet 365 Gold Cup . Whether that entitled him to take his frustration out on Across the Bay is another thing !

I'm very pleased Tidal Bay and Long Run being the top weights are both okay. Both were well treated for a park handicap, but anything carrying more than 11st in the National has a mountain to climb. Only one of the first 16 (the 5th) managed to carry above 11st this year.

Last edited:
He was actually very good down at the start. Spotting the shoe was good work.

I agree. When he's doing general 'commentary' (obviously not race commentary but just talking about what's happening IYSWIM) or chatting with another presenter you can see how much he has improved. It's the godawful interviews he's made to do which are his weak point; he's not a natural interviewer and he comes off as uncomfortable, stilted and superficial. TBF some of that is down to the producers thinking that a trainer's 6yo daughter or a cocktail bartender will make an interesting interview subject in the first place.

Alvarado was finishing 'like a train', if he had had him closer maybe....... Looked some nasty falls and although they say now all okay, it will be the next couple of days which will reveal anything. I hope they are really all okay.

Agree totally - was a bit worried about Tidal Bay when he ran through the railing - it was great to hear that all were OK.

Alvarado was finishing 'like a train', if he had had him closer maybe....... Looked some nasty falls and although they say now all okay, it will be the next couple of days which will reveal anything. I hope they are really all okay.

Long Run has a small hematoma on his shoulder but will be OK

Nice race. Lots of action, but no casualties...perfect.

Got a nice run fory money with D7. Unusually, no horse departed when looking like he'd go close. Anybody going well while falling departed on 1st circuit.

Fair play to backers of the winner. He would not have been in my Top 10 before the race.

Just seen this report on the RP!!

Jockeys stage mutiny after start inquiry

By Lee Mottershead 7:16PM 5 APR 2014
THE most extraordinary scenes linked to Saturday's Crabbie's Grand National took place not on the racecourse but behind closed doors as 39 of the 40 riders staged a mass revolt by collectively refusing to leave the weighing room to hear the outcome of a stewards' inquiry into farcical scenes at the start.
All riders with the exception of Brendan Powell, whose mount Battle Group planted himself at the start, now face being punished by the BHA after not a single jockey obeyed the stewards' instructions to hear the result of their deliberations.
A BHA spokesman said only one rider or a representative of the weighing room was required to be present for the reading of the inquiry's findings but none were willing to co-operate.
The case will now be heard at the BHA's London headquarters where a panel will not only make public the suspensions dished out to the 39 jockeys for their actions at the start but additionally decide how to deal with their act of rebellion.
The inquiry had been called to determine why all but one of the riders attempted to form a line before the Grand National's official 4.15 start time had been reached. Minutes later an official false start was recorded after the tape was broken.
The racecourse inquiry had attempted to investigate whether the riders had lined up before being invited to do so and subsequently disobeyed the starter's instructions, additionally putting the safety of one of the starting staff at risk.

How far up the pecking order should Dr. Newland be regarded among trainers?

Not just today, which obviously helps the argument, but he doesnt seem to let down too many horses, on often brings them on. When his horses are fancied you can be almost guaranteed a good run. I suspect with the right ammunition, he could be up there with the best. Whether he wants that, I dont know.....

Agree Hawk Wing.
He can improve horses no end.
The last Ulster National winner to follow up at Aintree was probably Caughoo in 1947.
A great result for the jockey as well given he had retired in 2007 only to make a come back.

Back