Haydock Betfair Chase weekend

Diamond Geezer

Gone But Not Forgotten
Seven entries for the Betfair Chase

Ballynagour, Cue Card,Dynaste,Holywell,Menorah, O'faolins Boy and Silviniaco Conti.

Eight entries for the Betfair Price Rush Hurdle

Irving, Melodic Rendezvous, Sea Lord, Top Notch, Fou Et Sage, Purple Bay, Sign Of A Victory and Commissioned.

All over Tea for Two in the Fixed Brush. Nick luuurrrveees to target this race and whilst the horse was a bit of a disappointment fto at Chepstow the ground was on the lively side for him that day and this is his major target I would think. His mark is only half a stone or so higher now than it was for the Lanzarote so no question he's well handicapped. Managed to get some 16/1 on Saturday, expect he's shorter now (can't look as at work though)

Had a look at Jeremy Scott's website - Apparently they were pleased with the last run from Melodic.
"beaten by a better horse on the day" - Scott
I'd say Irving is probably a better horse full stop, but if Irving were to miss this race then Melodic is interesting...
2 miles on bad ground around a track like Haydock has brought out one of his best runs to date and could well do again.

Last edited:
Had a look at Jeremy Scott's website - Apparently they were pleased with the last run from Melodic.
"beaten by a better horse on the day" - Scott
I'd say Irving is probably a better horse full stop, but if Irving were to miss this race then Melodic is interesting...
2 miles on bad ground around a track like Haydock has brought out one of his best runs to date and could well do again.

seemed to me Irving looked a different [better] horse other day..interesting to see what he does now

Agree, I saw him in the flesh winning the Fighting Fifth last year and was very impressed, I thought he'd be a challenger to Faugheen in the Christmas Hurdle but that is when he lost his form.

I'm hoping he'll go back to Gosforth (I'll be attending that if any of you lot are there btw), and that'll also give Melodic a chance at Haydock on Saturday.

Last edited:
his form suggests that he is best fresh which could mean he might dip again if turned out quickly is only thing that tempers interest..another one to wait and see what happens next run with

Top Notch hasn't done much wrong but he'll be an odds-on chance if Irving comes out.

Melodic would appear the value to me if that happened.

Am going on Saturday, good meet for me last year with 3 winners Gas Line Boy, On Tour and SC at decent prices - risk/reward too high for SC at evens this year - not quite bent my head around the sticks form yet, so cheers for the thread !

Last edited:
Is it just me or is the Betfair getting extremely repetitive nowadays?

Well, I'm not sure the million quid bonus has made much of a difference. I thought some of the Irish stables would be having a look. But maybe the bonus was announced too late, it feels like it was only a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
No sign of Minella

Seems weird that jonjo/JP should be giving a winable world hurdle the elbow by sending both More of That and Minella Rocco over fences but that seems to be the case.

I wouldn't bet on that being the case come March 17th if Rocco is as good as they think........

Silviniaco Conti looks nailed on to win the Betfair and while Irving will be fancied for the hurdle he'll most likely get his ass handed to him on a plate by Top Notch..imvho :0)

I am at Haydock just now rain has been heavy during the course of the day more rain forecast as well. Think going could become Heavy.

Seems weird that jonjo/JP should be giving a winable world hurdle the elbow by sending both More of That and Minella Rocco over fences but that seems to be the case.

I wouldn't bet on that being the case come March 17th if Rocco is as good as they think........

Word round here is that despite his engagement today, Holywell will be the stable's World Hurdle horse

Cue Card/Top Notch double for me........with greater confidence in the latter. Agree with Tanlic *faints* :lol:.........think Top Notch is very useful, and tough-as-nails to boot, for one so young.

Cue Card is probably not particularly wise, as I do have my doubts about whether he will get 3m, but sentiment and Brennan's enthusiasm have got the better of me. I hope CC's Charlie Hall wasn't a flash-in-the-pan, and if he runs close to his best, he can put-up a decent show.

Wouldn't dream of opposing Top Notch but I was wondering should I let my heart rule my head and back Cue Card....now I have read your post, no way are you geting one up on me Grassy so I will back em both too.:lol:

Back