Haydock Betfair Chase weekend

No bet but that was fantastic. Everything stacks up and I think they have the horse better than ever now

its a credit to the trainer too. They worked well to get him back

I love this horse

Gold cup now? Surely he can go the extra distance?

Last edited:
brilliant. absolutely hacked up.

this season is crazy for these comeback horses. bobs, sprinter & now cue card.

brilliant. absolutely hacked up.

this season is crazy for these comeback horses. bobs, sprinter & now cue card.

are we now at a stage whereby they are more likely to come back to full capacity.. For want of a better word..than not? Can sort of add sir des champs to that list too

i think once and for all that kgv blow up, which just looked peculiar at the time, can be put to rest.

What a fascinating race. Personally I think SC went too hard out in front given the ground and got tired. I also wonder with a staying chaser who needs his first run - would a spin over hurdles really do as much good as a blowout over fences?

Cue Card amazing, not quite as good as he was for me given how SC blew up but really not far off - 175 at least.

As for the King George, would sooner be with the Nicholls horse at a bigger price.

I was at kempton that day and sc was given a tough work out. Have to believe he was not ready today under nichols

Last edited:
PN on ML this morning did say, even though he'd had an outing over hurdles, he could have done with another two weeks for SC as he came into training late this season owing to a minor ailment.

Agreed. Will need. to be 3 exceptional horses finishing in front of him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Went today, only one winner on Rock the Kasbah. P*ssed off with Whychwoods brook brought down when travelling really well, then double whammy with Straidnahanna powering up front falling at the second last in last race- never mind, gave me a quick getaway, screwed up ticket kicked into touch as I marched away. Was close to SC in paddock at second stand heard Nichols say to Fehily "... yep, came a shade too early for him ..." so take what you want from that.

I think Cue Card was as good today as he has ever been, great to see it. The race was won in the back straight when Paddy Brennan pressured Silvi for the lead before easing back and sitting in again coming round the home bend.

What a fascinating race. Personally I think SC went too hard out in front given the ground and got tired. I also wonder with a staying chaser who needs his first run - would a spin over hurdles really do as much good as a blowout over fences?

Cue Card amazing, not quite as good as he was for me given how SC blew up but really not far off - 175 at least.

As for the King George, would sooner be with the Nicholls horse at a bigger price.

Pretty obvious from the replay that Cue Card won with speed, rather than stamina, and PN did say afterwards that SC raced lazily and would probably sport blinkers in the KG. Be surprised if the result isn't reversed there, too.

Last edited:
That a horse can win Champion Bumper as a 4 year old and still be able to win like that so many years later says so much for him and the Tizzards.
Paddy Brennan the perfect jockey for him to fill him with confidence as well.
Rock on rock on !

The forgotten horse yesterday is Irving. That's two back to back top performances since his breathing op. Something was clearly amiss last season, and just like Cue Card he looks better than ever.

The forgotten horse yesterday is Irving. That's two back to back top performances since his breathing op. Something was clearly amiss last season, and just like Cue Card he looks better than ever.

I can't agree, Paul.

Irving had a race fitness advantage over Top Notch, and whilst he was in command at the end, I wouldn't particularly fancy him to confirm the form if they were to meet again.

I backed Irvine yesterday Grassy and said exactly the same thing to friends after the race. Cue Card was fantastic to watch. Had backed him for me and a mate, so was just watching him the whole race and just felt so confident watching it. Changed mind on backing the last winner at 8's 5 mins before the race after seeing his last run was over 5 furlongs less and thought the ground might find him out. Could have turned a good day into a great day.

You get the feeling with Irving that he's best when dominating small fields with no pace in the race, same could be said of Ptit Zig. Come the turn of the year in the Championship races when it hurts they wave the white flag.
Also great to see Cue Card back, also Paddy Brennan who is a top jock, I'd have him ride over Jacob anytime. Still can't see him getting up the hill though.

Last edited:
I'd back Irving to confirm the form, at least on a flat track. The jury remains out on a stiff track until he proves otherwise. I thought he won with a fair bit in hand after losing a few lengths with scruffy jumps late on. To my eye Top Notch looked tight enough, and he didn't lack for fitness first time out last year and Henderson would have had him ready.

Both of his runs this year have been significantly better than anything he's done since before his Champion Hurdle flop in 2014. I would imagine Timeform will confirm that on Monday. I'd also add that I rate his win over Melodic Rendevouz in The Fighting Fifth as comparable to My Tent or Yours beating the same horse two years ago, and much better than his win in the same race last year. Whichever way you look at it, it's hard to argue that it's a huge step forward from his form last year, and he's put it in back to back which he's failed to do for a long time.

Back