Greyhound Racing

I know, Brian - as have the anti-shooting and anti-racing campaigns, at least. But the campaigns are all stepping up a gear & gaining more publicity now that the various organisations don't have all their time taken up with foxhunting.

I have just seen an advert for the retired greyhound trust. Are they a worthy charity does anybody know?

Kathy

Yes indeed they are, I will give you a name and address if you are interested in following up.

Cheers
Trevor

I know someone who does timing for Cowdray Park's polo matches and is desperately horsey-countified, but even she doesn't like the mechanics of the sport, viz. the issue raised quite reasonably in the letter.

The ponies are raced at great speed, with the accent on sharp and sudden turns - great bursts at the gallop for short distances, with manoeuvres such as 'riding off', where one rider deliberately leans his horse in on the other to intimidate it and put the other rider off his stroke. Of course there are great stresses on the horses' bodies, especially spines, pelvises, hips, and all the leg joints. They are then tied down with martingales (and yanked around by Pelham bits) so that they can't throw their heads up too far when given very strong aids to accomplish all the twisting and turning necessary. They're also driven by spurs. So you have an animal which has to go from a stand to a full-out, 'spike' activity, turn on its hindquarters at the gallop, lean left and right on command, and come to a virtual full-stop when needed, from the gallop, many times during a chukka.

Of course it all takes its toll, although some ponies are still playing in their teens, and one pony won't play through all the chukkas.

I don't have a problem with anyone, horsey or non-horsey, raising what are quite reasonable questions about the stressors on sport animals, whether they're muscular, skeletal, or mental. I think that these inquirers should be treated with respect and commonsense replies, and not just reactionary responses which are defensive and subjective. The downfall of much of the hunting fraternity was that it kept avoiding the true response it should've given - that it just LIKED hunting and wanted to continue it. Obfuscations about heritage and tradition work about as well as saying that's why we should still have bear-baiting or public executions.

There is a vast amount of information now available, because of the Internet, on the various ailments besetting sporting equines, so it's not as if the subject isn't constantly being examined, evaluated, and researched. There are many more products to assist equine health, and there are considerable advances made in surgical procedures, too, but I do think that it's worth asking whether animals are being asked to produce too much for our pleasure at times.

Polo ponies have mouths of iron, due to the hauling and yanking that goes on. It's not a sport of subtle riding techniques. The natural reaction to having someone wrenching your mouth around is to throw your head up to avoid the bit. That's why they're all fitted with standing martingales, so that the head can only go up SO far, and no further. To me, this is a brutal way to treat a horse, and it's the reason the Cowdray Park time-taker, although she loves the excitement of the game, hates the way the ponies are ridden.

I can't agree with you there, Kri. I have worked in polo over the years, and I can't buy that it's cruel, I'm afraid. Similar to racing, the horses are kept in very good conditions, and again, similar to racehorses, the majority enjoy what they are doing! Yes, it is a fast-paced and sometimes violent sport but I can't buy that is is particularly cruel (with the exception of the way the Argentines can treat their ponies, which can be very cruel). The ponies love playing, they get very excited at a match & hyped up.

As for having mouths of iron - not necessarily. They have a lot of metalwork in their mouth, granted, but that at least means that they have brakes, for their own good as well of that of the riders! I have ridden many, many polo ponies in their daily exercise and although you do get the odd strong one, the majority can be held with your little finger whilst cantering around the field - and yes, that's riding one and leading four in headcollars!

Now the pedantic bit - :P - the vast majority of playing ponies have running gags in their mouths rather than pelhams.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jul 1 2005, 05:29 PM
Now the pedantic bit - :P - the vast majority of playing ponies have running gags in their mouths rather than pelhams.
We had a running gag on here. It was about Aidan O'Brien and the July Cup. But an objection to it was lodged.

Getting back to Greyhounds, we are seriously thinking about offering a home for a retired dog or bitch but know absolutely nothing about them, we have two working Huskies which live in at night so they would all meet up, oh and two small rugrats, so obviously they would need to be fantastic with kids (as are our slightly mental but cuddly boys ). Its just an idea at the moment and I want to find out as much as poss before going any further. I have found a few websites on rescue but anybody with info from the horses (dogs) mouth would be great.

I have several friends who have ex-racing greyhounds as pets and they are great. They are very affectionate & contrary to popular belief, do not need loads fo exercise - they are often happier curled up in a corner!

I'm not sure that they'd all be good with kids though as I'm sure the majority of racing greyhounds won't have come across kids very often - my border collie is fantastic but she isn't the best around children as she is not used to them, once they start pawing her she has a tendency to growl at them. To be honest, I think that the majority of dogs have to be brought up around children to be very good with them and I would never trust a dog enough to leave it unsupervised with a young child - they are only animals after all and if they feel threatened they will naturally react.

