Great Weekend In Dublin 2010

Grey

Senior Jockey
After last year's enjoyable event people have been asking might we arrange another one this year.

Notice is short, but the re-arranged schedule which provides racing at Leopardstown on Sat 23 and Sun 24 January seems an ideal opportunity, especially since I'm going to be over that weekend anyway for a stable visit to Colm Murphy's on the Saturday morning.

Access to Leopardstown for anyone coming from abroad is straightforward. An Aircoach service from Dublin airport to Sandyford Industrial Estate leaves you 10 minutes walk from the entrance to the enclosures, so a Saturday morning arrival and Sunday evening departure is perfectly feasible.

Saturday night entertainment will include a meal somewhere in town, and we will have a table in Krystle for later on, so don't bother with the wellies.

I hope some of you can make it.

I've already booked flights etc. for a day trip on Sunday. Available from Liverpool for £19.99 return + booking fee/card transaction card (will still be less than £40).

If anyone in the NW area fancies it then the times are below:

Liverpool (06.30) - Dublin (07:20)
Dublin (20:30/22:55) - Liverpool (21:15/23:40).

For anyone interested in making a proper weekend of it and staying in Bewleys in Leopardstown on Friday night, I have three spaces in my car on Saturday morning for anyone interested in going to see Colm Murphy's stable stars. The tractor will leave for Wexford on Sat morning at 6.30am and be back in time for racing in Leopardstown that afternoon. This offer applies to the Irish based folk too if they would like to visit the yard.

I've kind of lost track of the difficulties involved with flying via Ryanair.

Fares seems to include 'charges and taxes' but they're adding a fiver for 'online check in'. Is that only if you are checking luggage into the hold? Is it just a fiver into Ryanair's pocket for not having anyone there to help you at the airport? Do I pay the fiver if I've only got hand luggage?

They really know how to put people off travelling, don't they?

I've kind of lost track of the difficulties involved with flying via Ryanair.

Fares seems to include 'charges and taxes' but they're adding a fiver for 'online check in'. Is that only if you are checking luggage into the hold? Is it just a fiver into Ryanair's pocket for not having anyone there to help you at the airport? Do I pay the fiver if I've only got hand luggage?

They really know how to put people off travelling, don't they?

Oh, please!!!

Don't worry about how they put together the price, just look at the final cost. I'd be surprised if the final amount was more than £50 or £60 for a return flight which is the best value going for any mode of transportation. It will probably cost you as much to get to the airport and back.

Punchestown annual badge holders have a reciprocal arrangement for the Leopardstown MCR hurdle day and presume this reciprocal arrangement will be honoured on the new rearranged date.

I shall be in attendance, hopefully its as good as the last day!! Have we anyone available with something that can run in the Champion Hurdle? We normally do...

Have a look at Skyscanner, DO. The prices they quote take the "obligatory extras" into account but leave out the insurance and extra bags.

I shall be in attendance, hopefully its as good as the last day!! Have we anyone available with something that can run in the Champion Hurdle? We normally do...

Well Colm will have Voler in the Champion so do associations count??

I saw Inca over Crimbo and the lads were saying that they might prep him for the Irish Champion, he was in such good form and after seeing the Kempton Christmas Hurdle they reckoned he could take those young bucks!!

I'll have Blenkinsopp schedule the Lear jet. The manor house will be available to those without accommodation, and the Bentleys will be at your disposal.

Oh, if only! Sounds super - have a glorious time. Dessie, remember the old adage: "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"? Stay home and save up for that outing to the cinema in November. You complain bitterly when I make Harry Lauder references, but you sound like a cartoon Scot every time the issue of price comes up! Surely to God all that time working out 'edges' and buying out-of-date steaks has coughed up the price of a cheap ticket? If it can't/doesn't, I'd give up, I really would, throw caution to the wind, and just try to enjoy life a bit more!

I would if I could afford to...

I'd quite fancy finding a way of getting to Leopardstown that weekend if I can afford it. I probably can't so probably won't go.

When you're trying to pay two six-figures mortgages, rent a flat, run two cars, keep a kid at uni, keep a granny alive, spoil the other half, you need to try and make every pound a guinea.

No-one who knows me has ever described me as mean. I find it hurtful but I'm a sensitive idiot.

I understand there are a few hurdles in the way of Betsmate making the trip.

Eight in total, actually...

Last edited:
Back