Greyhound Racing

Originally posted by manorboy@Sep 3 2005, 01:48 PM
My sources close to teh action tell me they're trying to do a deal whereby only part of the Wimbledon site is sold off for development with the track remaining.
Regrettably, Manorboy, I don't see this happening. I think it'll be sell-all-or-sell-none regarding the entire site. And, though suspicious by nature I might well be, I think any talk of keeping the track part for racing is just a subterfuge by the current owners in order to keep the greyhound lobby "sweet" and on-side. Anyway, I cannot see that such an arrangement would be logistically or financially viable in the long run. A racetrack only ............... with no facilities or parking or access???

Agree with you that it is unbelievable that the situation has come to this. It is extraordinary that eighty years of greyhound racing in the capital could well be coming to an end. It isn't as if the sport is unpopular (Walthamstow is Britain's best-attended venue). Just that Big Money has all the power nowadays and the developers have had their eyes on these venues for quite some time now. Unfortunately, not much thought is given to the trainers and other staff and the 1,000 or so dogs that face an uncertain future if this comes to pass.

Looks as though the latest decision of the GRA reported in today's Racing Post to dispense with BAGS racing at Wimbledon is the first nail in the Plough Lane coffin :cry:

Without the hassle of a BAGS contract it will be much easier to close the track.

When Eastville Stadium (Bristol) was sold a few tears back similar stories were put forward about how Bristol would always have greyhound racing even though IKEA were going to build a retail out let on that particular site. Four years on - never gets a mention, no plans. So don't build your hopes up about saving Wimbledon.
Not that I would worry personally, I think it's a dreadful circuit for dog racing. They only got the Derby because of their location. Monmore's the future home of our Derby. You heard it here first.

As nice as Monmore is, surely it's nowhere near big enough Diver?
Also the Derby is sponsored by William Hills, and Monmore is owned by Ladbrokes, so I can't see that happening myself.

I'm another who won't miss Wimbledon one bit. Since their so called improvements the place has become a dump. Fences around the track, restrictment of movement once your in the poxy stadium, and the most expensive side has room for no more than about 300 people who are all forced to stand right in front of the bookmakers leaving not enough room to swing an ant, never mind a bloody cat. This makes it very difficult to get a bet on, as you have to fight your way through a crowd, many of whom have no intention of having a bet.
The last few times I visited Wimbledon I ended up watching the greyhound racing from indoors on a tv screen. Now I didn't drive 20 miles fighting my way through traffic to see the action on a bloody tv screen.
No wonder nobody bothered to go once it was on channel 425.
By the way, we on FF will be looking to home another of our greyhounds in the very near future, so if anyone knows anybody who might like to take him please let us know. :D

Ted,
My suggestion re Monmore was a bit tongue in cheek. However from a racing circuit point of view it takes some beating. Sheffield is a good galloping track too, but it's location would rule it out. Now that Pelaw Grange has gone 'official' it might come into the calculations( ........pause........while Trev stops p*ssing himself).

Hi Diver

I will put it to Jeff to put the stadium forward for consideration (lol)
Joking apart though the facilities put Sunderland and Brough to shame and the service in the bait cabin is superb, nice and friendly and very appetising.
Welcome one and all for a night out if anyone is in the area and the beer is on me.

Cheers
Trevor

I'll be up before Xmas to see my mother (East Stanley). I usually manage one night at Pelaw and one at Sunderland. Eee, when Ah wes a lad they wor both flappers ye nah.
Hope we can have a beer Trev. We'll both have enough to buy after Monday!

Back