Thanks Shadow, maybe I should rethink, as the rescue centres are not really going to know if they are good with kids or not, they might have an idea they are, or have been told that they are. but would never be 100% sure. I think maybe a pup would probably be better all round and since I am at home being a child slave it would be the ideal time. Couple of the reasons for the retired greyhound idea was because I had heard about the lazy laid back attitude and to be able to help a needy doggy out.

I agree totally about leaving children and dogs alone together, never have and never would, its not the dogs being naughty I worry about its the children with the dogs. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't meaning to put you off, Isty! I do agree with you though that where kids & dogs are concerned a puppy is a better idea. I meant the same as you, too - it's the kids that are the ones that tend to cause the trouble! My Dad's slapper has two young kids & they pull his elderly Springer Spaniel all over the place, yanking her ears and the like. Charlie, the youngest, tried to yank Molly's (my dog) ears & she growled and snapped at him. I really couldn't tell her off, and actually wanted to praise her.

I have drummed into the kids since they were tiny that calm and gentle will get them better friends with the dogs than being loud and boistrous (sp) they are very good but both dogs and kids forget themselves sometimes and it just aint worth it.

You have put into words what I was thinking really (about the greyhound) what I dont want to do is go down the path of looking seriously into it i.e. contacting rescue centres and then let them down (the centres) by saying no thanks I'm just not sure, once they've gone to the trouble of introducing dogs and doing home vetting.

Hi Isty

Our Final Furlong syndicate have recently retired a dog and are looking for a home for him. If you so wish I can arrange for you to have a 'trial' period of a couple of weeks for you and your family to get to know him to see if things would work out. No problems if they dont, we would take him back.

http://www.finalfurlongracing.co.uk/final/Dog1.jpg

Click on the above link and it should give you a picture of him with his young kennelhand in front of the podium.
No problems at all if you do not want to take him, thanks for thinking about giving a greyhound a loving home.

Regards
Trevor

Oh crumbs Trevor dont do this to me, he's lovely, but we live in Scotland and I'm sure you must be the other end of the country (sods law). He does look fantastic though and at least I would know where and whom he came from. See you got me getting my hopes up now.

Just as an aside :D

How old is he?
Whats his name? and is he good with small children i.e. 3 and 4 (probably the worst ages)

Isty - I hate to do this to you....but Trevor lives in County Durham, so just down the road!!! Dunno where the dog is though...

Hi Isty

No pressure at all pet, just take your time and think it over, no problem where you live, I wont say anything to the other syndicate members until you make up your mind.

His race name is Minglers Tiger and his breeding is:(click on the link)

http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=gx8Fy-&d=minglers+tiger

He is a 5 year old dog, gentle but strong.

If you are STILL interested I will contact the trainer who will let you know more about him than anyone else.
I realise it is a big step for you and your family, so take your time to decide. Dont worry about being in Scotland either, it is a lovely place to live !!!
If you want to see him win one of his races, click on the link below:

http://www.finalfurlongracing.co.uk/tiger/race.wmv

I hope it works.

Best regards
Trevor

Oh, dear old MINGLERS! I remember you posting about him several times over on FF, trevor, and seeing photos of him - a lovely, genuine dog. Good luck with finding the boyo a loving new home - he certainly deserves no less, bless him. :)

I pm'd you Trevor and the film clip worked fine. You do realise you have a sap here who cant resist dont you.

Scotlands fine to live in but not much sun tan weather I'm afraid, luckily its not that far up the way so we get better weather than up North.

Hi Again

Paul ( the main man who knows Tiger best ) is going to write a wee bit on here under my name, maybe tonight or tomorrow morning.

Cheers
Trevor

Tiger is a very laid back dog who we have owned for nearly two and a half years. He is approximately 34 kgs in weight and a lovely brindled colour.

He was a decent dog in his prime and we retired him deliberately as we'd become attatched to him and didn't want him to get hurt, although Ken the trainer was quite happy to carry on, because there is very little wrong with him physically.

However Mona (Ken's wife and I) overruled him :D and he has been in resting kennels near Walsall for the last three months. ken does not let any dog go from his kennel which he thinks isn't exceptional pet material. Both ken and Mona feel Tiger would be an excellent pet.

He will require very little in the way of exercise (2 twenty minute walks a day will suffice) because greyhounds are very laid back animals and used to sleeping all day. They are also very intelligent animals and very quickly become used to routines in the house.

I am quite happy to send you an information leaflet Isty - or anyone else who is interested in homing a dog for that matter, or you can e-mail me at kcrazyjoe@aol.com

best wishes to all
Paul (crazyjoe from the FF Forum)

and thanks Trevor for allowing me a platform

Thank you for that Paul I will email you asap with my queries/questions. He certainly sounds a goodun and if he does come here will be loved to bits and spoilt rotten.

Hi Isty

Hope you can take up Paul's offer, it is a cracking weekend. Just go and enjoy yourself, no strings attatched and a few winners included !!!

Cheers
Trevor

Back